URI to Hockey East...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URI to Hockey East...

Yes, URI should join Hockey East. they'd obviously be a much better geographic fit than Notre Dame.

"but URI is a club team..."

Yes, and so was Penn State a year ago.

"but they'd get man-handled by the likes of BC, BU, Maine, UNH..."

remember when Union joined the ECAC? I do. they got man-handled on several occasions. They were on the short end of many lopsided scores. they were the conference punching bag for years. then they got better. And look what they've accomplished now.

URI is a successful ACHA division 1 club team in a state with a strong hockey tradition. They’ve got an ACHA National Title to their credit in 2006. Of the six flagship public universities in the six New England states, URI is now the only one not competing at the NCAA division 1 level in Hockey East. That should change. If UConn can make the move i think URI could too.

As for Notre Dame, the Big Ten should’ve invited them to join for hockey. Lets face it – Notre Dame is essentially a Big Ten team, regardless of their Big East affiliation. People have been saying that for years. Part of me thinks the Big Ten would’ve invited them if they were a true independent and not in the Big East. And I don’t think it’s out of the question for Big Ten hockey to make them an offer in the future. If they do, Notre Dame should take it. And if they were to make that move and leave Hockey East, URI would be the best and most logical replacement.

Food for thought.

Re: URI to Hockey East...

If that's food for thought, we've all got food poisoning now.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Go rhody!!!!
      Providence College
      National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

too bad 38pitches can't pay back that loan.... schilling rink has a nice ring to it.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

How about this:

Bring the Hartford Whalers to Hockey East. I know they're not a D-1 team right now but neither was Penn state a year ago. "They would probably get manhandled by Merrimack and Providence" but remember when some random other team was bad but got better?

The Whalers left Hartford and won a Stanley Cup just a few years later so you know they'll be good if we completely rebuild the team. Connecticut has a strong hockey tradition? Of the six states in New England, Connecticut is one of them. That shouldn't change. If something something then URI.

As for the Blue Jackets, the AHL should just invite them to join for hockey. Let's face it-the Blue Jackets are essentially an AHL team, regardless of their NHL affiliation. People have been saying that for years. Part of me thinks the AHL would have invited them if they were a good hockey team and not in the NHL (and if the AHL could just add teams). And I don't think it's out of the question for the AHL to make them an offer in the future. If they do, the Blue Jackets should take it. Basically, Whalers to Hockey East, Blue Jackets to the AHL, Red Sox to the AFC.

I hope this made sense.

Comment

If they could get ice in the Ryan Center, I'd be all for URI upgrading to the ECAC (or Hockey East).
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
              How about this:

Bring the Hartford Whalers to Hockey East....

I hope this made sense.
              nope. didn't make any sense at all. not even ironically.

Comment

URI's response to the news that UConn has been invited to join Hockey East:

Hey, we just read this,
                and this is crazy,
                but but we might upgrade,
                so call us, maybe?

Comment

RISD. Definitely RISD.
                  Bentley University Hockey
                  On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
                    URI's response to the news that UConn has been invited to join Hockey East:

Hey, we just read this,
                    and this is crazy,
                    but but we might upgrade,
                    so call us, maybe?
                    Ummm ... wow...
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

http://thephoeni*****/boston/news/134079-risds-hockey-team-turns-the-dick-joke-into-high-a/

RISD Hockey
                      Providence College
                      National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

In order to make room they'd have to KICK PROVICED} OUT OF HOCKEY RAST!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          In order to make room they'd have to KICK PROVICED} OUT OF HOCKEY RAST!!!!!
                          Absolutely it could only be done by Design.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            RISD. Definitely RISD.
                            Go Nads!

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                              If they could get ice in the Ryan Center, I'd be all for URI upgrading to the ECAC (or Hockey East).
                              They built Boss Arena about a decade ago with the intention of expanding and updating it in the future if the school was to achieve D-I hockey. It currently seats between 1,500 and 2,500, depending on who you ask, and would probably be expanded to around 3-3,500 if the school went D-I.

However, given the school's budget shortfalls for almost everything (due in part to the building of the Ryan Center and the renovation of Meade Stadium), they don't really have the fiscal means to do anything right now, except maybe dorm renovations and simple things like that.

It will be a long time before URI is financially stable enough to get a hockey team. A lot of it has to do with the state's horrific financial situation, since it is a state school. I'd say Bryant has a better chance (in terms of feasibility) of getting a D-I team, since they are a private institution. But in reality, neither school is going to think about it for quite some time.

Comment

Working...
                              X