Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atlantic Hockey Future

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
    For what it's worth, the information given in the Stafford consulting report a few months ago said that UConn was planning to phase in scholarships over three years, six a year, starting with the 2012-13 season. Their first year at 18 scholarships will be 2014-15.
    From what I've read and heard, UConn plans to upgrade/replace Freitas Forum in the near future as part of the deal, too. this isn't some short term "let's see if it works out" committment. This is a long term move. And as far as UCONN being BC and UMass's "petulant little brother", I think that is a bit off the mark when you consider that the Huskies were in the Big East in basketball since its founding, had something like a 20 game win streak over BC, and hadn't lost to UMass in years either. Maybe in the 1970s you could have said that. Not recently. On the hockey front, UCONN has never really tried to compete with BC. they play UMass most years since going to D1 but don't often win ( I think we have 1 win and a tie). On the football side, UConn has been 1A for a decade now and has played in bowls. UMass is not in the picture right now. There is a rivalry if that's the right word for 2 teams that don't play each other with BC in part because BC resented UCONN's infringing on their turf as the only 1A program in New England, and UConn resented the way BC left the Big East.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdLiner View Post
      St. Anselm to Atlantic Hockey in 2014 New Athletic Director will lead the way!
      ... Who? lol
      RIT Tigers

Comment

Back in the old MAAC days, there was talk of St Anselm and/or Stonehill/and/or Assumption upgrading to play in the league. I'm not sure whether that is just because they are among the few D2 programs, or because they compete with Bentley and AIC in other sports or whether there was actually some interest there. It heated up for a while when Fairfield dropped out as I recall.

Comment

Honestly, if all of the D-II schools wanted to move up and operate on a cost containment structure with AHA teams... what would stop them? I can't imagine it would lose them any more money than dinking around playing D-III schedules.

(You can't pray for a payout game in Boston, or out west, with D-III opponents)
          Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I think that might have been true back in the old MAAC days, but with games in Colorado Springs, Pittsburgh, Buffalo maybe Alabama, I'm not so sure that the cost containment model is as contained, so to speak, any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
              I think that might have been true back in the old MAAC days, but with games in Colorado Springs, Pittsburgh, Buffalo maybe Alabama, I'm not so sure that the cost containment model is as contained, so to speak, any more.
              Well in that scenario, there's something like 4 or 5 D-II schools that could theoretically make the leap. Would the AHA blow up to 15-16 teams?
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Honestly, if all of the D-II schools wanted to move up and operate on a cost containment structure with AHA teams... what would stop them? I can't imagine it would lose them any more money than dinking around playing D-III schedules.

(You can't pray for a payout game in Boston, or out west, with D-III opponents)
                They don't have to move up. The NCAA permits D-II ice hockey teams to play in the D-I championship since there is no D-II championship. You could do this:

Northeast-10
                AIC
                Bentley
                St. Anselm
                St. Michaels
                Stonehill
                Assumption
                Franklin Pierce
                So. New Hampshire

At that point you have 8, which gives you an AQ and a 28 game league schedule. You could then add (over their dead bodies) NE-10 members Lowell and Merrimack for a Northeast 10.

Then if you want to get further cute, trade RIT to the ECAC for Quinnipiac. The ECAC then divides into Ivy and Empire.
                The Empire is:
                Clarkson
                SLU
                RPI
                Union
                RIT
                Colgate

Then poach Niagara and Canisius for a 8 team low cost travel conference.

This leaves AHA with
                Air Force
                Army
                Robert Morris
                Mercyhurst
                Sacred Heart
                Holy Cross
                Quinnipiac

Plenty of expansion room.

Never happen.....
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  They don't have to move up. The NCAA permits D-II ice hockey teams to play in the D-I championship since there is no D-II championship.
                  I believe he meant playing up to D1 in Hockey.
                  "My greatest achievement."
                  Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

They don't have to move up. The NCAA permits D-II ice hockey teams to play in the D-I championship since there is no D-II championship.
                    Yes, they do. The six Division II hockey programs (all in the Northeast-10) can't play in the D-I championship. They'd have to declare themselves to be Division I and play a D-I schedule.
                    Michael Napier - UAH '97
                    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Mike McMahon did tweet this yesterday:
                      https://***********/MikeMcMahonET/st...60311109021696

Have been told that some D3 schools have had preliminary discussions w/ the AHA about replacing UConn. Some intriguing names out there ...
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                        Play-ups are gone.....

The D-III school would have to move the ENTIRE athletic program to D-II and sit out a probationary period before being eligible for the AHA / NCAA postseason. Proposition 2010-100.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Yes, they do. The six Division II hockey programs (all in the Northeast-10) can't play in the D-I championship. They'd have to declare themselves to be Division I and play a D-I schedule.
                          Yes, they would still have to declare themselves DI (in men's hockey, at least, since women's is a joint DI/DII championship) and play a DI schedule (or at least have the vast majority of their schedule be DI), but the 6 DII programs, and in fact ALL DII schools, are the only ones still able to do that. Play-ups are gone, only existing teams playing up are allowed to continue doing so. The exception is in sports where a particular division does not sponsor a championship, as in the case of DII hockey, who are still permitted to play up.

Technically, the RIT women missed the deadline on this one, but were allowed to play up after significant appeal.
                          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

There are a couple DIII teams that I would love to see some up - Elmira and Utica come to mind. Norwich would be intriguing and help balance the AHA East/West again. I would not be surprised if Manhattanville had some discussion, but I don't know if I want them or what their facilities situation is since RIT left DIII.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                              There are a couple DIII teams that I would love to see some up - Elmira and Utica come to mind. Norwich would be intriguing and help balance the AHA East/West again. I would not be surprised if Manhattanville had some discussion, but I don't know if I want them or what their facilities situation is since RIT left DIII.
                              Komey -- you were the last D-III team to play-up. Proposition 2010-100 killed it. In order to play D-I, you gotta be a member of D-I, or play in a sport that does not offer a D-II championship.

Unless those 3 schools want to move the entire athletic program up to Division II and wait the requisite waiting period, it's not going to happen.

The relevant parts of 2010-100 (Passed March, 2011)

20.4.1 Multidivision Classification
                              A member of Division II or Division III may have a sport classified in Division I, provided the sport was so classified during the 2010-11 academic year. Such a classification shall continue until the institution fails to conduct the sport in Division I in any following academic year.
                              So no current D-II school (St. Anselm, for example) that is not currently playing up, may play up.

One more little tidbit to 2010-100. If you want to move up to D-I, you must be invited to play in a multisport conference. Guess how many multisport conferences there are in D-I ice hockey? Two -- The Big Ten and the Ivy League. Guess we're not getting anyone moving up anymore to D-I for the sole purpose of playing ice hockey.

However, for D-II schools, all is not lost.
                              Division I By-Law 20.8.2 has the out
                              20.8.2 Division II options when no Division II Championship is Conducted. An active member institution that holds membership in Division II is eligible to compete in the Division I championship in those sports for which no championship is conducted in Division II. The Division II institution shall declare its intention to compete by June 1. This declaration of intent shall be effective for a minimum of three years. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)

20.8.2.1 Participation in Division I Championship. To be eligible for the Division I championship in such a sport, the Division II member institution is required to meet all Division I institutional and individual eligibility requirements and may use Division I financial aid limitations in that sport as permitted under Bylaw 20.9.1.1. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)
                              Last edited by joecct; 06-23-2012, 08:36 PM.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Komey -- you were the last D-III team to play-up. Proposition 2010-100 killed it. In order to play D-I, you gotta be a member of D-I, or play in a sport that does not offer a D-II championship.

Unless those 3 schools want to move the entire athletic program up to Division II and wait the requisite waiting period, it's not going to happen.

The relevant parts of 2010-100 (Passed March, 2011)

20.4.1 Multidivision Classification

So no current D-II school (St. Anselm, for example) that is not currently playing up, may play up.

One more little tidbit to 2010-100. If you want to move up to D-I, you must be invited to play in a multisport conference. Guess how many multisport conferences there are in D-I ice hockey? Two -- The Big Ten and the Ivy League. Guess we're not getting anyone moving up anymore to D-I for the sole purpose of playing ice hockey.

However, for D-II schools, all is not lost.
                                Division I By-Law 20.8.2 has the out
                                See, you're letting cold hard facts go and ruin perfectly good idle speculation.
                                Bentley University Hockey
                                On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Working...
                                X