Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2012-2013 - The LaBahn Era Begins

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    Games at Ridder still feature individuals in WCHA fleece sitting in booths behind the goals turning on red lights when they believe the puck has crossed the goal line.
    And when was the last time you saw them consulted after a questionable goal/no-goal? With two refs + two linesmen + the overhead video camera the goal judge has become obsolete.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      And when was the last time you saw them consulted after a questionable goal/no-goal? With two refs + two linesmen + the overhead video camera the goal judge has become obsolete.
      Probably, but as a spectator, I still like when the red light comes on. I usually see that before I notice a referee signaling a goal.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Any other LaBahn critiques?
        Don't know how it happened, but we were on the glass on the center line. There's even less room there that there is in normal seats due to the plexiglass behind the scorer's table. My knees were really jammed, but it's not a place I'd normally sit anyway. The guy sitting behind me repeatedly tried to put his boot up my arse. I mean over and over. I'd reach down and shove his foot back, and five minutes later, Oops, there it is. Annoying. We didn't find the seats very comfortable, so my wife is taking one of the foam Bucky pads we used at Camp Randall some years ago. Hope they'll let her in with it. I too wish there was another concession stand, but we'll see how it goes when there are less people present this Friday. Overall a great rink to watch hockey, and I really liked the standing rail as well. That's a nice feature. I think it'll work out fine.
        "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...-W-Hockey.html

Four game non-winning streak (shootout wins not included) which is longest in 10 years. Hopefully, that will come to an end Friday night.

Comment

I too felt the seats were too narrow and the snack rail all the way around was a really neat feature.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I finally got to LaBahn last night, after being out of town opening weekend, and wow, I was disappointed. If I was giving a letter grade, I'd give it a D.

Many of the issues have already been mentioned.

The biggest problems are the seats which are quite possibly the most uncomfortable things I've ever sat on. There is just no room. I'm 6'0'' and I have to sit with my knees bent in at a rediculous angle. Even then, if someone had been in front of me, I would certainly had my boot up someone's arse, as had been previously mentioned. Every time I looked down, my feet were hanging well over the seat in front of me. Even my 5'2'' tall wife, was noticing how little room there was and that should never ever happen! I usually sit on the glass, and I don't see how that would even be possible since there is even less leg room there. The back rests are horrible too, being way too far forward, forcing you to lean forward the entire game. By the second period my back and knees were actually in pain!

The video board is nice, except that because of the design of the second floor/press box area which hangs out above the goal, you can't see it if you are sitting basically anywhere inside of the blue line on that end of the ice. That wouldn't be too big of a deal, as some trade offs are going to happen, but that's another reason why I find it so strange they would have the Badgers shooting at that end of the ice twice.

The other big thing to me was the atmosphere is just dead. I'm not sure exactly how to quantify it, but it just has a very sterile feel inside the rink. I have realistic expectations of what you are going to get at a women's game, but compared to say Ridder, it just seems like something is missing.

On the positive, the outer concourse with all of the Badger Hockey history displays were very nice and very well done. I could, and I'm sure will in future weeks, spend a lot more time looking through that stuff.

But ultimately, LaBahn feels like a practice rink where they decided at the last minute to throw in a couple of rows of seats. It may not be quite that bad, but if I'm a casual fan, the quality of the experience of going to a womens game has actually gone down from last year. If that was my first time ever going to a game, I can't say that I'd be in any hurry to go back, which is certainly not how I felt after going to my first womens game back in 06. Considering that every game will apparently be played when the Kohl Center is empty, I'd say they should consider moving the games back into the Kohl and just let be LaBahn be purely for practice. It won't happen of course, but I'd like to see support for the women's game to grow, and I don't think LaBahn is going to help move things in that direction.

Comment

I do agree with you on some points. I think a "D" is a little harsh, but so be it. I'm hoping that the UW already is planning/budgeting for some upgrades. They need to have some kind of video display on the opposite end. I like to sit on the end where the Badgers shoot twice and it's odd that at least 20-25% have no/limited view of the main scoreboard. That should be an easy solution as wall space is available for an upgrade.

The atmosphere issue has some different components. First, this year's squad isn't going to score as much as we are used to. With the notable exception of Decker, it's not an explosive team. I expect a lot of close low scoring games at home. Next is the UW's band reluctance to regularly show up for games. Grand opening was nice, but we didn't score and they seemed pretty quiet for the whole night. I mention it every year, but there is no reason for there not to be a band there every game. Next is the lack of any semblence of a student section. Ideally on the end where the Badgers shoot twice, a group of band and students would be in one (if not both) of the corner sections. They could then stand all game without blocking the view of anyone.

I'm also surprised that the UW doesn't want to schedule games when the Kohl Center is being used. Seems like a wasted opportunity to have a hockey night in Madison with the men and women playing at the same time or maybe staggered by just an hour or so.

I don't agree that the average experience at the Kohl Center is better for a women's game. Yes, the fan amenities are better, but seemed like a morgue most of the time with that many empty seats during an average game.

With the team itself, still waiting for someone to really step up. It's going to tough if Decker has to score 1-2 goals every game to win. They controlled the first period last night getting a 2-0 lead, but was pretty even the rest of the way. Had to withstand a fair amount of pressure in the third, but did a pretty good job not letting UNH get great looks at the goal in the last couple of minutes.

Comment

Guys, I am from the east and yesterday was my first visit to Madison and UW. Your city, the people, and facilities are first rate. As for the new arena, I thought it was/is awesome - great site-lines and lighting and just the right size for the women's game and making it look crowded even when not full. I thought the fans were great as well. The seats leave a little to be desired however if the team falters you will still always be 'on the edge of your seat' the whole game yet they were ok. I couldn't imagine how dead the atmosphere must be in the Kohl with 1600 people there. You guys are being to harsh - it is a great building for the team to call 'home' and I am sure it will build more character over time.

Comment

Well, that's more like it. Going out on a small limb, I assume it was the best they have played all year today. Compared to the the last two Friday games I've been at, the Badgers showed a much more consistent effort and buried the opportunities when they presented themselves. Plus, there were radically less missed passes and no players crashing into each other.

Courtney Burke played like a top recruit and had a nice goal and a couple of assists. Also liked the energy of Sowchuck and Doner. Of course, Decker had another couple of sweet goals and Rigsby was solid in net (plus the team played better defense overall).

Also was my first day game at LaBahn. Liked all the natural light that comes in. I know there has been a lot of discussion on the issues with LaBahn, but I personally feel that the 1,200 felt a lot more intimate and loud there then it would have been at Kohl. Also helps that the team puts up 5 goals.

Hopefully, they can keep the roll going against Mankato next week and rack up some much needed conference points.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Boy View Post
                      You guys are being to harsh - it is a great building for the team to call 'home' and I am sure it will build more character over time.
                      The perspective for UW fans is we are used to the Kohl Center, with comfy theater seating and great electronics. LaBahn should have been built as a mini Kohl Center, it was not. I'd love for Barry Alvarez to sit in those seats and tell us honestly how comfy they are.

As for atmosphere, you can make it anything you want. I've noticed women's fans are way more laid back than men's fans are. When we go, we are loud. We're probably the loudest fans there. Unfortunately, the next game we attend will probably the the Friday St. Cloud series.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                        So, Wisco fans, can you recommend a few places for the UNH crowd to check out on Saturday? We were thinking of getting a meal and watching the football game on a big screen. I know it's Homecoming, and likely to be crazy, but any thoughts?
                        So, where did you end up going and what did you think of LaBahn Arena?

Comment

When I was talking about atmosphere I was actually talking about the feeling of the room itself, not specifically the fan reaction. There's just something about it, and I'm not even sure exactly what it is, that just makes it feel like you are walking into a very cold, lifeless space.

The fan reaction during a game is what it is. I'm perfectly fine with the Womens crowds being more quiet and laid back - I'd take that over the loud and ignorant I see at so many Mens games at the Kohl. I never had a problem with that with Womens games at the Kohl, and I really never felt like it was a "morgue" either, especially not during the late season games where you'd get around 3,000 fans for a game, nicely filling up the center sections of the bowl. You would think a more concentrated fanbase in a smaller rink should all by itself make for a more lively atmosphere. I didn't really notice that over the weekend (The "Phil" cheers seemed especially lifeless), but we'll see how it shakes out as the season plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                            So, where did you end up going and what did you think of LaBahn Arena?
                            I thought La Bahn was nice overall! I really liked the photo montage in the outer concourse. I didn't have an issue with there only being 1 Women's rest room area. It was capable of easily handling the crowd. I liked that the snack area was on the opposite side of the arena. That way the two crowds didn't have to move through each other to reach their desired location. I think the one snack bar was fine for that size crowd. If you open two, you double your snack bar payroll, but probably not your sales.

The wall colors were a little surprising. I wondered if the designer watched a little too much HGTV. Neutral tans and off white are safe choices at home, but if the team's colors are red and white, why not use it? Replace the beige stripe with red and you've got a home rink there.

I thought the crowd was fairly rowdy. There was a steady stream of cheers from the students behind the net. Maybe the acoustics are such that the sound doesn't resonate throughout the building but the sections I sat in were loud considering the population density.

The only thing that brought the atmosphere down is probably attributable to my being a visitor. I mean absolutely no offense, but that UW song that the crowd is encouraged to sing between the second and third is hardly uplifting. It would take the fight out of me, but it's your tradition...

Thanks to all the friendly Wisco fans for making us feel welcome all weekend, and inviting us to join the pre and post game tailgate Sunday, especially since it became evident during the game, when the rumor that our flights out had been cancelled turned into reality, that we had no where to be anyway

We didn't go all fancy this trip (good thing, as the budget doubled with the extended stay), but we did get a chance to walk State Street (not during the Halloween festivities - I begged out!) Pizza at Ian's was interesting. I had never heard of mac 'n cheese pizza, or some of the other creative toppings! I also liked the building (an old, ornate bank), and the casual atmosphere.

The State Street area was impeccably clean the morning after Freakfest, which was a nice surprise, and we spent some pleasant time cruising the shops before the game.

We couldn't get into the Kohl Center, which was a little disappointing - I would have liked to check it out.

All in all a good "weekend" even if the only TV was watching my neck of the woods get hammered by Sandy (I was very fortunate - the only tree I lost was a dead one that I had wanted to cut down for years, but didn't because of it's proximity to power lines. Mother Nature did it with surgical precision, and we evidently never lost power!)

The 0-2 result would have been much more palatable if both games had been like the first one. I left that one thinking we could have won, and that 2 points on Sunday was a real possibility. I left on Sunday wondering who didn't let the Wildcats out
                            Last edited by DC78-82; 11-01-2012, 12:51 PM. Reason: bought a vowel:P
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...103112aab.html

A well-deserved award for Rigsby. The team as a whole restored this fan's confidence as the Badgers resume conference play. Second look at Mankato in about a month. Crucial to get 6 points to stay at least within shouting distance of the Gophers.

Comment

I sent an email to the Athletic Dept about the seating @ Labahn, and they actually responded to me. Pasted way below is my original email and on top is Jason King's response.
                                ************************************************** *****
                                Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your thoughts on LaBahn. We always appreciate hearing from our loyal fans. When taking into consideration tread depth and seat width, we tried to make sure we were at least meeting or exceeding seating standards as that of our other facilities. It was also a factor that we wanted to get our fans as close to the action as possible to really create an intimate atmosphere. Currently, there are 16 inches in LaBahn from the front of one seat to the back of the seat in the row in front of it. At some of our other facilities, Camp Randall for example, the distance is a little over 15 inches and at the Field House it is 14 inches. I would agree there is slightly more room at the Kohl Center but that is also a chair style seat instead of a bench. For budgetary purposes we chose bench seating in LaBahn. As far as the width of seat the most common bench seat width is 18 inches, we went with a 19 inch seat in LaBahn. Although it is not a huge difference, it is slightly larger than most standard benches and is bigger than Camp Randall and the Field House. I only give you this information to give you some background in our thinking. I will make sure to forward your thoughts onward. Again, we do appreciate you taking the time to email us.

Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions or concerns.

JK

Jason King

Associate Athletic Director

University of Wisconsin Athletics

Office-608-262-7974

Cell-608-354-7112

JWK@athletics.wisc.edu

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:45 PM
                                To: Jason W. King
                                Subject: La Bahn

Jason,

I attended the opening of the Labahn arena, and overall I would say there were a few disappointing things with the arena. The main problem was the seating. The seating is WAY too cramped. I'm 5-10 and my knees were practically touching the boards (we were in row 1). More than a couple times my shoulders hit the knees of the person behind me. The butt portion of the seats could be about 3" deeper. The space allocated per person in the row is too small as well. I was here with average sized highschool kids and the person on the end was half off the bench. While I appreciate the new building and all the donations that made it possible, there was little practical thought put into the most important thing for the fans, the seating. It's very disappointing to go from the plush Kohl Center seating to this. This opinion is not alone, there is plenty on chatter about this in online forums. Obviously there is no simple solution, I just wanted to pass my thoughts onto someone within the Athletic Dept, since I cannot email Barry Alvarez directly, though I would appreciate if this could get to him.

Thanks for your time,

Tim Weisensel,

Loyal 30 Year UW Hockey Fan

Comment

Working...
                                X