• Show
Clear All

• Announced: UConn to Hockey East

http://www.courant.com/sports/colleg...,1175943.story

Re: Announced: UConn to Hockey East

Joe Thornton was traded?
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

So U-Conn will be to Atlantic Hockey what Denver and UND were to the WCHA...
      Let the Atlantic Hockey circus begin... The line has been drawn and you're either with AIC or you're against them, but I still would like a jersey either way.

Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

AIC has the power! =]

Comment

Congrats To UCONN. Looking forward To it
          Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

I'm torn on this.

On the one hand, UConn is a joke of a program and doesn't deserve this.

On the other hand, whereas most College Sports Conferences are throwing geography out the window, Hockey East (outside of Notre Dame) isn't. Someone on the nWCHA thread made a joke about "tucking in eastern players and giving them a teddy bear on long, two hour bus rides," but I really like that and think it's the way it should be. The more I look at it, the more I wish that Hockey East was an all-sports conference. Of course, that would require almost half the league add football, but still.

In summary-short term sucks...long term has potential to be good.
            #NewMass

Comment

This move wasn't made for the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyking View Post
                This move wasn't made for the short term.
                Bingo! UCONN is already developing plans to upgrade and expand its arena. The XL plan is only for a year or two until that is complete, although they will likely always play a few games in Hartford each season. Also according to the HEA commissioner they want to create a tournament in hartford for UCONN, Yale, Sacred Heart and Quinnipiac. Maybe it repalces the current UCONN tournament during the holidays.

Comment

It creates an open slot in Atlantic Hockey that could be filled by Alabama-Huntsville.

Also: This pretty much dashes Harvard's hopes of joining HE.
                  Last edited by Nazbob RPI fan; 06-22-2012, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I think the timing is appropriate. UConn will have a couple of years in the AHA adding scholarships and getting up to speed before they transition to HE rather than going a year earlier. I would hope to see some substantial progress up the AHA standings over the next two years that reflects the new resources being applied. If not, I will start to get worried.

Someone mentioned the easily stimulated animosity between BC and UConn fans. In hockey, that is just not the case. I know of no UConn hockey fan who does not hold BC in awe in men's hockey. For me personally, Jerry York was a highly successful coach at Clarkson before he ended up at BC. Nothing but respect from us Golden Knights.

That said ... football and basketball are a different story.

Comment

And the schedule does not look too bad. Starting to get a bit more challenging.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m...key-sched.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                        Also according to the HEA commissioner they want to create a tournament in hartford for UCONN, Yale, Sacred Heart and Quinnipiac.
                        I hope the commish isn't taking credit for that because a "Nutmeg Cup" has been discussed in the past. The problem is Yale due to their shortened schedule not allowing as many OC games. Also, I don't think anyone really wants a Connecticut version of the Beanpot.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Still can't believe a conference as good as Hockey East would take a bottom of the barrel program like UConn with so many better options available. UVM was a legitimate program prior to going there and they are a bottom feeder now. Complete headscratcher.
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

There goes the neighborhood.
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                              Still can't believe a conference as good as Hockey East would take a bottom of the barrel program like UConn with so many better options available. UVM was a legitimate program prior to going there and they are a bottom feeder now. Complete headscratcher.
                              Ask UML how bad UConn was without scholarships last year. Then project forward two years to when they will have 18. I would not scratch your head too hard. And besides, as the man said, this was not done for the short term.

Comment

Working...
                              X