Atlantic Hockey Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Hockey Future

With the pending deaprture of UConn to HE, what does the future hold for AHA?

-Stay at 11 teams? Awkward scheduling and unevenly numbered "pods" (can we just call them East and West Divisions, please) make this less palatable, IMO.

-UAH? They are certainly in need of a conference home, and would be reunited with many of their former CHA bretheren. However, given the cost containment wishes of many members, not sure they would be too excited about adding yet another required road trip to the conference schedule (even if it is just bi-annual).

-Navy? They have been seemeingly perpetually rumoured to be moving their hockey program up to varsity status. I understand they have a suitable on-campus venue, strong following, and would be a fantastic fit with Army and AFA. My personal choice.

-_______ upgrading to varsity status? There is a never ending list of club programs that could upgrade, but aside from idle speculation and "_____ would be a great addition", I know of no one giving it serios consideration.

Discuss.
    Bentley University Hockey
    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Re: Atlantic Hockey Future

Navy has been rumored for a long time. Until I hear anything official from them, I don't consider them a factor. It wouild be great for the league if they would join, but if it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it will happen.

The cost containment factor is going to be interesting. Does the league stay at 11, or do they add UAH. UAH would improve greatly should they get into ANY league. So, I don't think they would be an anchor. I believe the former CHA members and at least RIT would vote them in. Having 11 teams causes a little scheduling issue - particularly out East where they have 1 less team. If they add UAH, do they make them an "East" team, or move a "West" team. I can't see a way that UAH gets accepted if they are an "East" team. RIT is the most "East" of the "West teams". Do the eastern teams want that?

As an RIT fan, I would prefer the 11 games since it means more non-conference opportunities. As a fan of college hockey, I would love to see UAH get a home, and if it is the AHA, I think it would be a good thing.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

UAH (from what I've seen on here) desparately wants to be the 10th nWCHA team. They'd be back with Bemidji, and I think actually end up with LESS travel (??). They would have one flight series (To Colorado or Alaska) either way. They could bus to any of the other WCHA schools (as they have before), wheras they'd almost have to fly for those three trips to the East Division AHA schools.

Navy is probably the better bet. All three D-I Service Academies in one conference, with Army and Navy in the same division (I would assume). Gee, I wonder who would play each other the last weeked of the regular season every year???

That said, College Hockey is 'stuck' once more. AHA would be at 12 (with Navy or any other program), Hockey East at 12, ECAC at 12, NCHC at 8, WCHA at 10, and the Big Ten with 6 and only able/willing to take another B1G school.

How can the sport grow and expand, when there is no where to play?? Unless Tulsa, Marshall, East Carolina, Tulane, UT-San Antonio, and UTEP all decided to make Conference-USA Hockey a reality... (Yeah, I thought it'd be fun to go off the beaten path for once )
      Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

I think the AHA dropping to 11 teams could move Navy to upgrade their program. I think they stay at 11 or get Navy.I don't see UAH as being attractive to the other schools.

Comment

Meh. I still want out of AHA and wouldn't mind seeing it drop to 10 teams
          RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Spydey629 View Post
            UAH (from what I've seen on here) desparately wants to be the 10th nWCHA team. They'd be back with Bemidji, and I think actually end up with LESS travel (??). They would have one flight series (To Colorado or Alaska) either way. They could bus to any of the other WCHA schools (as they have before), wheras they'd almost have to fly for those three trips to the East Division AHA schools.
            The numbers I've looked at say that the average distance between Huntsville and the other nWCHA teams without Alaska is slightly less than the average between Huntsville and the AHA schools (including Air Force). But you can't ignore Alaska: A yearly trip to Anchorage and/or Fairbanks is going to bump the travel.

The WCHA has been UAH's primary target. As I understand it, Atlantic wasn't interested in UAH back in 2009 when we were trying to get into the CCHA. With UConn getting closer to moving, attitudes have apparently changed.

Personally, I'm not picky. The school isn't either: Our A.D. has said UAH will go with whichever conference presents an offer.

Navy is probably the better bet. All three D-I Service Academies in one conference, with Army and Navy in the same division (I would assume). Gee, I wonder who would play each other the last weeked of the regular season every year???
            I disagree. I totally understand that Atlantic Hockey would prefer Navy over UAH, but your betting that Navy will crank up the funds to start a Division I program first. With no evidence that Navy's going to do that, UAH is the better bet.
            Michael Napier - UAH '97
            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
            U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
            NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
            CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
            CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
              Personally, I'm not picky. The school isn't either: Our A.D. has said UAH will go with whichever conference presents an offer.
              Believe me, I'm not either. I just want to see you guys land somewhere. Bobby Mo and UAH had developed a pretty good rivalry by the end of the CHA days, and I for one would certainly not complain if those hostilities were renewed.
              Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

How would UAH feel about the scholarship limit with AHA?

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                  If they add UAH, do they make them an "East" team, or move a "West" team. I can't see a way that UAH gets accepted if they are an "East" team. RIT is the most "East" of the "West teams". Do the eastern teams want that?
                  No, I imagine they don't.
                  I wonder if they would consider making AFA an Eastern team? When it comes to travel , There's really not a lot of difference for them travel to Eastern PA, Western NY, or New England, right? In the NCAA's mode of thinking, "A flight is a flight". Yeah, some of the flights may be 30-60 minutes longer, but big deal.

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                  As an RIT fan, I would prefer the 11 games since it means more non-conference opportunities.
                  Not necessarily. It depends what kind of scheduling they come up with. I would assume it won't be the same as it is now, but with this league who knows what they might come up with?
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    I wonder if they would consider making AFA an Eastern team? When it comes to travel , There's really not a lot of difference for them travel to Eastern PA, Western NY, or New England, right? In the NCAA's mode of thinking, "A flight is a flight". Yeah, some of the flights may be 30-60 minutes longer, but big deal.
                    It also helps that flights aren't necessarily more expensive the further you go (by which I mean, with the same close-to-linear correlation that bus travel has), which makes 'a flight is a flight' a somewhat useful principle. Yes, fuel costs are a factor, and longer flights do expend more fuel, but other factors can also have an impact (where the flight starts and ends, for instance).

That said, College Hockey is 'stuck' once more. AHA would be at 12 (with Navy or any other program), Hockey East at 12, ECAC at 12, NCHC at 8, WCHA at 10, and the Big Ten with 6 and only able/willing to take another B1G school.

How can the sport grow and expand, when there is no where to play?? Unless Tulsa, Marshall, East Carolina, Tulane, UT-San Antonio, and UTEP all decided to make Conference-USA Hockey a reality... (Yeah, I thought it'd be fun to go off the beaten path for once )
                    You've answered your own question. But, that's less because hockey will have no room to expand, and more because there really isn't the interest from teams to add hockey as a varsity sport.
                    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                      How would UAH feel about the scholarship limit with AHA?
                      I don't know officially, but since we can't be picky, I would look at it as 12 is still greater than zero. And it would help the costs side of the budget.

I think we'd still like to be able to give more than 12 scholarships, but we'd surely accept the limit if it means we keep playing.
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                        I totally understand that Atlantic Hockey would prefer Navy over UAH, but your betting that Navy will crank up the funds to start a Division I program first. With no evidence that Navy's going to do that, UAH is the better bet.
                        With due respect, I'm confident that if the league decides to wait for Navy, it will be because Navy is going to start a program, whether we (as fans) know it or not.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                          With the pending deaprture of UConn to HE, what does the future hold for AHA?

-Stay at 11 teams? Awkward scheduling and unevenly numbered "pods" (can we just call them East and West Divisions, please) make this less palatable, IMO.

-UAH? They are certainly in need of a conference home, and would be reunited with many of their former CHA bretheren. However, given the cost containment wishes of many members, not sure they would be too excited about adding yet another required road trip to the conference schedule (even if it is just bi-annual).

-Navy? They have been seemeingly perpetually rumoured to be moving their hockey program up to varsity status. I understand they have a suitable on-campus venue, strong following, and would be a fantastic fit with Army and AFA. My personal choice.

-_______ upgrading to varsity status? There is a never ending list of club programs that could upgrade, but aside from idle speculation and "_____ would be a great addition", I know of no one giving it serios consideration.

Discuss.
                          I think UAH is the most likely alternative. Of ocurse that would likely require somebody to move to the east to replace UCONN...Over the years I have heard that the occassional D2 school might consider moving up, Stonehill was mentioned a few years ago, as was Assumption, and either one would be a better geographic fit, but I haven't heard them mentioned recently. Not sure either one would be considered "a great addition" either. it might be the point where Navy needs to decide it wants to be in or it might be forever out, too.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                            Considering part of the deal to have Air Force was that they only play Army 2 times a season, they won't make them an East Team.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I know the football trophy is the Commander in Chief's Trophy, but does anyone know if the academies have sport-specific trophies in other sports? A hockey-specific trophy if Navy were to go varsity would be fun to follow.

I'd like to be the first to recommend that Coast Guard join the conference as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X