Lfc 2012-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lfc 2012-13

New LFC thread thanks to Mr Dangles (instead of posting in the recruit thread). But Lake Forest is in dire need of a successful season. Being the only NCAA team in Illinois/Chicagoland this school needs to progress. With the new teams in place in the MCHA it is going to be heck of a schedule.

Re: Lfc 2012-13

New teams don't start play in the MCHA untill '13-'14.

Lake Forest actually has a pretty rich hockey history that many schools would love to have. While they have been down for the last five or six seasons (I think they made the NCHA Peter's Cup semis in '05-'06), they are still one of only three current MCHA teams to have made an appearance in the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Re: Lake. I have heard many fans and people connected to the program complain about the lack of support the school shows the program in the post-Fritz era. What specifically is the school doing (or not doing), that it did in the past when the hockey program enjoyed greater success? Is this an issue of admissions and financial aid? facilities? budget? coaching and support staff? What is different at Lake today compared to six or seven years ago?

Comment

Finally the program is getting updated faciltiies but the support for the hockey team is stuck in 1990's. The small school sees fit to support other sports that are in success mode. The issue going forward is building a team, McKelvie needs players and support from alumni to bring the program up to par especially with the addition of teams to the division making it the top division in the nation. Things are moving at a slow pace forward, hopfully tradition will be restored.
        Opie

Comment

i would have hoped that LFC would have brought in more recruits than the site listed. They should have done a smaller version of what CUW did. It would be nice to see LFC build a new rink something like Bowdoin did a few years back. They need to be more competitive. The new renovations to the rink make it better, but do not make them competitive with top schools.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyrocks55 View Post
            i would have hoped that LFC would have brought in more recruits than the site listed. They should have done a smaller version of what CUW did. It would be nice to see LFC build a new rink something like Bowdoin did a few years back. They need to be more competitive. The new renovations to the rink make it better, but do not make them competitive with top schools.
            The hockey program is making small steps and know they are not competitive but taking ques from AD and other school coaches at the moment. To move things along the alumni, current players and their parents need to push for more up to date program. Many of the current players come from Junior and High School programs that have more commitment and resources. The rink updates, strength and conditioning coach, new training staff are a start but they can do other things like better lighting for better broad casts of games for recruiting. Marketing the team better in the local area to get kids involved and fill the arean (of course winning is the best medicine). Developing a top notch pitch to recruit with showcasing the fantastic school and a hockey program on the move would be nice. My sense is the kids on the team don't feel like the program is serious about contending... I could be wrong.

Any suggestions or support from readers of this blog are appreciated.
            Opie

Comment

Originally posted by D3Dad View Post
              The hockey program is making small steps and know they are not competitive but taking ques from AD and other school coaches at the moment. To move things along the alumni, current players and their parents need to push for more up to date program. Many of the current players come from Junior and High School programs that have more commitment and resources. The rink updates, strength and conditioning coach, new training staff are a start but they can do other things like better lighting for better broad casts of games for recruiting. Marketing the team better in the local area to get kids involved and fill the arean (of course winning is the best medicine). Developing a top notch pitch to recruit with showcasing the fantastic school and a hockey program on the move would be nice. My sense is the kids on the team don't feel like the program is serious about contending... I could be wrong.

I completely agree. Improvements have been made but like you said the lighting AND netting along the stands needs to be improved and make it more viewer friendly. (They need that see-through netting that the NHL uses) I have experienced this program since the Fritz era where things were stagnant (not bad nor good), but this team is the only NCAA team in the Chicagoland and needs to be successful!! Theres no reason they cannot take the steps to get to the next level and compete with the Adrain's and SNC's.

Comment

Dad...

You seem like your son or someone close to you is a apart of the program.

If LFC was serious about hockey.... would they have a player who just graduated, who was very, very marginal listed as a new assistant on their website?

Also its not only about the hockey, the school at one time was on of the top 60 on the forbes list, now somewhere in the mid 100's? Red Flag?

Anyhow, as for your concern....if your son or close family member is a player there, they will get a decent education, but hockey is relative.

Comment

Marketing the team better in the local area to get kids involved and fill the arean (of course winning is the best medicine). Developing a top notch pitch to recruit with showcasing the fantastic school and a hockey program on the move would be nice. My sense is the kids on the team don't feel like the program is serious about contending... I could be wrong.

Well its going to take sometime for LFC to win the interest of local kids that are currently playing youth hockey. The local kids have questions as to why some of the local current D3 players took a pass on LFC? Educate, one of the top D3 scorers last season, is from the town of Lake Forest. He went to Nichols and now is at Utica. Why didn't he go to LFC? Then you have another local Dman, Malliaras. Why is he at UWRF and not LFC? Why did LFC's 2011 leading scorer, a local (Bushbacher), leave to go to LU ? You also have another local that attended Lake Forest Academy and went to LU last year. There are many other locals playing D3 that LFC didn't even give the time of day.

Ask a local kid why every 'C' or 'A' on the sweater for the last few years was worn by a Canadian, with the exception of one Badger about 3 yrs. ago. There's not much love for LFC hockey in the local community. Actually, LFC hockey has done little to nothing to connect with players in the local area with the exception of Lake Forest HS whom they let use the LFC ice facility.
                  2011-2012 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM CHAMPION
                  2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM 2ND PLACE
                  THE NCHA -ADRIAN-AURORA-CONCORDIA (WI)-FINLANDIA-LAKE FOREST-LAWRENCE-MARIAN-MSOE-NORTHLAND-ST. NORBERT-ST. SCHOLASTICA

Comment

I feel that LFC also does nothing in the community to promote more fans to attend their games. They average around 200 or so people a game, which is not very impressive. I will not lie, if you do not know hockey, there games are very boring, and offer no fan attractions or anything. At the very least they could do a light show. Also, if they could do one more thing to improve the arena, it would be to take down that pathetic ACHA Championship banner they hung form the 70's. That needs to go. Also, they need to add some red and black paint around the arena because the all white rink walls to not look very good. Recruiting wise, I though McKelvie would be more impressive than just a few guys. They could easily recruit more from the area, as there is the Chicago Steel (USHL), and Lake Forest Academy (MPHL) right down the street which sends many players on to college and has a pretty good prep team. There are also many decent High School's in the area where LFC could develop relationships with and take players from who want to play college hockey and just need a shot. Also, there are many AAA programs in Illinois, LFC should be looking at. Personally, the only thing I dont like about adding a former player from last year to the coaching staff is that it has poor boundaries. This is a person who used to party and hang out with the guys, but is now there boss he demands respect. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I feel LFC does hav a good staff though, with the head and 1st asst coach with D1 experience and the 2 asst.'s with d3 playing experience. LFC better get it together because MCHA teams are really on the rise. I would be suprised if LFC beats CUW this year. CUW will become much better this year in a matter of nights from the new recruits they have. That means LFC is again starting outa t the bottom. Finalndia has made significant improvements this offseason along with CUW. LFC and Northland are now similar, but LFC lost to Northland in '11-'12. If LFC turns it on, they can beat Marian, LU, and CUW and FU, but they will have to play very well with no rookie mistakes. Those are my thoughts.....Tryouts will be interesting.

Current LFC recruits:
                    G Austin Severson
                    Kenai River Brown Bears (NAHL)
                    5'9", 180
                    Seattle, Wash.
                    48gp, (24-18-6, 2.98, .900)

F Ian Pichel
                    Kanata Stallions (CCHL)
                    5'10", 171
                    Rochester Hills, Mich.
                    56gp, (8-18-26), 72pim

D Keil Zornow
                    Kenai River Brown Bears (NAHL)
                    6'3", 205
                    Bountiful, Utah
                    23gp, (3-0-3), 31pim

D Robert Wiener
                    Traverse City North Stars (NAHL)
                    5'11'', 185
                    Williamston, MI
                    59gp (2-11-13)
                    Last edited by hockeyrocks55; 08-17-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MR. DANGLES View Post
                      Dad...

You seem like your son or someone close to you is a apart of the program.

If LFC was serious about hockey.... would they have a player who just graduated, who was very, very marginal listed as a new assistant on their website?

Also its not only about the hockey, the school at one time was on of the top 60 on the forbes list, now somewhere in the mid 100's? Red Flag?

Anyhow, as for your concern....if your son or close family member is a player there, they will get a decent education, but hockey is relative.
                      Where to begin hmmm I believe the school is making strides to enhance the educational opportunities and is growing again.

As for the hockey team, nowhere to go but up.

Yes there is a former player on staff to address strength and conditioning, is it the best choice, probably not. Lets just say that the issue of strength and conditioning needed to be officially part of the program instead of player lead. The program is essentially starting from ground 0 so the moves thus far are viewed as duh!, yes thats needed. Most potential players looking at the program come from organizations that are much better organized and funded, causing 2nd thoughts about LFC? An active parents and alumni can help, competing against national contenders raises the bar ..... a lot!

The local relationships need to be rebuilt and can start with honest and open discussions about the past and future of the program....that needs to happen. Seems like there is some interest in a once proud program, so if you can help join in.
                      Opie

Comment

Where to begin hmmm 1) I believe the school is making strides to enhance the educational opportunities and is growing again.

2)As for the hockey team, nowhere to go but up.

3)Yes there is a former player on staff to address strength and conditioning, is it the best choice, probably not. Lets just say that the issue of strength and conditioning needed to be officially part of the program instead of player lead.4) The program is essentially starting from ground 0 so the moves thus far are viewed as duh!, yes thats needed. Most potential players looking at the program come from organizations that are much better organized and funded, causing 2nd thoughts about LFC?5) An active parents and alumni can help, competing against national contenders raises the bar ..... a lot!

The local relationships need to be rebuilt and can start with honest and open discussions about the past and future of the program....that needs to happen. Seems like there is some interest in a once proud program, so if you can help join in.
                        Point-by-point;
                        1) YES, the school has increased its enrollment numbers, but the fact is their Forbes academic ranking has gone down significantly over the past 5 years.
                        2) YES, that's the only direction this team can go, but unfortunately they'll still be hard pressed to finish even 7th.
                        3) YES, I concur. However, he has unofficially been the teams leader in that area for the past few years and the Foresters have been plagued with injuries during that time.
                        4) YES, I concur.
                        5) OOOPS! Run that one by your AD. A few years ago she had 2 former players express an interest in assisting with the Forester hockey program. She either took a pass on their offer for whatever reason, or things fell through. One runs a very well respected skating and skills clinic that is frequented by some of the top AA and AAA youth hockey players in the Northern Illinois and Southeastern Wisconsin area. He is the current skating and skills instructor for the Chicago Blackhawks (NHL). The other former player has a great track record in the same field, has coached at some of the premier local AAA and AA programs, has a reputation as a strong talent evaluator, and would be an asset in recruiting local players and building the LFC image in the local area. Both of these alums are highly competent hockey instructors, and they work during the summer with several of the local DI and DIII hockey players .

Meanwhile, I understand that your LFC AD runs a super summer basketball camp for local kids...
                        2011-2012 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM CHAMPION
                        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM 2ND PLACE
                        THE NCHA -ADRIAN-AURORA-CONCORDIA (WI)-FINLANDIA-LAKE FOREST-LAWRENCE-MARIAN-MSOE-NORTHLAND-ST. NORBERT-ST. SCHOLASTICA

Comment

Originally posted by MW49 View Post
                          Point-by-point;
                          1) YES, the school has increased its enrollment numbers, but the fact is their Forbes academic ranking has gone down significantly over the past 5 years.
                          2) YES, that's the only direction this team can go, but unfortunately they'll still be hard pressed to finish even 7th.
                          3) YES, I concur. However, he has unofficially been the teams leader in that area for the past few years and the Foresters have been plagued with injuries during that time.
                          4) YES, I concur.
                          5) OOOPS! Run that one by your AD. A few years ago she had 2 former players express an interest in assisting with the Forester hockey program. She either took a pass on their offer for whatever reason, or things fell through. One runs a very well respected skating and skills clinic that is frequented by some of the top AA and AAA youth hockey players in the Northern Illinois and Southeastern Wisconsin area. He is the current skating and skills instructor for the Chicago Blackhawks (NHL). The other former player has a great track record in the same field, has coached at some of the premier local AAA and AA programs, has a reputation as a strong talent evaluator, and would be an asset in recruiting local players and building the LFC image in the local area. Both of these alums are highly competent hockey instructors, and they work during the summer with several of the local DI and DIII hockey players .

Meanwhile, I understand that your LFC AD runs a super summer basketball camp for local kids...
                          You appear to have a pretty clear picture of the situation.

The strength and conditioning coach selection is not even close to the best situation from the workouts I've seen, they would be better served with a more up to date and knowledgable solution (bulk is not the answer).

Upon taking a look at the program last year I was shocked at how bare and dire the situation. To this point, the AD has not acted as one have expected, not sure why but something in Denmark is not right. I have no idea of how and why things are like the are, I just know it needs change.

I'd ask that those reading this blog please help re-establish contact with Alums and local organizations it is critical that these resources are used to build the program back to a respectable level! It is just unbelievable that a program with a rich history finds itself not listening to players, parents and former players. I'm doing what I can but I believe the situation requires louder PUBLIC voices from outside the program to demand better. My experience is that if the program will ask & accept assistance they have no idea how the proud hockey community will respond.
                          Opie

Comment

Unfortunately the apathy that concerns you regarding LFC hockey extends to these very blogs that you hope will stir renewed interest with alum.
                            A suggestion would be to get the Coaching staff to engage the new/existing parents/fans in a fanclub. If a small but committed nucleus gathers.....and receives support from those running the program...it should add value to the experience and gain momentum over time.

Comment

D3 dad, I like your thinking. I also totally agree on the idea of a fan club. Personally, I feel that there is not much to be hidden and if the program wants to improve, they must be honest about how bad it is and make small and large changes. From attending games, I can tell you that there are many things that could make the program better. First off, the games from a students standpoint are probably very lousy. They do not engage the fans and with the way the Foresters play, people often lose interest as the puck is either in their zone or in the neutral zone. That provides for little action or excitement. Obviously, you cannot always change that over night. Also, they need more fans to attend the games and to fill out the facility. They have a new set of bleachers and need to fill them.

I feel the reason they don't get the best players is because the rink is a dump and in result they lose because of not being able to attract quality players. Would a player rather go to Lake Forest or Adrian? Well, LF is a much better and prettier school, but Adrian is a way better hockey program because they win because of top facilities and school support. Those are things LF lacks. Also, I have seen their players, and it is obvious most of them do not work out hard which has to change. The program does not appear to be run professionally.

I feel the 2 main problems are the rink and the overall school support. With improvements there, your recruiting options change and then the wins start coming. The rink needs to be fixed up more also. It looks nothing like a NESCAC rink or Adrian's or St. Norberts facilities. Those are places LF should be competing with.

Also, I will say I happened to be at there try-out for a brief time last year while passing by. I felt a top end H.S. team could have beaten them. That needs to change, and better players need to be recruited. I dont think it is right for any kid to be able to try out for the team. On a side note, having a CCM sponsorship helps a lot along with a new locker room. An AD that is a huge hockey fan would also be an added bonus. Its tough because the team needs to start winning to get support, but in turn they need support to start winning. Also, they need to be entering a tournament every year. There is an MCHA tournament every year near the holidays, and there is also a UW Superior tournament that Finlandia is in this year. That will help with the respect of the program. If they had a better rink, they could host a tournament. They used to do that way back when. Aside from that, hiring a former player from last year as an assistant coach and strength coach is probably not the best idea. I know a lot about working out, and hockey players do not want to really bulk up and look like football players. If that is what they are doing in the off-season, this season will be another last place finish. I wonder why they did that since the school just hired a full-time strength coach?

Comment

Working...
                              X