Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inch top 10 for 2012/2013

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Didn't the Gophers win with Adam freakin Hauser? Goaltending doesn't matter!
    Hauser did not matter, it was Piotrowski who mattered in the last game

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      I think they'll be in the top 3 in the WCHA, which should put them in the top 10 overall. I don't have a problem with UW where they are at.
      Despite all the talent we have on board right now, that would still be a turnaround for the ages. We were pretty bad last year.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Despite all the talent we have on board right now, that would still be a turnaround for the ages. We were pretty bad last year.
        Pretty bad to begin last year, but the team was much improved by the end of the season.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          I think Cornell is poised to overtake Union as the token ECAC team in the top 10. Cornell came within 2 points in the ECAC standings this year, and if not for an inexplicable inability to beat the 10th best ECAC team, would have been clear of them by 2 points. Both Cornell and Union return a lot, but several of Cornell's key returnees are rising sophomores, who often make a bigger jump than rising juniors and seniors. Union had a good season, but their 32-point finish in the ECAC is well below the 34.6 point average for first place, and nowhere near the "special" teams (Harvard '89, Cornell '03, etc), so I don't see them as a lock for the national top 10 at all.
          In the last 3 years, Union has shown the ability to reload. They lost Kincaid and Grosenick steps right in and took the reigns in net. Easily one of the best 2-3 keepers in the country. Last year in league play, Union scored 10 more goals than Cornell and allowed 8 fewer, the year before that spread was even wider. Cornell is always well coached and well prepared. But Union has been the class of the league the last two seasons -- they roll three lines that can bury pucks. Last year's Union team was truly special by ECAC (or any) standards. ( and I'm no Union fan).
          Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Pretty bad to begin last year, but the team was much improved by the end of the season.
            They didn't improve that much, since they still finished 10th. If you want to give them credit for sweeping Bemidji and getting splits against Minnesota and Denver, that is reasonable, but that doesn't make them a top 10 team heading into this year. Even Wisconsin fans know this is absurd.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
              They didn't improve that much, since they still finished 10th. If you want to give them credit for sweeping Bemidji and getting splits against Minnesota and Denver, that is reasonable, but that doesn't make them a top 10 team heading into this year. Even Wisconsin fans know this is absurd.
              I think they'll be much better than people think, so a top 10 ranking doesn't bother me too much. But I understand what you're saying.

Comment

I think they'll be much better than people think, so a top 10 ranking doesn't bother me too much. But I understand what you're saying.
                Agreed. I think Wisconsin will be a good team, and they could very well be a top 10 team (potentially a Frozen Four team) by March. They have a pretty good recruiting class coming in, and if Zengerle (my Preseason Player of the Year in the WCHA at this point) can pair up with a pure goal scorer, the sky is the limit. The Badgers should get solid goaltending, and they have a strong blueline. Add that altogether and Wisconsin could have a nice season next year. That being said, I don't think I would include them in my top 10 right now, but they definitely have the potential to be a power next year.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

We've had a lot of "we have the talent, but they just can't put it together" seasons lately. The only thing about this year that makes be optimistic is the fact that (a) the talent actually is a lot better than usual, if unproven and (b) we've really only lost Schultz early, which puts us in a better position than usual with returning talent.

The upper limits of what this team can possibly do is pretty high, but that hasn't done much to improve my expectations, especially given how bad things have gotten in the last two years. Barring a bounceback, you'll start hearing the pessimists like myself start griping about how we're back in the late 90s all over again.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                    INCH has taken a surprising downturn in the past few years. The staff used to be very knowledgeable and kept their reports free of bias. Now I think they hired a bunch of BU fanboys to take over. Disappointing.
                    You're aware they didn't rank BU there, right?
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by knowitall View Post
                      hauser did not matter, it was piotrowski who mattered in the last game
                      bs.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        Agreed. I think Wisconsin will be a good team, and they could very well be a top 10 team (potentially a Frozen Four team) by March. They have a pretty good recruiting class coming in, and if Zengerle (my Preseason Player of the Year in the WCHA at this point) can pair up with a pure goal scorer, the sky is the limit. The Badgers should get solid goaltending, and they have a strong blueline. Add that altogether and Wisconsin could have a nice season next year. That being said, I don't think I would include them in my top 10 right now, but they definitely have the potential to be a power next year.
                        I guess that is why they play the games, but I just don't see it. This UW team doesn't score enough to be a top 4 team in the conference this year. They were 9th in the conference in scoring last year and 6th in defense. They lose Schultz and not much else, but Schultz was a Hobey Baker finalist.
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I guess that is why they play the games, but I just don't see it. This UW team doesn't score enough to be a top 4 team in the conference this year. They were 9th in the conference in scoring last year and 6th in defense. They lose Schultz and not much else, but Schultz was a Hobey Baker finalist.
                          What 4 teams do you see finishing ahead of Wisconsin in the WCHA? After Minnesota and North Dakota, any other contender in the WCHA is littered with question marks. Wisconsin returns 85 goals, which is more than SCSU and Denver, and the same as Nebraska-Omaha (of the teams that should compete for the 3-4 spots). Rumpel played well in net down the stretch for the Badgers, and Wisconsin's goalie situation is better than UNO's and at the very least even with SCSU's, while Denver perhaps has the best goaltending situation in the league for next season. As for the blueline, only SCSU has a slightly better defensive group heading into next season than Wisconsin. Given that, I would say that Wisconsin is probably a top-4 team, especially when you factor in the kids that they have coming in next season.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Kerdiles is my early pick for Frosh of the year, and should have the same type of immediate impact that Rau had for the Gophers last year. 10+ goals and 30-40 pts. Could be Benik too, but my early pick is Kerdiles.

Zengerle should be a beast this year. If Bjugstad returns, he's my pick for player of the year, but Zengerle isn't far behind.

I don't think the Badgers will score as much as Minnesota or North Dakota, but they will score more than they did last year. And if their goaltending is solid, I think they'll be solid defensively.

I think they'll finish in the 3-5 range in the WCHA and be a 3-4 seed in the tournament.

I hope I'm wrong though
                            Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              What 4 teams do you see finishing ahead of Wisconsin in the WCHA? After Minnesota and North Dakota, any other contender in the WCHA is littered with question marks. Wisconsin returns 85 goals, which is more than SCSU and Denver, and the same as Nebraska-Omaha (of the teams that should compete for the 3-4 spots). Rumpel played well in net down the stretch for the Badgers, and Wisconsin's goalie situation is better than UNO's and at the very least even with SCSU's, while Denver perhaps has the best goaltending situation in the league for next season. As for the blueline, only SCSU has a slightly better defensive group heading into next season than Wisconsin. Given that, I would say that Wisconsin is probably a top-4 team, especially when you factor in the kids that they have coming in next season.
                              Minnesota, North Dakota, SCSU and Denver.

Denver is usually littered with question marks due to their top players leaving after one or two years, but after last year I am not going to predict them for lower than a top 4 finish until they actually finish a year outside of the top 4. That hasn't happened in at least 10 years.

I don't believe SCSU is littered with question marks. Wisconsin may return 85 goals, but 20 of their goals last year came in 4 games against Mercyhurst and RIT. Their number of goals in conference play, which I believe is a more accurate comparison, was 76 for UW to 86 for SCSU. UW loses Schultz, we lose Festler, Eddy, and Novak (Reid and Macmillan left halfway through last season). We get back Leblanc, who scored 39 points in 10-11. I haven't seen Rumpel play outside of the series' against SCSU and Minnesota. He played well the last weekend against Minnesota and did not look good against SCSU. He may be better than Faragher, but not by much. Their save percentages are pretty similar. SCSU lost one inconsequential player (Zabkowicz) from their D-core last year. UW lost Justin Schultz. UW gave up 83 goals in conference play vs. 74 for SCSU. So I think SCSU will have more than a slightly better defense than UW.

So there is my 4. I think people are overrating UNO and UW for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                bs.
                                watch the game.
                                watch when Todd Jackson was NEAR Hauser and watch what Piotrowski was watching.
                                you can say bs all you want.

I suppose the soviets won in '72?

Comment

Working...
                                X