Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2012 Offseason

Safe to assume Oksanen will where #2? Given the Finn history:

Kentala: #22
    Ahola: #2
    Linna: #2
    Degermann: #21
    Vuori: #22

Of course, Koskimaki wore #9, but he played at the same time as Ahola, so he couldn't take #2.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

There's only one #2 in my heart: Gryba. The # should be retired.
      Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        Safe to assume Oksanen will where #2? Given the Finn history:

Kentala: #22
        Ahola: #2
        Linna: #2
        Degermann: #21
        Vuori: #22

Of course, Koskimaki wore #9, but he played at the same time as Ahola, so he couldn't take #2.
        I would have flunked that test. I think of Koskimaki as a couple of years after Ahola (part of the 1-2-3 trio, where three game changers were bracketed together).

Ahola and Linna were standouts. Degermann was tough as nails (and could score). Koskimaki always had two hands on the stick. And I mean always, which made him an odd skater. Am I right in remembering that Vuori arrived midseason and scored two goals in his first game -- or was that someone else? In any event, the Finnish connection has been a good one. Here's hoping that Oksanen continues the tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
          I agree. Put it up in the rafters with an all-time penalty minute leader banner
          GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
            Am I right in remembering that Vuori arrived midseason and scored two goals in his first game -- or was that someone else? In any event, the Finnish connection has been a good one. Here's hoping that Oksanen continues the tradition.
            That was Degerman in BU's 9-4 win against UNH, 1/3/98. Of course, his best remembered goal was the GWG in the NCAA semi vs. Michigan later that year.

Both of the previous Finnish d-men, Ahola and Linna, became 2nd team All-Americans and played in the Final Four.

CORRECTION: 1/3/97. Michigan game was in '97, too.
            Last edited by Rogie21; 08-23-2012, 03:04 PM.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
              If #2 is ever retired, it'll be for Bobby Brown. Two seasons. Two NCAA championships ('71,'72). 110 points. All-American both years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                If you need to see "looking dumb"
                Just hang around the mirror more
                I don't play hockey and I'm not 12 years old...not sure why you'd be looking over my shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                  That was Degerman in BU's 9-4 win against UNH, 1/3/98. Of course, his best remembered goal was the GWG in the NCAA semi vs. Michigan later that year.
                  Didn't Michigan win the title in 1998 and beat UNH in the semis that year before beating BC (**** Turco) in the finals?
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Didn't Michigan win the title in 1998 and beat UNH in the semis that year before beating BC (**** Turco) in the finals?
                    Yes, Degerman arrived in January 1997 and the semi vs. Michigan was that year.
                    Correcting below.

Comment

Both of the previous Finnish d-men, Ahola and Linna, became 2nd team All-Americans and played in the Final Four.

CORRECTION: 1/3/97. Michigan game was in '97, too.
                      Degerman also had two assists in that UNH game. It was quite a debut, one of 4 wins against the frustrated Wildcats, who thought they had a really good team. Chris Heron did the honors in the HE title game snapping a shot over Sean Matile with 3 mnutes to go.

Comment

If #2 is ever retired, it'll be for Bobby Brown. Two seasons. Two NCAA championships ('71,'72). 110 points. All-American both years.
                        And just so the newer folks understand why those are ridiculous numbers, he was a defenseman.

Comment

And just so the newer folks understand why those are ridiculous numbers, he was a defenseman.
                          I never cared for him and always blamed him for Whitney Houston's death.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

and President of the University no less!

Comment

Degerman also had two assists in that UNH game. It was quite a debut, one of 4 wins against the frustrated Wildcats, who thought they had a really good team. Chris Heron did the honors in the HE title game snapping a shot over Sean Matile with 3 mnutes to go.
                              After Albie O'Connell picked off the UNH d-man (interference) at the blueline giving Heron some room to manuever.
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                I never cared for him and always blamed him for Whitney Houston's death.
                                *****http://board.uscho.com/images/icons/icon14.png******

Comment

Working...
                                X