How long for Rich Umile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for Rich Umile?

I'm clearly showig my age but I remember (what am I talking about, oh, yeah) playing against Rich Umile at good ols Snively Arena. UNH had just gone D1 and the score ended up something like 18-2, with Clarkson moving D-men up to forward in the second period, fowards switching sticks, etc. starting in the second period.
    That's soooooooooo long ago that we arrived at Snively on horse drawn wagon's and we all wore leather helmets!!!

Rich has been a very consistent if not outstanding D1 coach and has several qualified replacements primed to
    replace him when he finally decides to play more golf. He has two obvious guys in house (Scott Boek & Brian McCloskey) and one who made a latteral move a couple years ago (Rich Lassonde, a Rochester, NH native) all
    very capable of slipping into the HCrole.

While I am a friend of Scott Borek's going back to his Brown & Colby HC days, and him coaching my son, Matt, at Lake State, if I HAD to make a choice, I would lean towards Brian McCloskey. Bo struggled as a D1 HC at Lake State, and personally, I prefer him in a recruiting role. He & McCloskey recruited Brown back into respectibility before doing a good job at Colby. I wouldn't be unhappy if Bo was named a D1 coach, either at UNH or elsewhere cuz I think he was set up to fail at Lake State and will do a better job a second time around, just based on doing things different than he did at Lake State.

Dave Lassonde would love to return to UNH as the Head Coach. I like him a lot personally, but just know about his X's & O's capabilities. He's a stellar recruiter, clearly in the class with Borek & McCloskey.

Who would you like to see replace Rich Umile when/if??? Any chance an "outsider" could beat out the Big Three? If so, who?

Re: How long for Rich Umile?

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
    I'm clearly showig my age but I remember (what am I talking about, oh, yeah) playing against Rich Umile at good ols Snively Arena. UNH had just gone D1 and the score ended up something like 18-2, with Clarkson moving D-men up to forward in the second period, fowards switching sticks, etc. starting in the second period.
    That's soooooooooo long ago that we arrived at Snively on horse drawn wagon's and we all wore leather helmets!!!

Rich has been a very consistent if not outstanding D1 coach and has several qualified replacements primed to
    replace him when he finally decides to play more golf. He has two obvious guys in house (Scott Boek & Brian McCloskey) and one who made a latteral move a couple years ago (Rich Lassonde, a Rochester, NH native) all
    very capable of slipping into the HCrole.

While I am a friend of Scott Borek's going back to his Brown & Colby HC days, and him coaching my son, Matt, at Lake State, if I HAD to make a choice, I would lean towards Brian McCloskey. Bo struggled as a D1 HC at Lake State, and personally, I prefer him in a recruiting role. He & McCloskey recruited Brown back into respectibility before doing a good job at Colby. I wouldn't be unhappy if Bo was named a D1 coach, either at UNH or elsewhere cuz I think he was set up to fail at Lake State and will do a better job a second time around, just based on doing things different than he did at Lake State.

Dave Lassonde would love to return to UNH as the Head Coach. I like him a lot personally, but just know about his X's & O's capabilities. He's a stellar recruiter, clearly in the class with Borek & McCloskey.

Who would you like to see replace Rich Umile when/if??? Any chance an "outsider" could beat out the Big Three? If so, who?
    First - It's Dick Umile.
    Second, this is the WOMEN'S forum, so if you want to get into theoretical discussions about one of the most revered coaches at UNH, head to the men's side.
    Third - I don't see Coach Mac leaving the Women's side, at least until he has his National Championship, and then probably to kick back in his granite paradise and take it easy.

I went to HS with Scotty B, and played at UNH when Coach U was an assistant and sold cars at Tri City Dodge on the side. I think the men are in quite capable hands, but that's for another forum.
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

DC78-82; FIRST, to those that have known him for as long as I have, it's Rich!! For you, it's Dick.

Second, my bad for being in the right church but the wrong pew. Forgive a "senior moment" for an 'ol guy who
      may have had a few too many closed head injuries......at least I didn't post it on the Minny site, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
        DC78-82; FIRST, to those that have known him for as long as I have, it's Rich!! For you, it's Dick.
        Not Richie???
        Go 'Wick!

Comment

He hasn't known him THAT long.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Why does this thread still exist here?

Comment

It's the summer.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Jerrynu26......nope, Richie was on Happy Days.

FYI I have asded the moderator of transfer this post to the men's page.....my first mistake of 2012????

Comment

I believe I have seen Coach Mac quoted in the past as saying that the women's job would be his last.
                  113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

freak........do you know how old Brian Mac is? I'm guessing he's older that he looks......that didn't sound right - I think he looks younger than he is.

Comment

Working...
                    X