Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by Stat Man View Post
    ...... we have already lost to Union once.
    The loss in the RPI 3-1 record was against Princeton. The ECAC Union games have yet to be played.

Comment

If these were the only games that mattered in the standings I would agree, but you also have to play the top 6 teams. Against top 6 teams Colgate leads the way with 3 points and union has 1 point, Yale, Princeton,RPI and Brown have yet to get a point against a top 6 team.
      Last season, RPI took three points against teams in the Top 7 (Princeton was good enough last year where it was the Bottom 5, not the Bottom 6), while Brown only took one. Yet, it was the Lady Bears that ended up in the playoffs, not the Engineers. It's because Brown won every series against the other teams fighting for that last playoff spot.

RPI will have to do something similar this year and they're certainly off to a good start to that this season (a split against Princeton is not a bad result), but they will need to be able to keep their head up through four straight (league) games against Harvard and Dartmouth and then get back on track with three straight winnable games against Union and Colgate. If they can take five points there, they won't be able to put on cruise control, but they should definitely be in the driver's seat to get one of those last two spots.
      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

If these were the only games that mattered in the standings I would agree, but you also have to play the top 6 teams. Against top 6 teams Colgate leads the way with 3 points and union has 1 point, Yale, Princeton,RPI and Brown have yet to get a point against a top 6 team.
        While those points matter, recent history suggests, the head to head match-ups are much more important. Last year for example, of the four teams fighting for the 8th and last playoff spot (RPI, Union, Brown and Colgate), RPI had the most points vs teams in the top 7, but it did them no good, as Brown won the head to head against every team in that lot, and thus ended up gaining the final spot. It's 4 point games vs 2 point games. RPI's wins vs Yale and Brown last week is like having 8 points in the bank. I'm willing to bet, that if they end up winning every head to head matchup over the other teams in the fight, they will make the playoffs, irregardless on how those other teams do against the top 6.
        Last edited by OnMAA; 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I have been making projected standings for the women's ECAC (just like the men) all season and since our likelihood of playoff contention is coming up, I figured I could post them.

Projected Final Standings
          1. Harvard (39)
          2. Clarkson (35.9)
          3. Cornell (35.6)
          4. Quinnipiac (29)
          –––––
          5. St. Lawrence (27)
          6. Dartmouth (24)
          7. Princeton (15)
          8. RPI (14)
          =====
          9. Colgate (13)
          10. Brown (11.4)
          11. Union (10.6)
          12. Yale (9)

This is all based on KRACH and you can find a better explanation on the thread on the Men's board. In any case, it shows our women being in at the moment, but just barely. We're expected to take only 29% of our remaining points, which is third of the bottom six teams. If we could steal a game or two against a top-six team, even going .500 the rest of the way against the bottom six would probably get us into the playoffs (assuming everyone else performs as expected).
          Last edited by lugnut92; 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM.
          RPI Pep Band
          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I hadn't checked the directory in a while

Name: Hannah K. Behounek
            Class:
            Curriculum: Undeclared Science

Name: Laura Elizabeth Horwood
            Class:
            Curriculum: Biology

Name: Katherine Joy Rooney
            Class:
            Curriculum: Undeclared
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Jordan Smelker invited to US National Women's Camp.....http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...ey-national-t/
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

This weekend will be a good home ice test for this year's Engineers squad. In past years RPI has had some good weekends against the Dartmouth / Harvard travelling combo and this year it would be huge to come up with some points against these two teams in the tight fight for the ECAC playoffs. If this team wants to send a message that they will not only MAKE the playoffs but be capable of doing some damage once they get there, this is the time to do it. I look for RPI to come up with at least 2 points.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                  This weekend will be a good home ice test for this year's Engineers squad. In past years RPI has had some good weekends against the Dartmouth / Harvard travelling combo and this year it would be huge to come up with some points against these two teams in the tight fight for the ECAC playoffs. If this team wants to send a message that they will not only MAKE the playoffs but be capable of doing some damage once they get there, this is the time to do it. I look for RPI to come up with at least 2 points.
                  I don't see any points coming our way from Harvard so to get two points we would have to beat Dartmouth. They have been under performing in the first half of the season so that could be possible. Cox is out of the lineup for at least the next two weekends.

Comment

I'll bring you the game against Harvard tomorrow on WRPI.
                    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                      I'll bring you the game against Harvard tomorrow on WRPI.
                      Thanks much appreciated.

Comment

I don't believe that there is any audio or video available for tonight's Dartmouth game, but if anyone knows of any, please pass it along. Otherwise, I'll just have to check livestats while watching the RPI men take care of BU.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                          I don't believe that there is any audio or video available for tonight's Dartmouth game, but if anyone knows of any, please pass it along. Otherwise, I'll just have to check livestats while watching the RPI men take care of BU.
                          No audio or video that I'm aware of, though I'm tweeting live from HFH for WaP.

Good first period for RPI, Dartmouth didn't have a shot on goal until the 16th minute of the game. Surprising amount of intensity considering it's the first game back after a long layoff. Two needless penalties for RPI already, PK has looked good but they still need to work on the stupid penalties.
                          APBWiki

Comment

Great win for RPI today, going to be important in the chase for a playoff spot. Now to take on a fantastic Harvard team. GO RED!

Comment

Originally posted by RKarger View Post
                              Great win for RPI today, going to be important in the chase for a playoff spot. Now to take on a fantastic Harvard team. GO RED!
                              Moves us into 6th place, and yes it was a huge win, as I expect that Dartmouth, Princeton, RPI and Colgate may be fighting for the last 3 playoff spots.

Comment

Great weekend for the Engineers: a win over Dartmouth and a one-goal loss to Harvard.

Comment

Working...
                                X