Trickle down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trickle down?

NHL hockey is marked by protracted scrums along the boards and behind the net. The referee loses sight of the puck for five or ten seconds in a maze of skates, legs, and bodies but allows teams to "play on," if that's what you call such a pushin' and wrasslin' match. This phenomenon has changed defensive and offensive strategies by minimizing speed and skill in favor of brute force. [On the flip side a whistle halts play around the crease if the referee loses sight of the puck for a millisecond or even thinks about blowing his whistle.]
    What's this have to do with college hockey? That's my concern. What will it have to do with college hockey? Will this style of refereeing trickle down to college hockey so that drawn out six-man scrums along the boards erode the importance of skating and passing?

Re: Trickle down?

and thats why big ice is naturally superior for quality hockey.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      and thats why big ice is naturally superior for quality hockey.
      Bandy sized ice! Hooray!

I prefer the large ice too but...since so many college players are planning (or hoping) on playing in the NHL I reluctantly accept that ice size and many NHL rules will be pushed down to college. That includes the inevitable shoot outs too as gross as that sounds.
      Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
      Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

Tolerance on the part of officials for the mob/scrum style of play is very much exaggerated in the playoffs relative to regular season games, IMHO. I, personally, don't view this as inherently good or bad; it simply is the way it has been done for so long it is not going to change. Quick whistles along the boards might make for more active play, as faceoffs create situations of imbalance and that is where skill and speed can take over. I am not, however, optimistic that at the NHL level we will see change though. That said, I don't anticipate it will filter down to college hockey to any significant extent, though that is not to say refereeing at the college level doesn't have its issues (and significant issues they are).
        Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

In hockey I much prefer speed and skill to pushing and grappling. For that I will watch sumo wrestling, which is the ultimate pushing and grappling sport. Pushing and grappling and of course fighting has always appealed to a certain type of so-called "hockey fan" and sold a lot of tickets. The rise of the UFC has pulled a lot of these fans away from hockey.
          I agree with gopheritall. Olympic/international sized ice surfaces promote skill, speed, agility and strategy in hockey, to the benefit of the game. I haven't checked, but I fear all the new college rinks under construction will feature NHL-sized rinks. This will speed the departure of early departues but will ultimately degrade the appeal of both "amateur" and professional hockey in the U.S..
          Last edited by Osorojo; 05-15-2012, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
            In hockey I much prefer speed and skill to pushing and grappling. For that I will watch sumo wrestling, which is the ultimate pushing and grappling sport. Pushing and grappling and of course fighting has always appealed to a certain type of so-called "hockey fan" and sold a lot of tickets. The rise of the UFC has pulled a lot of these fans away from hockey.
            I agree with gopheritall. Olympic/international sized ice surfaces promote skill, speed, agility and strategy in hockey, to the benefit of the game. I haven't checked, but I fear all the new college rinks under construction will feature NHL-sized rinks. This will speed the departure of early departues but will ultimately degarde the appeal of both "amateur" and professional hockey in the U.S..
            I would have thought you'd prefer clutch, grab, and dive.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Bears don't dive gracefully... Clutch and grab sure... but dive. No sir.
              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                DUDEO: That kind of stuff is pretty much confined to fans from the Three Rivers area and cheezy lovers of wildlife.
                Last edited by Osorojo; 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Why would the size of the rink increase the amount of early departures. The bulk of the programs that have this problem already have this.
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by gopheritall View Post
                    Bandy sized ice! Hooray!

I prefer the large ice too but...since so many college players are planning (or hoping) on playing in the NHL I reluctantly accept that ice size and many NHL rules will be pushed down to college. That includes the inevitable shoot outs too as gross as that sounds.
                    I like bandy
                    SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                    UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                    Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                    Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                    UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                    UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      Why would the size of the rink increase the amount of early departures. The bulk of the programs that have this problem already have this.
                      He said it would speed the departure of early departures, which would mean reduce early departures, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        He said it would speed the departure of early departures, which would mean reduce early departures, wouldn't it?
                        Come on burd...NHL rinks are 15 feet narrower, so an early departure doesn't have to skate that extra 15 feet to depart, so that means that they will depart quicker (by 15 feet). It's not rocket science
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Nah. The smaller ice surface quickly accustoms top scholarship recruits to NHL-style shove-and-grapple hockey, meaning they can depart at or before the end of their freshman year [rather than their sophomore year] and a new class of one-and-done wonders can be recruited, trained, and depart the next year. That's clearly how trickle-down NHL rules, NHL enforcement, and NHL venue size will speed individual early departures and the overall early departure rate from college hockey. Don't play dumb unless you have no other option.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                            Nah. The smaller ice surface quickly accustoms top scholarship recruits to NHL-style shove-and-grapple hockey, meaning they can depart at or before the end of their freshman year [rather than their sophomore year] and a new class of one-and-done wonders can be recruited, trained, and depart the next year. That's clearly how trickle-down NHL rules, NHL enforcement, and NHL venue size will speed individual early departures and the overall early departure rate from college hockey. Don't play dumb unless you have no other option.
                            FS23, over the last 5 or 6 years how many UND players have moved on after one year compared to UMinn and UW, both of which are big sheet teams?

Oh, and thanks for explaining the whole 15 feet deal--I feel so stupid not to have seen that.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              FS23, over the last 5 or 6 years how many UND players have moved on after one year compared to UMinn and UW, both of which are big sheet teams?

Oh, and thanks for explaining the whole 15 feet deal--I feel so stupid not to have seen that.
                              UND has had 0 one and done's (very few 2 and done's) in the last 6 years.
                              Minnesota has had 2 that I can think of (Kessell and E. Johnson). Okposo played 1.5 years.
                              Wisconsin has had 1 that I can think of (Turris).
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X