Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Off-Season Thread 2012 Part II: (Insert Title Here)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2012 Part II: (Insert Title Here)

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Exactly FDude. In Blue Mountain Lake we just usually take the Saranac temperature and subtract 5 (and add about 6 inches of snow to their total). Oh, and add a little speed to the wind whipping off the lake. But that is only in the winter-which lasts from October through May.
    What, never seen snow in June, July, or September?

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      There was a low temp of 37 degrees in SL the other night...
      I believe that. I think it was about 14C (which is about 57F) in Syracuse that night. I remember the day of my Chem final, -2F in Troy, -9F where I grew up, -22F in Saranac Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        We were up there one September (around the 9th of the month) and got snowed in with a storm that dropped 8 inches locally. But that was more than 25 years ago and winters have been much milder and starting much later now. Also saw snow on the mountain above us in June one year but we are at 2100 feet and the mountain goes up another 1600+ and we had nothing on the ground at the house. We have had a frost in both June and September however.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

We were up there one September (around the 9th of the month) and got snowed in with a storm that dropped 8 inches locally. But that was more than 25 years ago and winters have been much milder and starting much later now. Also saw snow on the mountain above us in June one year but we are at 2100 feet and the mountain goes up another 1600+ and we had nothing on the ground at the house. We have had a frost in both June and September however.
          I enjoyed my years in Chestertown, Hague and North Creek, '94-'98. Periodically I got to Indian Lake, BLM and Speculator. From time to time, I could get the SLU game on fm (barely) while driving around IL & BML. But the only reason to listen was when they were playing the Engineers. As I recall, SLUs broadcast team featured not squelch or screech... their broadcast sounded kinda whiny. Must have been the transmitter.
          Here we come!

Comment

FlagDUDE: 'What, never seen snow in June, July or September?'

I saw flurries and hail in a storm on Route 8 just west of North Pond on the first Sunday of July driving from Hague back to Chestertown... it was about 10:30 am on my first weekend in northern Warren County.
            Here we come!

Comment

Today is 1 August 2012. There are 66 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I was just going through some players twitter posts, it's apparently less than two weeks until the players arrive at RPI http://twitter.com/zschroeder07.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

When we lived in Wyoming, there was a joke about that.....

"some people think it's almost always cold and snowy here, but that's not the case. We have four seasons, just like everywhere else, it's just that we have different names for them here:
                  > almost winter
                  > winter
                  > still winter
                  > the 4th of july"

Seriously, though, summers in Wyoming were idyllic. No humidity, in the 70s or 80s during the day, 50s or 60s in the evening, and since it is on the very western edge of the mountain time zone, daylight lasted until around 9:30 during the height of summer.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    When we lived in Wyoming, there was a joke about that.....

"some people think it's almost always cold and snowy here, but that's not the case. We have four seasons, just like everywhere else, it's just that we have different names for them here:
                    > almost winter
                    > winter
                    > still winter
                    > the 4th of july"

Seriously, though, summers in Wyoming were idyllic. No humidity, in the 70s or 80s during the day, 50s or 60s in the evening, and since it is on the very western edge of the mountain time zone, daylight lasted until around 9:30 during the height of summer.
                    In Upstate NY (my definition, aka Albany is NOT upstate), there are four seasons: Winter, Almost winter, Getting ready for winter, and August.

Comment

In Upstate NY (my definition, aka Albany is NOT upstate), there are four seasons: Winter, Almost winter, Getting ready for winter, and August.
                      There are only two seasons in the Adirondacks: Winter and a few weeks of bad skating.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Paddy Cullen signs with Carolina Stingrays. Attaboy. Yeah, yeah alumni thread blah, blah, blah....

Story with audio: http://www.stingrayshockey.com/news/...rticle_id=2185
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Paddy Cullen signs with Carolina Stingrays. Attaboy. Yeah, yeah alumni thread blah, blah, blah....

Story with audio: http://www.stingrayshockey.com/news/...rticle_id=2185
                          New team isn't there yet; it's still OK.

Comment

There are only two seasons in the Adirondacks: Winter and a few weeks of bad skating.
                            Wicked-Some real winter tidbits from BML. Jen and i once went to dinner at the Stillwater Inn (not far from Old Forge) and the air temp was -51-coldest i have ever been in. Experienced a temp of -38 in BML with sustained winds of 40mph (have no clue what the wind chill must have been). And the topper-March 12-15th 1993 got snowed in while attending the RPI/Colgate playoff series in Troy-but was commuting back and forth from BML where we got a total of 103 inches of the white stuff in a little over 40 hours. You have it absolutely correct-there are only 2 seasons up there-winter and that one day in either July or August which is not winter.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Wicked-Some real winter tidbits from BML. Jen and i once went to dinner at the Stillwater Inn (not far from Old Forge) and the air temp was -51-coldest i have ever been in. Experienced a temp of -38 in BML with sustained winds of 40mph (have no clue what the wind chill must have been). And the topper-March 12-15th 1993 got snowed in while attending the RPI/Colgate playoff series in Troy-but was commuting back and forth from BML where we got a total of 103 inches of the white stuff in a little over 40 hours. You have it absolutely correct-there are only 2 seasons up there-winter and that one day in either July or August which is not winter.
                              What is BML?
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I remember that blizzard. I think I still have a weather short on it from Gib Brown (weekend meteorologist on WPTZ).

For RFAlph: BML = Blue Mountain Lake.

Comment

Working...
                                X