Cjhl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cjhl

Curious, What is the strength of this league compared to say the OJHL, or USHL or even Major Junior ?
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Re: Cjhl

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
    Curious, What is the strength of this league compared to say the OJHL, or USHL or even Major Junior ?
    It's exactly the same strength as the OJHL, given the OJHL is part of the CJHL.

Comment

It's fairly comparable to the OJHL, although perhaps not as deep in terms of the number of potential NCAA Div 1 players. Neither the OJHL or CJHL is as strong as the USHL.

Comment

The reason for asking is that Colgate has three first team allstars, one second team, and one third team all star, five allstars from the CJHL as recruits this fall. They also have the leading goalscorer in Darcy Murphy coming. What can we exect from these players ?

They have put up stupid good numbers, Spink,Spink, Borowkowski, Kyle Baun(Bobby Baun's grandson).

Comment

In Ontario CJHL = Central Junior Hockey League. It is an Eastern Ontario league in the Ottawa region. The OJHL is a Toronto based league. I played in both leagues (long, long ago). I live near Kingston and see both. The talent level is about the same but if I had to pick one it's the CJHL. Less teams more balance. Pembroke, Brockville and Cornwall always ice good teams.

Comment

Soo....No big deal for Colgate ???

Comment

So pretty much you got Cornwalls leading scorers this season. Way to use the Jesse Winchester connection.
              Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Yes...Winchester was instrumental in acquiring the Spink twins I know. The credentials for the 5-6 guys coming in are phenominal. Darcy Murphy had 54 goals and led the league.
                I'm trying to find out the credibility of the league, what to expect ?

Comment

Yes...Winchester was instrumental in acquiring the Spink twins I know. The credentials for the 5-6 guys coming in are phenominal. Darcy Murphy had 54 goals and led the league.
                  I'm trying to find out the credibility of the league, what to expect ?
                  Murphy played for Wellington in the OJHL, not the CJHL where your other recruits are coming from.

Comment

Seems like "league" rankings, while generally agreed upon, can be a bit deceiving. There is a wide variation in the number of DI players teams within a league produce. For instance, the New Hampshire Junior Monarchs have produced a boat-load of Hockey East and ECAC players and have 9 DI commits for 2012, fellow league member the NJ hitmen have 12 while the Capital District Selects have none and the Green Mountain Glades have 2. Last I looked, it there was a pretty big variation between teams in the other Jr. leagues as well. I also found this, for what it is worth:

Monday, February 27, 2012
                    The Canadian Junior Hockey League today announced its Final Weekly Top 20 rankings for the 2011-12 season. Last week's rankings and the leagues in which the teams belong to are in parenthesis. Best wishes to all in the upcoming playoffs towards the RBC Cup in Humboldt, SK. The weekly rankings are selected in consultation with NHL Central Scouting and are proudly presented by PlayingUpHockey.com:
                    1. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (1)
                    2. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (2)
                    3. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (3)
                    4. Wisconsin Wilderness (SIJHL) (4)
                    5. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (5)
                    6. Nepean Raiders (CCHL) (7)
                    7. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (6)
                    8. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (8)
                    9. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (15)
                    10. Lloydminster Bobcats (AJHL) (10)
                    11. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (11)
                    12. Newmarket Hurricanes (OJHL) (12)
                    13. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (13)
                    14. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (14)
                    15. Dauphin Kings (MJHL) (15)
                    16. Cornwall Colts (CCHL) (17)
                    17. Surrey Eagles (BCHL) (20)
                    18. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (18)
                    19. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (19)
                    20. Les Cougars du College Champlain - Sherbrooke (LHJAAAQ) (16)
                    Honourable Mention: Powell River Kings (BCHL), Weyburn Red Wings (SJHL), St. Michael's Buzzers(OJHL), Brockville Braves (CCHL), Yarmouth Jr. 'A' Mariners (MHL).
                    Weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the teams play, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
                    The CJHL is comprised of the ten Junior A hockey leagues across Canada.

Obviously, these types of rankings are pretty subjective but it gives some idea. In the BC cup tournament (Cdn Jr. Championship) Nepean beat Cornwall in seven, then lost to the Woodstock slammers by a goal (one of Nepean's two scored by Ryan Johnston who will be relocating to Hamilton soon) in the regional championship. Woodstock lost the RBC championship game by a goal to Penticon.

Other Colgate players that came from the CHL besides Winchester - Etienne Morin, Rob Brown, David Sloane, Tom Riley, Nick St. Pierre and some guy named "Fridgen."

Comment

Thanks 93. Wonder where they ranked after the playoffs ? (Cornwall)

Comment

I would be more interested in who Colgate had to beat out for this recruiting class. If it was the Michigans, Minnesotas etc I am impressed. If it is Atlantic hockey teams I am not impressed. Not all high scorers in these leagues translate into high scorers in mens Div 1. I could name a number of high scoring Clarkson recruits (Freeman, Tremblay to name a couple) that were very high scoring forwards in the Ontario leagues (100+ points in their last season in those leagues) but were only good but not great Div 1 players and certainly came no where near the scoring totals I would have expected during their Div 1 careers. Clarkson has a kid Chis Finch coming in this year that was the leading scorer in the OJHL (104 pts) and I think was their player of the year. They also have Paul Geiger from the OJHL who I think was that leagues top defenseman. It will be really interesting to see how they develop. Is it the players talent, is it the coaching that develops that talent at the NC$$ level who knows? It is always a 4 year or sometimes shorter if they leave early a wait and see game. Good luck with them (but not too much) .
                        Last edited by vicb; 06-10-2012, 08:13 AM.
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Someone has to know more about these leagues ?

Comment

Someone has to know more about these leagues ?
                            What do you want go know? The CJHL and OJHL are not considered as strong as the BCHL among the Canadian Junior A leagues. They're also not as strong as the USHL. The OJHL probably puts out more Div 1 players than the CJHL , but also has a lot more teams, some of which are weak. The big name schools like Michigan and BU recruit the OJHL more than the CJHL, but even they don't pull a lot of players out of there. There are some quality players in both leagues, just not as many as in the USHL or the BCHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              What do you want go know? The CJHL and OJHL are not considered as strong as the BCHL among the Canadian Junior A leagues. They're also not as strong as the USHL. The OJHL probably puts out more Div 1 players than the CJHL , but also has a lot more teams, some of which are weak. The big name schools like Michigan and BU recruit the OJHL more than the CJHL, but even they don't pull a lot of players out of there. There are some quality players in both leagues, just not as many as in the USHL or the BCHL.
                              IMO, USHL is #1. BCHL and AJHL (Alberta, not Atlantic) are a distant two and three. The OJHL has been sinking under its weight as you indicated, but could get better as it contracts. I think that on good players per team the OJHL and CJHL are pretty even now.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                              X