Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question

…I know I should know the answer…

Can a D2 give scholarship money? I know a D3 cannot…

Re: Dumb question

Not for DIII hockey teams - only for the sports that are all on the DII level.

Comment

Out of sheer curiosity could a girl get D2 money in say lacrosse and also play on that schools D3 hockey team? Or are schools programs all the same level if they play at the D3 level??

Comment

Originally posted by PuckFan92 View Post
        Out of sheer curiosity could a girl get D2 money in say lacrosse and also play on that schools D3 hockey team? Or are schools programs all the same level if they play at the D3 level??
        As I understand it, the general rule is that D3 schools cannot offer athletic scholarships even for athletes whose team plays up to a higher level (D1 or D2).

There are a couple of exceptions to the rule due to a grandfather clause for teams that existed before the Divisions went into effect in 1971. The Wikipedia page for the D3 classification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisio...ion_I_programs) has the full list. There was a move a few years back to eliminate those exceptions, but the motion was amended to basically leave things as-was.

In those grandfathered exception cases, I do not know if an athlete on one of those teams is or is not allowed to play another sport for their school.
        Last edited by CrazyDave; 08-01-2012, 04:03 PM.
        Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
        Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
        Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

There are only a handful of D3 schools that give hockey scholarships. SLU, Colorado College and a few others. If I remember correctly, at mixed D1/D3 schools, an athlete receiving athletic aid can't compete in a D3 sport.

Comment

Yea i was thinking the other way, like a D2 school playing down in hockey to D3 but maybe other sports were still D2 (don't know if this is even possible).. Could a player get D2 money in a D2 sport and still play in D3 hockey, again not knowing if this scenario is even possible.

Comment

I don't think it's possible. The general rule is that mixing of D1 or D2 teams is not permitted at a D3 school because it creates an unfair advantage. SLU, Clarkson and Union are the only D3 schools that are allowed to mix D1 hockey with D3 athletics on the women's side. I understand those schools grandfathered in under old rules with Colorado College and a couple others on the men's side. The four D2 schools that play D3 hockey on the women's side during the regular season cannot compete for the D3 title.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                SLU, Clarkson and Union are the only D3 schools that are allowed to mix D1 hockey with D3 athletics on the women's side.
                You forgot RIT and RPI.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Ahem...
                  Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                  The Wikipedia page for the D3 classification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisio...ion_I_programs) has the full list.
                  13 D-III schools currently play up to the Division I level in one or two sports (one for each gender maximum).

Seven of them are grandfathered schools which have traditionally competed at the highest level of a particular sport prior to the institution of the Division classifications in 1971. These schools are allowed to offer athletic scholarships in their Division I sports to remain competitive with their opponents.

Clarkson University (men's and women's ice hockey)
                  Colorado College (men's ice hockey and women's soccer)
                  Hartwick College (men's soccer and women's water polo)
                  Johns Hopkins University (men's and women's lacrosse)
                  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, (men's and women's ice hockey)
                  Rutgers-Newark (men's volleyball)
                  St. Lawrence University (men's and women's ice hockey)

(SUNY Oneonta was previously grandfathered in men's soccer but moved totally to Division III in 2006.)

The other six schools choose to play up in one sport for men and optionally one sport for women, but they are not grandfathered and thus are not allowed to offer athletic scholarships. Academic-based and need-based financial aid is still available.

Franklin and Marshall College (men's wrestling)
                  Hobart College (men's lacrosse)
                  Lawrence University (fencing)
                  Massachusetts Institute of Technology (men's and women's rowing)
                  Rochester Institute of Technology (men's and women's ice hockey)
                  Union College (men's and women's ice hockey)
                  Last edited by CrazyDave; 08-03-2012, 03:06 PM.
                  Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                  Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                  Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                    In those grandfathered exception cases, I do not know if an athlete on one of those teams is or is not allowed to play another sport for their school.
                    Not if they are getting athletic scholarship money.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

A student/athlete receiving scholarshiponey for one sport counts against the total scholarships for that sport. I think that they also can split a scholarship 50/50 between two D1 sports. They also can play
                      any DIII sport they want at a school with a D1 hockey program but otherwise DIII, like my alma mater - Clarkson. I think all of our golf team was made up of hockey players.

Comment

I''m pretty sure both sports must account for the full amount of scholarship towards their total allowable amount. Doesn't happen with hockey players anymore. Non Scholarship student athletes can play more than one sport. Athlete's on athletic scholarship at schools like Clarkson and SLU can not participate in D-III sports.

Comment

Interesting question regarding splitting athletic scholarships between two sports at one institution. I've been wondering since I heard two head coaches at one school are "battling" over one athlete, gifted at both sports (D-I). That motivated me to inquire about that awhile ago and I was told each coach could offer half a scholarship...if they could agree to allow the prospective student athlete to participate in each sport. That was somewhat speculative by the source however, so...
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

DIIIhockeyfan.......while at Clarkson, hockey players also played baseball, dominated the golf team, and had players on the lacrosse teams. Have the rules changed???

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/2004/01/12/scho...ay-up-schools/

"Detractors immediately called those claims dubious at best. They noted that, for example, Division I athletes at these schools cannot play other sports, and money earned from Division I NCAA tournaments cannot be accepted by these schools. They also urged the Division III membership to consider that these schools all have model programs, with rigorous academic requirements."

Comment

Working...
                              X