X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Canadian Women's Hockey League draft list

The 2012 Canadian Women's Hockey League draft list:

http://www.cwhl.ca/index.php?pg=Feat...ntent&post=287
    Click to visit the official team page for Penn State women's hockey: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...ckey-body.html

Re: 2012 Canadian Women's Hockey League draft list

Toronto got significantly better up front, Alberta got significantly better at the back, Montreal still looks like the team to beat and maybe we'll get to see if Sara Bauer still has it.

Comment

Toronto needed goal scorers and they certainly got that! The CWHL should be very competitive this season, although I have to agree with West that Montreal still appears to be the team to beat. Brampton also improved themselves in the draft and they are always a tough out. Should be an exciting season. I really need to start saving money for the Clarkson Cup. IIRC, it is going to be held in Niagara Falls again.

Comment

What happened to Burlington? Did the OW dinosaurs finally get their way and get them out of the league?

Comment

Burlington folded. That alone will make the league that much more competitive, more good players on fewer teams. The draft was loaded this year, a lot of offensive talent moving into the league. Should be very exciting and I am guessing some high scoring games, even with great goaltending.

Comment

This league is confusing to me. It looks like anyone could've signed up to be "drafted" and after the first "round" of what appeared to be a "real" draft process, everyone else listed was put on a team. There are obviously GREAT players on the draft list but then there are a few that didn't even play in college. Can someone in the know explain this league to a novice hockey dad?!?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydad3 View Post
              This league is confusing to me. It looks like anyone could've signed up to be "drafted" and after the first "round" of what appeared to be a "real" draft process, everyone else listed was put on a team. There are obviously GREAT players on the draft list but then there are a few that didn't even play in college. Can someone in the know explain this league to a novice hockey dad?!?
              Unfortunately, you as a "Novice Hockey Dad" have comparable credentials to those that are running this league. It has been a poorly executed brainchild of SJS that, similar to the operators of the OWHA, makes rules up as they go along. It is a friends playing with friends league and the draft has limited meaning. Players become the "property" of teams but can essentially dictate where they want to play.

Without substantial financial backing, this league will never become legit.
              ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

In addition, this "draft" is nothing more than a fundraiser for the league. Once you pay your fee, you can pretty much dictate where you want to play.

This whole league in its current format is doomed. This Alberta team and its set up is the one that make me laugh the hardest. The team is divided between Edmonton and Calgary. The Edmontton girls practice during the week in Edmonton while the Calgary girls practice by themselves in Calgary. On the weekend, they get together and play. The travel is brutal and the girls are responsible for their food and accommodation on all road trips...which are numerous...ie. all road games are a five hour plane ride away. Tell me, what girls with responsible jobs can afford a. the time and/or b. the $$$ to compete this way?

Wow indeed!

Comment

These replies are a tremendous help. The pay to tryout aspect of the "system" explains why everyone who registered for the draft was assigned to a team. I assume/hope they make cuts so at least if anyone goes to watch one of these games, they'd see some good hockey. Might I assume that accurately or do they keep everyone and anyone who agrees to pay to play and pay/travel?

I was hopeful that this might be the start of a true "professional" women's hockey league, but it sounds like those of you in the know, know otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydad3 View Post
                    There are a number of players that competed in Canada after they graduated high school, instead of attending college in the US. All players that entered the draft, we're chosen. In the beginning of September, all returning players and draftees will report for a tryout camp. After the camp, the rosters will be set for the year. There are many National team members that will be playing in the league this year, should be an exciting season.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                      In addition, this "draft" is nothing more than a fundraiser for the league. Once you pay your fee, you can pretty much dictate where you want to play.

This whole league in its current format is doomed. This Alberta team and its set up is the one that make me laugh the hardest. The team is divided between Edmonton and Calgary. The Edmontton girls practice during the week in Edmonton while the Calgary girls practice by themselves in Calgary. On the weekend, they get together and play. The travel is brutal and the girls are responsible for their food and accommodation on all road trips...which are numerous...ie. all road games are a five hour plane ride away. Tell me, what girls with responsible jobs can afford a. the time and/or b. the $$$ to compete this way?

Wow indeed!
                      Payers that travel and compete with the team are NOT responsible for food nd accommodations on the road. With the quality of players in the league ths year, I see it starting to take off. Look how brutal the WNBA was when it began, the Minnesota Lynx drew about 1500 fans and you couldn't give away tickets now because they have a quality team, they draw 10-11000 a game. Give this league a chance, if they get good quality and attendance rises, costs will go down for players.

In regards to the dictating where you play comment, if I live in Alberta, and I am nt getting paid to play, it old be easier for me to stay and play at home, then be drafted by Boston or Montreal and have to move across the country. The league has tried to make it easier so the players that want to try to play can.
                      You need to give them credit for creating this opportunity or these ladies to continue to compete, otherwise they would not be playing at all. You ask any of them playing and they are loving it!
                      Last edited by imafan; 07-27-2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Just wondering....does anyone think there would ever be a chance that there might ever be a team from the USA in the Canadian Women's Hockey League? I would love to see Erie have a team.
                        "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Boston has a team in the CWHL does that count??
                          The WCHA Dynasty
                          Wisconsin
                          National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                          MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                          National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                          MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                          National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                          MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
                            Boston has a team in the CWHL does that count??
                            Oh yea....oops. Disregard MIC's last comment.
                            "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by imafan View Post
                              Payers that travel and compete with the team are NOT responsible for food nd accommodations on the road.
                              Hmm...interesting...then I guess the Alberta player I was talking to about this lied to me. This league is not cheap to play in...and the fact that the OWHA "braintrust" is involved in its operation can only spell doom. The sooner it becomes an independent league, with independent organizers, the better its chances of survival. Until that happens, this league will only be a marginal venue for those Olympians and friends of Olympians wanting icetime in the GTA.

Comment

Working...
                              X