Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-man officiating system implented across all D-III beginning 2012-13

http://www.uscho.com/2012/06/10/over...et-more-study/

The SUNYAC was ahead of the curb by a year. Next year, every Division III game will have four officials with two refs and two linesman.

Also, hand passes are now ILLEGAL in ALL zones. As any true hockey fan/player knows you used to be able to do it in the defensive zone.

Also, the topic of going to 3/4 shield visors was tabled for a year but it is noted the coaches strongly encourage this to happen.

Leagues now have the opportunity to come up with their own overtime format. They can have it be 4 on 4 and still count as an official NCAA game.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: 4-man officiating system implented across all D-III beginning 2012-13

The change in the hand pass rule makes sense. I must say that some officials were already calling it that way (however much they were incorrect) in years past.

I must further say that my 4 1/2 years at Cornell didn't have any courses explaining why 4 x 4 overtime would be of any benefit however LOL !

GO CARDS

Wally
    Cornell '67

Comment

well on the same tip as hand passes.......WHY cant you kick a puck in??? it would seem to make the game a little more interesting,a few more goals wouldnt hurt, and if you have the skill to do it WHY NOT????

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
        well on the same tip as hand passes.......WHY cant you kick a puck in??? it would seem to make the game a little more interesting,a few more goals wouldnt hurt, and if you have the skill to do it WHY NOT????
        I dislike the ability to intentionally kick a puck in the net. I see where you are going with more scoring but I think it completely takes away from what the game should be. They play the game with sticks for a reason. Use them.

Also having guys flailing their legs around trying to kick a puck in the crease I feel could lead to more guys falling off balance and hitting their head on the ice creating that "snap" motion that causes concussions etc.
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

The NCAA article is here.

Initial caveat "Rule changes are subject to approval by the NCAA’s Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which meets in July"

You will be allowed to kick the puck in, as long as you don't utilize the "a distinct kicking motion", in essence, if you can devolop the skill of kicking it in without getting caught, it will count.

Also, I hope "Geoff Discher" is a member of the USCHO staff.

Also, it does note "Mandating the two-referee, two-linesman officiating system for men’s hockey at both the Division I and Division III levels while leaving an option for a two-referee, one-linesman system for the women’s game.", but I'm not so sure the overtime policy will apply to Division III.
          Last edited by norm1909; 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM. Reason: e
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
            The NCAA article is here.

Initial ceaveat "Rule changes are subject to approval by the NCAA’s Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which meets in July"

You will be allowed to kick the puck in, as long as you don't utilize the "a distinct kicking motion", in essence, if you can devolop the skill of kicking it in without getting caught, it will count.

Also, I hope "Geoff Discher" is a member of the USCHO staff.

Also, it does note "Mandating the two-referee, two-linesman officiating system for men’s hockey at both the Division I and Division III levels while leaving an option for a two-referee, one-linesman system for the women’s game.", but I'm not so sure the overtime policy will apply to Division III.
            Thnks for the link Norm, I understand the rule but WHY NOT be able to score a goal WITH a distinct kicking motion, it takes skill the same??? more goals more fun fun fun

Comment

Thnks for the link Norm, I understand the rule but WHY NOT be able to score a goal WITH a distinct kicking motion, it takes skill the same??? more goals more fun fun fun
              “It seems like the hockey community is comfortable with the concept of a distinct kicking motion, so we hope this brings some clarity to this rule as well.”

Distinct - presenting a clear unmistakable impression.

So it is distinct if the player _________________________ .
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Because you can hurt someone really, really bad.

Besides, it's hockey, not soccer. What next, dives and fake injuries...
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                  “It seems like the hockey community is comfortable with the concept of a distinct kicking motion, so we hope this brings some clarity to this rule as well.”

Distinct - presenting a clear unmistakable impression.

So it is distinct if the player _________________________ .
                  The goal Ryan Callahan scored against NJ would be a prime example of this.

He turned his skate to deflect the puck, but he never swung his leg which would have been a distinct kicking motion.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    Because you can hurt someone really, really bad.

Besides, it's hockey, not soccer. What next, dives and fake injuries...
                    Yea your right nobody ever gets hurt in hockey......if your worried about getting hurt play backgammon..

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      The goal Ryan Callahan scored against NJ would be a prime example of this.

He turned his skate to deflect the puck, but he never swung his leg which would have been a distinct kicking motion.
                      While I agree, IMO, the rule should simply be that "skates may be used to deflect the puck into the net, however, using the skate to forcibly propel the puck into the net shall not be allowed." Perhaps it is just semantics and I don't like the term distinct. In my professions, be it business or as a computer technician, there are many things that to me are distinct (leave a "clear unmistakable impression"), but I have learned that "distinctness" is a function of ones experiences and reference points. To paraphrase Diogenes Laertius - 'There is nothing distinct except perception'.
                      Last edited by norm1909; 06-11-2012, 06:24 PM. Reason: at
                      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

The officials can't get the calls right now as it stands, so why add more? In all seriousness, why do they keep trying to "tweak" the game? I loved the game as it was before, and in the last 5 years all these changes have made it different from the game I grew up loving. I don't like all of recent changes.
                        Last edited by Saints17; 06-11-2012, 06:52 PM.
                        LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

I am surprised that we haven't heard anything (at least I haven't) in regards to replay on goals.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            I am surprised that we haven't heard anything (at least I haven't) in regards to replay on goals.
                            I don't think its feasible to require video replay on goals at the Division III level. Way too many teams IMHO that don't own their own rink.
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              http://www.uscho.com/2012/06/10/over...et-more-study/

The SUNYAC was ahead of the curb by a year. Next year, every Division III game will have four officials with two refs and two linesman.

Also, hand passes are now ILLEGAL in ALL zones. As any true hockey fan/player knows you used to be able to do it in the defensive zone.

Also, the topic of going to 3/4 shield visors was tabled for a year but it is noted the coaches strongly encourage this to happen.

Leagues now have the opportunity to come up with their own overtime format. They can have it be 4 on 4 and still count as an official NCAA game.

I remember when DIII only had two officials!

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                              X