Harvard Crimson Women 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Crimson Women 2012-2013

I thought someone should start the thread.

Note to fans of other colleges: Just a suggestion but note that I included both school name and nickname in the thread name. I did this as I know others will have the same problem I have. I cannot remember all of the team nicknames. I therefore and looking for a thread and cannot decipher "Lady Hermit Crabs" or "Fighting Gerbils" into a connection with a college. I would love it if others would do the same.

The reason for this post is the electronic version of Harvard Magazine that came out today had a link to a Boston Herald artice said that Katey Stone has been named as coach of the US Olympic Team
    http://bostonherald.com/sports/colle...eid=1061138328

The article is silent as to when Katey is leaving her duties at Harvard. Anyone know? Great coach and a nice young woman. Good luck to her and I hope Harvard doesn't miss her for long.

Re: Harvard Crimson Women 2012-2013

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    The article is silent as to when Katey is leaving her duties at Harvard. Anyone know? Great coach and a nice young woman. Good luck to her and I hope Harvard doesn't miss her for long.
    If it is like the last Olympics (MJ), she would be away from Harvard during the 2013-2014 season.

Comment

Note to fans of other colleges: Just a suggestion but note that I included both school name and nickname in the thread name. I did this as I know others will have the same problem I have. I cannot remember all of the team nicknames. I therefore and looking for a thread and cannot decipher "Lady Hermit Crabs" or "Fighting Gerbils" into a connection with a college. I would love it if others would do the same.

The reason for this post is the electronic version of Harvard Magazine that came out today had a link to a Boston Herald artice said that Katey Stone has been named as coach of the US Olympic Team

Bonus points for avoiding trite colloquialisms.

Now then, where were we?

Comment

I believe her USA Olympic duties will start in July of next year.
        "Keep your head up, and your stick on the ice."

Comment

An honor well deserved and a long time coming. No disrespect to Mark Johnson because he is a great coach but Katey has deserved consideration for some time now.

What will be interesting is to see who will take over during the year she is away from Harvard. None of the assistant coaches to my knowledge have head coaching experience at the D-1 level. I'm hoping they bring in an interim coach with experience - otherwise, we'll be in for a very long season given the number of seniors graduating after next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            An honor well deserved and a long time coming. No disrespect to Mark Johnson because he is a great coach but Katey has deserved consideration for some time now.

What will be interesting is to see who will take over during the year she is away from Harvard. None of the assistant coaches to my knowledge have head coaching experience at the D-1 level. I'm hoping they bring in an interim coach with experience - otherwise, we'll be in for a very long season given the number of seniors graduating after next season.
            Maura Crowell will be assuming the HC duties.

Comment

I have heard that they will be bringing in some additional Coaching help during that Olympic Year.
              "Keep your head up, and your stick on the ice."

Comment

I stand corrected. In reviewing Maura Crowell's background, she has indeed been a head coach at UMass Boston. Looks like she has good background in talent evaluation but not much coaching experience and none at the D-1 level. So we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

If I were Laura Bellamy, I might be more than a little concerned about my competition for playing time next year. This girl has a boatload of confidence:

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip696638

Comment

If I were Laura Bellamy, I might be more than a little concerned about my competition for playing time next year. This girl has a boatload of confidence:

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip696638
                    With this girl coming in and an additional goalie also as a new freshman, this makes you wonder why the USA U18 team goalie Brianna Laing from Nobles/Assabet Valley would want to go to Harvard starting in 2013 (see 2013-2014 commitments thread). Obviously, there is a considerable non-hockey benefit of going to Harvard (I guess one of the goalies from last year's Harvard team is leaving the team but is staying at Harvard). But it seems like if Laing could go to Harvard she could get in almost anywhere and there are definitely comparable academic/prestige schools in more need of goaltending - Princeton (her sister goes there), Dartmouth, Yale, and some others.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                      But it seems like if Laing could go to Harvard she could get in almost anywhere and there are definitely comparable academic/prestige schools in more need of goaltending - Princeton (her sister goes there), Dartmouth, Yale, and some others.
                      It's no secret that Harvard admissions is comparatively soft on recruited athletes: Both Yale and Princeton are significantly more difficult to be admitted to as athletes than Harvard. I am also aware of situations where an athlete was rejected by Dartmouth admissions yet admitted to Harvard with those same test scores.

Probably also goes a long way to explaining why Harvard also has the second lowest incidence of players on the ECAC all academic list this year among the 12 schools in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        With this girl coming in and an additional goalie also as a new freshman, this makes you wonder why the USA U18 team goalie Brianna Laing from Nobles/Assabet Valley would want to go to Harvard starting in 2013 (see 2013-2014 commitments thread). Obviously, there is a considerable non-hockey benefit of going to Harvard (I guess one of the goalies from last year's Harvard team is leaving the team but is staying at Harvard). But it seems like if Laing could go to Harvard she could get in almost anywhere and there are definitely comparable academic/prestige schools in more need of goaltending - Princeton (her sister goes there), Dartmouth, Yale, and some others.
                        I posted in the Commitments thread for next season that Tiana Press has indeed left the program but is staying at Harvard. I can't tell you why Laing has decided to come to Cambridge but as we discovered not so long ago, you can't have enough quality goalies. Laing may feel that she is on par or better than the two incoming goalies and is willing to prove it on the ice. Press was supposed to be highly regarded. Obviously it didn't work out for her. Who knows if the incoming goalies will set the world on fire? Laing may yet be the best of the bunch. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                          It's no secret that Harvard admissions is comparatively soft on recruited athletes: Both Yale and Princeton are significantly more difficult to be admitted to as athletes than Harvard. I am also aware of situations where an athlete was rejected by Dartmouth admissions yet admitted to Harvard with those same test scores.

Probably also goes a long way to explaining why Harvard also has the second lowest incidence of players on the ECAC all academic list this year among the 12 schools in the conference.
                          Perhaps but the Committee obviously didn't feel that Kendall Coyne was up to handling Harvard's academics; otherwise she would have been admitted and from what I read, she would have been wearing crimson and white last season had she been admitted.

We've lost out on a number of athletes that would have helped us because of questionable academics. Perhaps Yale, Princeton and Dartmouth have lost out on more athletes but you can't really convince me that Dartmouth is hurting given that year in and year out, they compete for the ECAC crown. They get their share of talented kids.

Comment

2011-12 HOCKEY EAST ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM

Anderson, Nicole (Providence, F)
                            Armstrong, Hannah (New Hampshire, F) **

Bacon, Kate (Providence, F)
                            Bergland, Megan (Vermont, F)
                            Boucher, Kasey (Boston University, D) +
                            Boyles, Corinne (Boston College, G) ***
                            Brock, Katie (New Hampshire, D) ***
                            Brown, Kristina (Boston College, F) **
                            Buie, Corinne (Providence, F)

Cardella, Jill (Boston University, F) **
                            Clark, Emma (New Hampshire, F)
                            Cohen, Jessica (Providence, F) ***
                            Cottrell, Ashley (Providence, F)
                            Coyne, Kendall (Northeastern, F)
                            Croussette, Myriam (Maine, F) ***

Comment

You can never have too much starting pitching...er, I mean goaltending.

If we look back at the seasons when Brittany Martin and Christina Kessler overlapped, we'd be wrong to think of them as constantly competing for ice time: Kessler was injured most of her first semester and Martin was injured almost her entire senior year, if memory serves.

Comment

Working...
                              X