PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2012-2013 Season Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

hab
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
I think that is the point we should be happy with the result, but the performance in attaining the result was not so good.

Understood. You saw those two games and I didn't. Hope the team can deal with the long holiday layoff and come back in shape to meet both of our expectations, and more importantly, their own.

FlagDUDE08
12-11-2012, 02:20 PM
I think that is the point we should be happy with the result, but the performance in attaining the result was not so good.

At the end of the day, they don't ask how, they ask how many. Are there still some process issues and maybe we got lucky twice? Perhaps. Are we inclined to focus on the negative after the pessimistic mood we've experienced in the past year or so? Certainly. When we look back on the game, with glaring exceptions, we don't see how, we see how many.

OnMAA
12-11-2012, 03:16 PM

Well you win some that you may not deserve to win and you lose some that you deserve to win.

Key to success in the playoff race last year was head to head records against common foes in the same race. Last year Brown had winning records against RPI, Union and Colgate, and that ended up being the difference.

So far this year RPI is looking real good in that comparison with wins over Yale, Brown and Princeton. Last year they did not fare that well in the same comparison.

Lets look at the records in between the teams that figure to be in the playoff race for the 7th and 8th spot

Team.......W-L-T n Pts
RPI...........3-1-0 6 pts
Brown......2-1-0 4 pts
Princeton..1-1-1 3 pts
Yale.........1-1-1 3 pts
Union.......0-2-2 2 pts
Colgate.....0-2-1 1 pt

Still early and lots of games to be played, but right now the Engineers are the best of the lot in games amongst the teams ranked 7-12.

Stat Man
12-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Well you win some that you may not deserve to win and you lose some that you deserve to win.

Key to success in the playoff race last year was head to head records against common foes in the same race. Last year Brown had winning records against RPI, Union and Colgate, and that ended up being the difference.

So far this year RPI is looking real good in that comparison with wins over Yale, Brown and Princeton. Last year they did not fare that well in the same comparison.

Lets look at the records in between the teams that figure to be in the playoff race for the 7th and 8th spot

Team.......W-L-T n Pts
RPI...........3-1-0 6 pts
Brown......2-1-0 4 pts
Princeton..1-1-1 3 pts
Yale.........1-1-1 3 pts
Union.......0-2-2 2 pts
Colgate.....0-2-1 1 pt

Still early and lots of games to be played, but right now the Engineers are the best of the lot in games amongst the teams ranked 7-12.

If these were the only games that mattered in the standings I would agree, but you also have to play the top 6 teams. Against top 6 teams Colgate leads the way with 3 points and union has 1 point, Yale, Princeton,RPI and Brown have yet to get a point against a top 6 team.

There are still 6 games left against teams 7 to 12 but a sweep of these may be required to get into the playoffs and we have already lost to Union once.

Ralph Baer
12-12-2012, 08:05 AM
There are still 6 games left against teams 7 to 12 but a sweep of these may be required to get into the playoffs and we have already lost to Union once. The loss to Union was in a nonconference game. The two conference games have yet to be played.

OnMAA
12-12-2012, 08:37 AM
...... we have already lost to Union once.

The loss in the RPI 3-1 record was against Princeton. The ECAC Union games have yet to be played.

burgie12
12-12-2012, 08:42 AM
If these were the only games that mattered in the standings I would agree, but you also have to play the top 6 teams. Against top 6 teams Colgate leads the way with 3 points and union has 1 point, Yale, Princeton,RPI and Brown have yet to get a point against a top 6 team.
Last season, RPI took three points against teams in the Top 7 (Princeton was good enough last year where it was the Bottom 5, not the Bottom 6), while Brown only took one. Yet, it was the Lady Bears that ended up in the playoffs, not the Engineers. It's because Brown won every series against the other teams fighting for that last playoff spot.

RPI will have to do something similar this year and they're certainly off to a good start to that this season (a split against Princeton is not a bad result), but they will need to be able to keep their head up through four straight (league) games against Harvard and Dartmouth and then get back on track with three straight winnable games against Union and Colgate. If they can take five points there, they won't be able to put on cruise control, but they should definitely be in the driver's seat to get one of those last two spots.

OnMAA

While those points matter, recent history suggests, the head to head match-ups are much more important. Last year for example, of the four teams fighting for the 8th and last playoff spot (RPI, Union, Brown and Colgate), RPI had the most points vs teams in the top 7, but it did them no good, as Brown won the head to head against every team in that lot, and thus ended up gaining the final spot. It's 4 point games vs 2 point games. RPI's wins vs Yale and Brown last week is like having 8 points in the bank. I'm willing to bet, that if they end up winning every head to head matchup over the other teams in the fight, they will make the playoffs, irregardless on how those other teams do against the top 6.

lugnut92
I have been making projected standings for the women's ECAC (just like the men) all season and since our likelihood of playoff contention is coming up, I figured I could post them.

Projected Final Standings
1. Harvard (39)
2. Clarkson (35.9)
3. Cornell (35.6)
4. Quinnipiac (29)

5. St. Lawrence (27)
6. Dartmouth (24)
7. Princeton (15)
8. RPI (14)
=====
9. Colgate (13)
10. Brown (11.4)
11. Union (10.6)
12. Yale (9)

This is all based on KRACH and you can find a better explanation on the thread on the Men's board. In any case, it shows our women being in at the moment, but just barely. We're expected to take only 29% of our remaining points, which is third of the bottom six teams. If we could steal a game or two against a top-six team, even going .500 the rest of the way against the bottom six would probably get us into the playoffs (assuming everyone else performs as expected).

Ralph Baer
12-23-2012, 01:11 PM
I hadn't checked the directory in a while

Name: Hannah K. Behounek
Class:
Curriculum: Undeclared Science

Name: Laura Elizabeth Horwood
Class:
Curriculum: Biology

Name: Katherine Joy Rooney
Class:
Curriculum: Undeclared

turk181
12-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Jordan Smelker invited to US National Women's Camp.....http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/2012/dec/22/burke-chu-smelker-invited-to-usa-hockey-national-t/

hab
01-01-2013, 06:09 PM
This weekend will be a good home ice test for this year's Engineers squad. In past years RPI has had some good weekends against the Dartmouth / Harvard travelling combo and this year it would be huge to come up with some points against these two teams in the tight fight for the ECAC playoffs. If this team wants to send a message that they will not only MAKE the playoffs but be capable of doing some damage once they get there, this is the time to do it. I look for RPI to come up with at least 2 points.

Stat Man
01-02-2013, 06:57 AM
This weekend will be a good home ice test for this year's Engineers squad. In past years RPI has had some good weekends against the Dartmouth / Harvard travelling combo and this year it would be huge to come up with some points against these two teams in the tight fight for the ECAC playoffs. If this team wants to send a message that they will not only MAKE the playoffs but be capable of doing some damage once they get there, this is the time to do it. I look for RPI to come up with at least 2 points.

I don't see any points coming our way from Harvard so to get two points we would have to beat Dartmouth. They have been under performing in the first half of the season so that could be possible. Cox is out of the lineup for at least the next two weekends.

jericho
01-04-2013, 08:43 AM
I'll bring you the game against Harvard tomorrow on WRPI.

Stat Man
01-04-2013, 09:25 AM
I'll bring you the game against Harvard tomorrow on WRPI.

Thanks much appreciated.

hab
01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
I don't believe that there is any audio or video available for tonight's Dartmouth game, but if anyone knows of any, please pass it along. Otherwise, I'll just have to check livestats while watching the RPI men take care of BU.

GRussinko
01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
I don't believe that there is any audio or video available for tonight's Dartmouth game, but if anyone knows of any, please pass it along. Otherwise, I'll just have to check livestats while watching the RPI men take care of BU.

No audio or video that I'm aware of, though I'm tweeting live from HFH for WaP.

Good first period for RPI, Dartmouth didn't have a shot on goal until the 16th minute of the game. Surprising amount of intensity considering it's the first game back after a long layoff. Two needless penalties for RPI already, PK has looked good but they still need to work on the stupid penalties.

RKarger
01-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Great win for RPI today, going to be important in the chase for a playoff spot. Now to take on a fantastic Harvard team. GO RED!

hab
01-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Great win for RPI today, going to be important in the chase for a playoff spot. Now to take on a fantastic Harvard team. GO RED!

Moves us into 6th place, and yes it was a huge win, as I expect that Dartmouth, Princeton, RPI and Colgate may be fighting for the last 3 playoff spots.

hab
01-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Great weekend for the Engineers: a win over Dartmouth and a one-goal loss to Harvard.