Women's Team, Challenge for a Spot!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Team, Challenge for a Spot!!!

Because of all the politics associated with USA Hockey and the selection process for both Select & National Teams, I think there should be a process to challenge for a spot! Now, I don't have it all figured out but it would seem to me "Just like in both High School & College" I was able to challenge for a seat in Jazz or the Orchestra! The process would probably be more like having a requirement of having a form signed off by three (3) college coaches "from different Colleges or Universities" who believe that you have the right stuff and next, once or twice a year "much like the Olympic team walk on tryouts" a meeting would be setup and a panel of judges would watch the challenger and challenged compete for the spot.

Right now there is a strange dormant Active Player Pool list on the USA Hockey Website with names of potential players that was supposed to be updated? By whom? What is the criteria? I believe that the man/women behind the curtain needs to explain and be subject to rebuttal.

There are players who train from a very early age for the opportunity and have very successful careers but never get a sniff and never learn why? I have been to 5 years of player development camps and know a lot of coaches and the common thread seems to be that there are really about 15 to 20 girls each year that are really being looked at and the rest :for lack of a better term" are fodder to make up team to see how these others interact and perform. This seems to start in the Player development program and continue from there. The best players have been selected "as alternates" in the past having never had to show up for player development tryouts? while other players know prior to selection that they will be on a certain team prior to the tryout or announcement of the individuals selected to tryout?

Anyway I feel that there needs to be term limits or challenges otherwise the players coming up through the process really have nothing to aspire.

I would like this tread to cause thought and the aforementioned is only my thoughts, observations and hopes!

Re: Women's Team, Challenge for a Spot!!!

No.

Comment

No what? and what is your reasoning? also, why is it "do you think" that they have the Olympic team walk-on/tryout the year either before or of the Olympics?

I hope to hear from you!

Comment

Sorry your girl did not get picked.

If a player is not on the 18U or 22U National Teams (or real close) then you most likely are not on the radar to have a shot at the USA National Team. What you describe would be a waste of time & and a waste of money.

I do not know, but when was the last time someone made the USA National team through the “open try” outs? The entire point of the Payer Development Program is to find and develop player for the USA National Team. Not to train & get girls ready to play at a “higher level.” Life is not fare. Neither is USA Hockey.

Comment

If hockey was like swimming, where one could line people up and compare them in a totally objective manner, such as in a race or against the clock, then maybe we could arrive at teams where everyone agreed. In the case of swimming, the clock doesn't lie, and the swimmer who finishes third by a hundredth of a second or two may not like it, but they can understand why they are left off of the Olympic team.

There are no such unbiased measures for hockey players. On a typical national team, there are probably 12-15 players that would be selected by just about any reasonable process. The rest of those spots will be awarded based on what the decision makers are seeking -- size, speed, hands or something a bit more biased such as a member of a certain college team's roster. The process will be imperfect by nature. The more people involved in the decision making the less likely it is to be biased, but that doesn't mean that the resulting team will improve. As in "Miracle", the best players don't always produce the best team.

So some people will be overlooked and never get a chance they deserve. About all they can do is strive to improve to the point that they are one of those 12-15 best players that are impossible to leave off of the roster. It isn't completely fair, but the problem is inherent in picking a team in any team sport, because individuals may compare players and never reach a consensus on whom is best.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by NoGo View Post
            Sorry your girl did not get picked.

If a player is not on the 18U or 22U National Teams (or real close) then you most likely are not on the radar to have a shot at the USA National Team. What you describe would be a waste of time & and a waste of money.

I do not know, but when was the last time someone made the USA National team through the “open try” outs? The entire point of the Payer Development Program is to find and develop player for the USA National Team. Not to train & get girls ready to play at a “higher level.” Life is not fare. Neither is USA Hockey.
            Thanx but that's not the case! I have done it all. I just don't have answers for those really good players other than to tell them to keep working and they will find you!

Comment

Yes, but this doesn't answer the question of accountability or what they need to do? I have already participated at the highest levels in USA hockey! Having said that, I don't have the answer other than to say, Keep working hard and they will find you!

I don't believe this to be the case and I still wonder way I made it when I felt that so many were as good!

And yes! I know that talent is only one of many factors.

Thanx!

Comment

Originally posted by YabaDabaDoo View Post
                Yes, but this doesn't answer the question of accountability or what they need to do? I have already participated at the highest levels in USA hockey! Having said that, I don't have the answer other than to say, Keep working hard and they will find you!

I don't believe this to be the case and I still wonder way I made it when I felt that so many were as good!

And yes! I know that talent is only one of many factors.

Thanx!
                There is just nothing about this idea that is any good. Comparing a team sport like hockey to playing a musical instrument is just laughable at best.

As for accountability, I'm just going to trust that the people that do this for a living are doing a better job at it than those of us on USCHO. It's ridiculous to think that the US is trying NOT to put their best team on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                  ....Snip....
                  As for accountability, I'm just going to trust that the people that do this for a living are doing a better job at it than those of us on USCHO. It's ridiculous to think that the US is trying NOT to put their best team on the ice.
                  Best answer yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeydad4two View Post
                    Best answer yet!
                    Perhaps, however there seem to be some funny selections.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                      Perhaps, however there seem to be some funny selections.
                      Which do you find more puzzling, that certain players are selected, or that others are not?
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

You missed the boat completely, and as for the "trust the people who do this for a living"??? What a weird statement! Think about the ramifications of that thought!!! I could point out at least 20 women who were selected to either USA select or national teams and or camps in the past 6 years that were out of their league while far better players were over looked. Having said that, that is not what this was supposed to be about! This was supposed to be about legit actionable critiquing so that when the player/candidates went back after Player Development of any of the selection camps they would have a clear idea of what areas they needed to work! Case in point, A number of years ago I was at player development camp and at the conclusion I had the opportunity to sit own with a couple of high level coaches and was informed that I was being considered for national team play and congratulations. nothing in writing but I understood that a file was being kept of my progress. I went on to play on national teams and was selected to to national level camps. I heard from numerous players about their exit evals and most if not all were thin? I proceeded to watch the who's who of the selection process and my observations were confirmed. There are a few who are being looked at the majority are there to support their evals!
                        That is why I would like to see the curtain pulled back and for the up and comers to have real evals if they are truly the best so that they can get better. If you were or are able to go back 6 to 8 years take a look at who the relatives were, who taught who and who's organization flourished as a result. It has only been a few years that USA Hockey has looked outside of women's hockey for talented young ladies! Anyway, That's my two bits! I for one have been extremely blessed and have made so many great friends, not to mention received a great education! I was just thinking back after a camp I worked when a young lady approached me and ask how I got there!

Comment

Your observations are not scientific data. The fact you feel a certain way does not make it so.

I'll ask you again. Why would the USA...a country that is known for excellence in athletics and cares about little beyond winning and being the best on a world stage whether it's sports, industry, or anything else... be intentionally and knowingly TRYING to not put their best team on the ice?

Until you can provide a solid reason for that there is no reason to entertain your wild conspiracies based solely on your opinions and no real hard data or evidence.

Comment

[QUOTE=WIrinkrat;5467688]Your observations are not scientific data. The fact you feel a certain way does not make it so.
                            I'll ask you again. Why would the USA...a country that is known for excellence in athletics and cares about little beyond winning and being the best on a world stage whether it's sports, industry, or anything else... be intentionally and knowingly TRYING to not put their best team on the ice?

I would have thought that you would have known? Women's hockey is going the way of women's softball!!! Period!! Between Canada and Us we knock the snot out of everyone! Why do you think Angelia R. A lot of our top coaches and a compliment of our young talent have been sent around the world to train these teams up? There is a reason! Like myself MOST of us don't enjoy trashing teams!
                            Last edited by YabaDabaDoo; 07-04-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YabaDabaDoo View Post
                              I would have thought that you would have known? Women's hockey is going the way of women's softball!!! Period!! Between Canada and Us we knock the snot out of everyone! Why do you think Angelia R. A lot of our top coaches and a compliment of our young talent have been sent around the world to train these teams up? There is a reason! Like myself MOST of us don't enjoy trashing teams!
                              So either your premise is that we are so much better than everyone but Canada that we can afford to put less than our best out there and serve the purpose of winning AND keeping some un-named person happy by somehow serving their political needs by only selecting certain less talented players...

or....

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X