D3 transfers and news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 transfers and news

Oswego has lost many, many players lately. not a whole lot left now on what is known about the roster

http://www.therecord.com/sports/arti...hits-roadblock (from the DIII men's Oswego thread)
    Last edited by OneTimer; 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM.

Re: D3 transfers and news

I just want to clarify one thing local newspapers normally throw around incorrectly is the term athletic scholarship is being thrown around.

Oswego nor any other D3 schools give athletic scholarships. What Oswego did cut was their international aid package which affected Howe because she is from Canada.

International aid packages are more than legal so long as Johnny sue non athlete gets the same aid as billy bob athlete on hockey team.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Be that as it may...and I'm not accusing anyone at Oswego of this...however there are absolutely 100% coaches out there who use those international aid packages that are available to all students and go to hockey players that don't know any better and say this is your "hockey package" or this is your "athletic scholarship"

Semantics perhaps, but to players who are hungry to be recognized for their athletics abilities it certainly carries weight to make them believe they are being rewarded for their athletic prowess and not because of where they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
        snip...Semantics perhaps, but to players who are hungry to be recognized for their athletics abilities it certainly carries weight to make them believe they are being rewarded for their athletic prowess and not because of where they come from.
        This is where the player and parents have an obligation to do their own homework and understand this part of the "game."

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeydad4two View Post
          This is where the player and parents have an obligation to do their own homework and understand this part of the "game."
          To an extent, yes that is true. But you're kidding yourself if you think there is not an obligation on the part of the coaching staff to be honest with families and act with integrity. You can't expect Joe Canada or Joe Finland to understand all the inner-workings of the NCAA and all the rules that go with each different level, especially if it's their first time going through the process. They are just going to be happy to have coaches that "want" them, especially when they've been overlooked or passed over by D1 programs. Heck, half the coaches don't even know all the rules because there are so many that are always changing and evolving. But this is not a simple "misunderstanding" it's an honest to goodness attempt to deceive for the benefit of the coach and/or the program.

Comment

I hear Adrian is loosing people left and right too.

Comment

Not from what I've been told.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                To an extent, yes that is true. But you're kidding yourself if you think there is not an obligation on the part of the coaching staff to be honest with families and act with integrity. You can't expect Joe Canada or Joe Finland to understand all the inner-workings of the NCAA and all the rules that go with each different level, especially if it's their first time going through the process. They are just going to be happy to have coaches that "want" them, especially when they've been overlooked or passed over by D1 programs. Heck, half the coaches don't even know all the rules because there are so many that are always changing and evolving. But this is not a simple "misunderstanding" it's an honest to goodness attempt to deceive for the benefit of the coach and/or the program.
                I disagree. If you walk into this big of a committment without researching what will be one of the largest financial transactions of an athlete's life to date, then shame on you. Would you take anyone's word as gospel if you were purchasing a house or car? How about a financial advisor or your next door neighbor? No one deserves to be misled but there is some responsibility to do your own due diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeydad4two View Post
                  I disagree. If you walk into this big of a committment without researching what will be one of the largest financial transactions of an athlete's life to date, then shame on you. Would you take anyone's word as gospel if you were purchasing a house or car? How about a financial advisor or your next door neighbor? No one deserves to be misled but there is some responsibility to do your own due diligence.
                  Like I already said, I agree with you, but there is only so much "research" that can be expected of someone when they don't necessarily know the extent of what they are even supposed to be researching. As far as they are concerned, they are getting money handed to them. It doesn't matter if it's academic, athletic, or what, except to the extent that the player wants to feel "wanted" for what they do on the ice, especially if they were overlooked previously. There is nothing to "research" there.

Your comparisons are not valid. They are apples to oranges. If I want to buy a 200,000 dollar house and someone is going to give me $50,000 so that my house only costs $150,000...then I'm good with that. Maybe it's because everyone in that moves into that neighborhood gets a $50,000 discount, but if they tell me it's because I'm beautiful and smart and the most amazing person ever to grace that neighborhood with my presence then I'm going to feel a hell of a lot more special and I'm not going to ask a lot of questions.

There is one person in this transaction that is an "expert" and that person has an obligation to be as straight forward and honest as possible so that those with limited knowledge can do their best to sort through the honest information from many sources as best they can and make the best decision. Everyone has responsibility to know what they are getting into, but that doesn't give a coach the right to intentionally mislead someone as to what they are getting into, period.

Comment

Is Oswego still eligible for playoffs?

Another interesting point, my cousin is a Canadian soccer player for a D3 school and he gets a "Canadian Scholarship" from his school that is only awarded to athletes.

It seems like they only crack down on hockey for "international scholarships."

Comment

Originally posted by canadahockey26 View Post
                      Is Oswego still eligible for playoffs?

Another interesting point, my cousin is a Canadian soccer player for a D3 school and he gets a "Canadian Scholarship" from his school that is only awarded to athletes.

It seems like they only crack down on hockey for "international scholarships."
                      There is no way that those scholarships only go to athletes. Isn't this what the schools got in trouble for? Giving an unequal amount of the tuition waivers to Canadians?
                      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                        There is no way that those scholarships only go to athletes. Isn't this what the schools got in trouble for? Giving an unequal amount of the tuition waivers to Canadians?
                        I thought that it was because a dis-proportionate number of the "scholarships" went to hockey players (and perhaps all athletes) as compared to the general International student population.
                        ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                          I thought that it was because a dis-proportionate number of the "scholarships" went to hockey players (and perhaps all athletes) as compared to the general International student population.
                          which would be the case here. if the "Canadian scholarship" is only for Canadian athletes....a disproprtionate amount of "scholarships" would be given to athletes. Maybe since he's soccer it doesn't matter
                          UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                          NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                          Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                            This is correct.

The grants/scholarships are allowed and legal as long as a regular student gets the same money as a student-athlete and there are not 37 athletes getting it in comparison to only three non-athletes getting it.

For every athlete that gets it, there has to be a non-athlete getting it as well.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

In regards to my soccer-playing cousin, I'm thinking that maybe they don't regulate it as much in other sports. At his school the only Canadians are athletes. They have a division 1 hockey program for men and women but the rest of the sports are D3.

Comment

Working...
                              X