Fernie Flamin, former NU coach, dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fernie Flamin, former NU coach, dies

As reported by the Boston Globe, Fernie Flamin, former 1950's Bruins defenseman and Northeastern's coach from 1970-89, died.

Flamin was coach of NU's four Beanpot winners and won the Hockey East Title once. I remember seeing some of his NU teams in the 70's. Was especially impressed by the Huck/Martel teams.

Keeping Fernie and his family in prayers.
    Here we come!

Re: Fernie Flamin, former NU coach, dies

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
    As reported by the Boston Globe, Fernie Flamin, former 1950's Bruins defenseman and Northeastern's coach from 1970-89, died.

Flamin was coach of NU's four Beanpot winners and won the Hockey East Title once. I remember seeing some of his NU teams in the 70's. Was especially impressed by the Huck/Martel teams.

Keeping Fernie and his family in prayers.
    If nothing else, Fern Flaman (not Flamin) was a case study in what you see is not necessarily what you get. One of the things that made me a fan of the Bruins as a young kid was #14, a burley big bad defenseman for the Big Bad Bruins of the '50s. He wasn't the biggest guy on the ice by any means but he took on all comers--Gordie Howe, Rocket Richard, and Jean Beliveau included.

But when he coached Northeastern two decades later, I came to know him as one of the most compassionate, caring, courteous gentlemen it was ever my pleasure to come to know. A class act in every respect. And as a coach, he got the most out of the talent he had, which usually didn't match up on paper to BC, BU, and Harvard but yet he found a way to win four Beanpots, an ECAC championship, a Hockey East championship, and three NCAA appearances, and a Frozen Four appearance.

Ferny personified the best years of Northeastern Hockey. I hope we're not saying the same thing ten years from now.

BTW, somewhat disappointed that uscho.com hasn't picked up one of the many wire stories on Fern's passing.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      BTW, somewhat disappointed that uscho.com hasn't picked up one of the many wire stories on Fern's passing.
      really inexcusable if you ask me............

Comment

Rip
        These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

looks like they've put something out there finally

Comment

Went to my first summer hockey camp run by Fern, Don McKenney, and a few others many years ago. Those 2 weeks had a lot to do with my eventual love of the game...RIP Coach Flaman. And thank you
            Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Flaman's 87-88' NU team was really something to see. With the likes of David O'Brien, Dave Buda, Harry Mews, and Rico Rossi, they were talented and intimidating. They also had the excellent Bruce Racine in goal.That team won the Beanpot and the HE tournamentand I have always believed that had they not been the victims of a stunning upset in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament, they would have been trouble for everyone. Sure, I hated them but I couldn't help but be impressed one Tuesday night when I found most of the team at WBA watching a mediocre BU team play. I asked them what they were doing there and one of them responded that they felt like catching a hockey game and the Bruins weren't playing so they took the T up to the BU campus and bought tickets. Something to be said for a group that liked hockey that much.

Comment

Working...
              X