Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Division 1 Commitments 2014-15

Originally posted by FireInTheHeart View Post
    I know Alev and her mom, and they are both lovely people (and no, I'm not the friend that notified her of this thread). Please don't make such personal comments about parents, players, etc. or assume you know the "score" when you clearly don't. It adds nothing positive to the discussions, and ultimately makes the person writing those nasty comments look pretty dumb. Never forget that these are still young women you are discussing, the vast majority of whom are kind, fun, interesting, unique, caring, and dedicated in "real life." NONE of them are playing D1 without an incredible amount of hard work and effort. If a young woman is able to not only play hockey at this high level, but also handle the demanding course work that comes with attending an Ivy school, hats off to them and much luck on their journey.
    A very fine post!
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      A very fine post!
      It would be if it had anything to do with the original post, which in fact didn't make any negative comments about the player. There were no personal comments about anyone. So it's actually pretty ****ed clueless.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        I'm really hoping that the italicized players who are not coming are due to admissions. Because if it is anything like what we have seen recently with commits bailing on Harvard to go elsewhere (including other Ivies), I'm not going to be a happy camper. I really wish Harvard would start poaching some other school's recruits to see how they like getting their commits pulled out from under their noses. Hurts doesn't it?
        Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
        Historically, at the Ivies at this point in the process (Junior year Winter or earlier), the kids are asked for their academics (test scores and grades) and their chance of admission is assessed by the coaching staff, who are likely to be biased towards giving the thumbs up for someone they want. The admissions departments don't get involved until Summer at the earliest and the Likely Letters go out in the Fall (the real admission assessment). The coaches are making admissions assessments and commitments based on experience in absence of formal admissions review.

IMHO, that is deceptive. While coaches at any school will usually tell recruits that admission is dependent on continued academic performance, the assumption is that if a coach tells you you can get in that you can if you continue to perform at the same level. At schools like BU, BC, UM, etc. the admissions team will review academics earlier than the Ivies and make actual admissions commitments (again based on continued performance). But at the Ivies, the coaches commit without any review from admissions. Sometimes, even well-intentioned coaches get it wrong at an Ivy because the admissions committee changes their emphasis or requirements from previous years. Clearly, at Harvard (at least as reported by others on this forum), that is leading to 1 or 2 "failed admission" commitments per year.

Be very interested to hear from any others with recent experiences with Princeton, Harvard, or other Ivies that suggest the admissions committee is reviewing players academics prior to the summer (I think, but can't definitively state, that there may even be a league rule against this).
        Love a good Ivies catfight

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
          It would be if it had anything to do with the original post, which in fact didn't make any negative comments about the player. There were no personal comments about anyone. So it's actually pretty ****ed clueless.
          Myself I believe it contains some worthwhile points and thoughts that apply to posts made on a semi regular basis. Posts seen from time to time in commitment threads, threads pertaining to selections to national camps, teams and a few threads with announcements of various meritorious player recognitions etc. Clueless? I think not personally.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            I'm really hoping that the italicized players who are not coming are due to admissions. Because if it is anything like what we have seen recently with commits bailing on Harvard to go elsewhere (including other Ivies), I'm not going to be a happy camper. I really wish Harvard would start poaching some other school's recruits to see how they like getting their commits pulled out from under their noses. Hurts doesn't it?
            I have heard that the two were admissions related but that is often just cover for the coach pulling support. It is interesting that you feel that women hockey players are bailing on Harvard after committing - I have no knowledge of that occurring in the last 3 years. The other way around in fact....

Comment

Minnesota State
              Amanda Martin.........F...........(NAHA)...............Pe oria, Arizona

Comment

Molly Blasen will be headed to Mercyhurst. She is from Okemos MI and plays for Honey Baked. She is a D.
                "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Molly Blasen will graduate in 2015; so she would be listed under 2015-16 commits

Comment

• Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
                    Molly Blasen will graduate in 2015; so she would be listed under 2015-16 commits
                    Another commit for2015- 2016 is rumored to be Jincy Dunne to Ohio State

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeysbest View Post
                      Another commit for2015- 2016 is rumored to be Jincy Dunne to Ohio State
                      Well, let's see, that means the rumor mill has now churned out Minnesota, Harvard, Wisconsin, BC and Ohio State as the landing spot for Miss Dunne.

Comment

From social media
                        Yale

Emily Monaghan ....................... F .................... (Edge Mountaineers) ..................... Calgary, AB

Comment

Re. Ivies -- for what it's worth, our family was in communication with Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, and Dartmouth. I would say Yale, Princeton, Cornell, and Dartmouth were quite honest about the academics needed for admission. Harvard's issue: they broadcast the most glowing recruiting emails one could imagine, practically begging for the opportunity to coach our daughter, and have her wear the vaunted crimson jersey. We soon learned that they sent those emails to every high-level player my daughter knew. So I don't know if they are honest about academics, but we felt their recruiting style was a crock of BeanS.

Comment

Clarkson

Amanda Titus.......................F ...................... Ottawa Jr Senators(PWHL) ..............................Stittsville, Ont

Comment

Originally posted by AggiesHockey View Post
                              Re. Ivies -- for what it's worth, our family was in communication with Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, and Dartmouth. I would say Yale, Princeton, Cornell, and Dartmouth were quite honest about the academics needed for admission. Harvard's issue: they broadcast the most glowing recruiting emails one could imagine, practically begging for the opportunity to coach our daughter, and have her wear the vaunted crimson jersey. We soon learned that they sent those emails to every high-level player my daughter knew. So I don't know if they are honest about academics, but we felt their recruiting style was a crock of BeanS.
                              Notorious over recruiters...not that they are alone in that department.
                              Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

From Twitter, for now - 2014-15 Penn State commitments:

Caitlyn Reilly, F, Benilde-St. Margaret's, MN
                                Bella Sutton, D, Mounds View, MN

Comment

Working...
                                X