• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SNC & St. Scholastica to MCHA

BTW, this upcoming season will also be last for the NCHAMAICMCHA Pick-em
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
      BTW, this upcoming season will also be last for the NCHAMAICMCHA Pick-em
      So we have lost the interlock pick 'em, the interlock LPS and now the NCHAMIACMCHA Pick-em all due to the same disease---the dreaded insularity virus.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

This is for the WIAC's chances of making the tourney.

Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Don't conferences that fall below the requisite # of AQ teams get 2 years to get it back to 7 before losing the AQ?? Norm???
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Don't conferences that fall below the requisite # of AQ teams get 2 years to get it back to 7 before losing the AQ?? Norm???
            Only if they still exist.
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Very cool. A shift in power in the west for sure.

It is kind of sad to see a league as storied as the NCHA disappear (on the men's side anyways.) But change isn't always a bad thing. The WIAC schools made their bed and now it looks like they may have quite a few sleepless nights in it...

Comment

I didn't really harbor a ton of bad feelings toward the WIAC schools for the move because although I loved the NCHA and preferred the status quo I get the move. That said, I'm totally up for this. The WIAC schools weren't looking out for SNC and St. Scholastica so there was no reason for those two schools to worry about what happened to the five UW schools. We may witness some ugly games in the first few years with teams from the bottom half of the league, but this should give a big jumpstart to the already rising MCHA tide.
                Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                  I didn't really harbor a ton of bad feelings toward the WIAC schools for the move because although I loved the NCHA and preferred the status quo I get the move. That said, I'm totally up for this. The WIAC schools weren't looking out for SNC and St. Scholastica so there was no reason for those two schools to worry about what happened to the five UW schools. We may witness some ugly games in the first few years with teams from the bottom half of the league, but this should give a big jumpstart to the already rising MCHA tide.
                  Some of the schools that are going to be on the wrong end of some ugly games have been down that road, just a couple years ago. They're just going to have to raise their own games. Everyone in this league is going to have to, as a matter of fact.

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                  The NCHA is NOT a big question mark - it is about to be RIP, killed by the economy. The WIAC has potential - but they better have some determination and rabbits in their hats.

Hello Pool B...
                  Sorry, but I don't see the potential for those 5 schools here. If the ECAC-W gets to 7, these WIAC schools might have just committed program suicide.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Interestingly no one from the WIAC is speaking up in their own defense ... come on you Superior and Stevens Pointers ... where are you?

Comment

The arrogant WIACers did themselves in. If/When the ECAC West gets to 7 teams, they are going to be really hurting as far as the NCAAs are concerned.
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                        Interestingly no one from the WIAC is speaking up in their own defense ... come on you Superior and Stevens Pointers ... where are you?
                        Defend what? The WIAC made a decision and the remaining NCHA teams made a decision. Both paths appear to be solidified and it will be very interesting to see where it takes everyone. Congratulations to the MCHA on accepting the Green Knights, 55-0-2 all time against current MCHA members, and the Saints into your league. Hey Adrian is there a frequent drivers club that has the best deal you can recommend to the Saints? I think they will be looking for one very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          Some of the schools that are going to be on the wrong end of some ugly games have been down that road, just a couple years ago. They're just going to have to raise their own games. Everyone in this league is going to have to, as a matter of fact.
                          Not knowing the MCHA schools that well, is there any concern that some of them may decide they don't want to spend the resources to up their program and go the way of Lebanon Valley?
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Not knowing the MCHA schools that well, is there any concern that some of them may decide they don't want to spend the resources to up their program and go the way of Lebanon Valley?
                            The only one that comes to mind would be Lake Forest. Concordia just got a new rink and poached Marian's coach, and my gut tells me that Finlandia and Northland are staying put. Northland has improved immensely the last couple years, and Finlandia showed signs of life the 2nd half of last year.

Marian has underfunded their program but they just hired a SNC assistant, so for now I see a commitment there as well.
                            Last edited by Hammer; 06-19-2012, 07:23 AM.
                            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Blugold Hockey View Post
                              Defend what? The WIAC made a decision and the remaining NCHA teams made a decision. Both paths appear to be solidified and it will be very interesting to see where it takes everyone. Congratulations to the MCHA on accepting the Green Knights, 55-0-2 all time against current MCHA members, and the Saints into your league. Hey Adrian is there a frequent drivers club that has the best deal you can recommend to the Saints? I think they will be looking for one very soon.
                              It's true, they'll probably have to travel to Adrian every other season, but they're not a WIAC school so they can afford to do so. It seems there has been some implications that CSS is stuck up in the middle of nowhere by MCHA standards when that simply isn't true. Northland is almost as close to them as Superior, and Finlandia is still a bigger hike for every other MCHA team. The real question may be how long before the WIAC moves down to ACHA?

Edit : 55-0-2 is only slightly more impressive than SNC 's 40-4-4 all time record vs. Eau Claire.
                              Last edited by altazo; 06-19-2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                                It's true, they'll probably have to travel to Adrian every other season, but they're not a WIAC school so they can afford to do so. It seems there has been some implications that CSS is stuck up in the middle of nowhere by MCHA standards when that simply isn't true. Northland is almost as close to them as Superior, and Finlandia is still a bigger hike for every other MCHA team. The real question may be how long before the WIAC moves down to ACHA?

Edit : 55-0-2 is only slightly more impressive than SNC 's 40-4-4 all time record vs. Eau Claire.
                                MCHA League Travel
                                Saints – Notrthland 70 Miles
                                Saints – Finlandia 217 Miles
                                Saints – St. Norbert 330 Miles
                                Saints – Lawrence 337 Miles
                                Saints – Marian 356 Miles
                                Saints – MSOE 397 Miles
                                Saints – Concordia 412 Miles
                                Saints – Lake Forest 454 Miles
                                Saints – Adrian 697 Miles

NCHA League Travel
                                Saints – Superior 15 Miles
                                Saints – Eau Claire 155 Miles
                                Saints – Stout 171 Miles
                                Saints – River Falls 175 Miles
                                Saints – Stevens Point 268 Miles
                                Saints – St. Norbert 330 Miles

(roughly, not door to door for mileage)

Like you said Altazo, at least the Saints are closer to Northland and Finlandia than most of the other MCHA teams. I'm sure traveling on the two lane roads to play Northland and Finlandia will feel shorter knowing that they're a lot closer than most MCHA schools.

And yest Altazo, UWEC is way on the wrong end of the 40-4-4 Record vs the Knights (they're a pretty good team) and while being so bad vs the Knights UWEC has had no problems walking into Adrian the last two years and taken care of business. The best team the MCHA has had since its inception (Adrian) has an all time record of 1-5 vs current NCHA teams and three of those losses were against teams that finished in the bottom of the NCHA in the respective season's that they beat Adrian.

On a separate note as a DIII hockey fan; if the WIAC does fold like it seems a lot of people are speculating that would probably hurt the possibility of expanding the NCAA Tournament, so I hope all the dooms day prepers are wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X