X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maturi hoped Penn State would join CCHA

Thought this was interesting...

Maturi hoped Penn State would join CCHA

Penn State was the first domino to fall, starting the college hockey shakeup that will take place a year from now when it announced in fall of 2010 that it would be adding the sport to its varsity roll.

On Tuesday, outgoing University of Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi said he had hoped that Penn State would have joined the Central Collegiate Hockey Association, rather than have the Big Ten start a college hockey conference.

"I'm disappointed (the WCHA) broke up," he said, speaking to members of the Minnesota Associated Press Sports Association during its annual meeting in Minneapolis. "I would have liked to see it stay. My initial hope was Penn State would go to the CCHA. ... I think things would have been fine."

But with six teams carrying the sport, the Big Ten formed its hockey league, setting a course for 2013-14. That, of course, led to the creation of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference, the demise of the CCHA and a leftover group of nine teams from the CCHA and the WCHA that will make up the latter.

But during a discussion that often touched on Minnesota's own revenues and finances, Maturi said he is worried about what the coming shakeup will mean.

"I am concerned about the future of what will now become the WCHA and therefore the future of hockey," he said. "We only have 60 members. It's not like we can afford to lose a lot of members."

Maturi said Minnesota has vowed to continue to play all of it state rivals, including Minnesota State. That includes going on the road to Mankato, Bemidji, St. Cloud and Duluth from time to time. There will also be an annual "Beanpot"-type tournament at the Xcel Energy Center that will feature the Gophers and three of the other four Minnesota teams. The team out of the rotation would meet the Gophers twice that season, Maturi said.

Maturi, 67, who has worked at other schools with Division I hockey, including Wisconsin, Miami and Denver, said he understood why WCHA representatives approved the so-called "Alaska Plan" that will pit Anchorage and Fairbanks against each other during the first round of the WCHA tournament. While he said he does not have intiment knowledge of the new WCHA's plans, he assumes that travel costs will be going up and revenues likely will be going down, which will be a challenge.

"I think it's what the conference had to do," he said. "You've got to be realistic also."

Maturi said the cost of having two teams flying to or from Alaska on five days notice is crippling.

"That's going to be as expensive as every dollar they take in on their tournament," he said. "It's crazy. It's just the reality of it. So what they did to me made some sense from a fiscal responsibility standpoint."

LINK
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Re: Maturi hoped Penn State would join CCHA

Barry Alvarez doesn't care.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It's not a lot of fun hoping for things that aren't ever going to happen.

Then again, this is a guy whose job it is to convince the general public to take any sort of interest in the gopher football program. Maybe he's a sucker for a lost cause?
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        It's not a lot of fun hoping for things that aren't ever going to happen.

Then again, this is a guy whose job it is to convince the general public to take any sort of interest in the gopher football program. Maybe he's a sucker for a lost cause?
        He has some valid points IMO.

And the Gophers have a football program? Who knew
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

No doubt. There's a lot of uncertainty in the nWCHA that I'm uncomfortable with.

Minny's doing the right thing for non-conference games though.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Ok, Minnesota is officially off the hook. Now the rest of the country, not so much.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Barry Alvarez doesn't care.
              Barry cares deeply, and he wants this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxTrax

added to every Big Ten game to help out all the new fans.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

No doubt. There's a lot of uncertainty in the nWCHA that I'm uncomfortable with.

Minny's doing the right thing for non-conference games though.
                now what will Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State do...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  More than likely, UW will be facing old foes, but probably not at their rinks. Tim A posted what we have so far for upcoming non-conference games in the Wisconsin thread:

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  Future n/c schedules:

2013/2014
                  Home: CC-2, Lake St-2, NM-2 Away: Miami-2, BU-1, BC-1
                  2014/2015
                  Home: BU-2, Tech-2, UND-2 Away: DU-1, CC-1
                  2015/2016
                  Home: DU-2 Away: UND-2, BU-1, BC-1
                  2016/2017
                  Home: BC-2, UND-2 Away: DU-1, CC-1
                  2017/2018
                  Away: UND-2
                  Keep in mind that we're likely to have over a dozen non-conference games once we go to the BTHC, so this is far from complete, but it does look like there is an effort to both maintain some old rivalries and to keep the likes of LSSU, NMU and Tech on the schedules.

Obviously, the only away dates you see there are with the likes of UND, DU, BU, BC, etc., so it will remain to be seen whether UW will be visiting any "lesser" away barns. I'm not holding my breath. UW does have a habit of not traveling away if it can be avoided.

Comment

NMU has a four year extension with UW.
                    2012-13: at NMU (Green Bay)
                    2013-14: at UW
                    2014-15: at NMU (Green Bay)
                    2015-16: at UW
                    2016-17: at NMU (Green Bay)

While it's not a home game in the true sense, I'll take it because NMU is hosting at the Resch Center, so after rental costs, NMU keeps the gate income.

And with that four year cycle, I could imagine that MTU could vice-versa that starting with 2013-14 if they wanted to.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      NMU has a four year extension with UW.
                      2012-13: at NMU (Green Bay)
                      2013-14: at UW
                      2014-15: at NMU (Green Bay)
                      2015-16: at UW
                      2016-17: at NMU (Green Bay)

While it's not a home game in the true sense, I'll take it because NMU is hosting at the Resch Center, so after rental costs, NMU keeps the gate income.

And with that four year cycle, I could imagine that MTU could vice-versa that starting with 2013-14 if they wanted to.
                      Absolutely a smart decision if UW wants to do it.

Comment

More than likely, UW will be facing old foes, but probably not at their rinks. Tim A posted what we have so far for upcoming non-conference games in the Wisconsin thread:

Keep in mind that we're likely to have over a dozen non-conference games once we go to the BTHC, so this is far from complete, but it does look like there is an effort to both maintain some old rivalries and to keep the likes of LSSU, NMU and Tech on the schedules.

Obviously, the only away dates you see there are with the likes of UND, DU, BU, BC, etc., so it will remain to be seen whether UW will be visiting any "lesser" away barns. I'm not holding my breath. UW does have a habit of not traveling away if it can be avoided.

You can sure see how much they hated the WCHA.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          ...and most importantly OSU and PSU.

Comment

One thing you can say about Maturi is that hockey was high on his list. Whatever you say about Alverez...you don't get that feeling from him.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Oh, it was high on one of Barry's lists.

Then again, if Barry was in charge of the entire sport, I think we'd see some differences - move the net up onto a ten-foot-tall pole, get rid of the goalie, take away all that silly padding and protective gear, exchange the ice for a wood floor and drop the skates, make the little weird round thing into a proper-sized ball...
                              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Working...
                              X