Things Change, But How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things Change, But How?

The reorganization of existing teams into new conferences may lead to the growth of D1 college hockey, but I'm not sure how? If college hockey doesn't grow it will become an increasingly minor and provincial sport, although this would suit some fans just fine. If you're one of them, stop here.
    I believe expanding college hockey's fan base is the critical element in the growth of college hockey. A number of things could contribute to expanding the fan base, including bigger rinks, more games, a longer season, more teams, better parking, etc. - but I believe more access to watching college hockey is the key to its growth. I believe a deliberate and concentrated effort to seek increased TV coverage of college hockey is by far the most effective initiative that the NCAA, conferences, teams, and fans can make - even if it produces no immediate financial rewards.

Re: Things Change, But How?

I think that we need to work on (as a collective whole) the trademarks and copyrights associated with college hockey. Think about it. If college hockey owned something exclusively they could exploit that revenue - regardless of conference affiliation!!!!

Comment

Oh crap, it's the offseason, isn't it... 5 more months of these stupid threads...

Comment

There should, like, totally be a video game or some crap like that.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

We need more nachos at games to grow the sport. Think about it...
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Boobies and beer!
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              We need more nachos at games to grow the sport. Think about it...
              Taken care of. There's an entire conference of nachos now.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                A number of things could contribute to expanding the fan base, including bigger rinks, more games, a longer season, more teams, better parking, etc.
                I can't believe better parking only came fifth in your list. I have been tirelessly posting for years about how the lack of parking at college hockey games is the one thing keeping it from being more popular than the Super Bowl and World Series combined.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

The reorganization of existing teams into new conferences may lead to the growth of D1 college hockey, but I'm not sure how? If college hockey doesn't grow it will become an increasingly minor and provincial sport, although this would suit some fans just fine. If you're one of them, stop here.
                  I believe expanding college hockey's fan base is the critical element in the growth of college hockey. A number of things could contribute to expanding the fan base, including bigger rinks, more games, a longer season, more teams, better parking, etc. - but I believe more access to watching college hockey is the key to its growth. I believe a deliberate and concentrated effort to seek increased TV coverage of college hockey is by far the most effective initiative that the NCAA, conferences, teams, and fans can make - even if it produces no immediate financial rewards.
                  Bigger rinks might hurt the sport in some area, if some causal hockey fan came to check out a college game and the rink was half empty wouldn't look any better than a smaller rink. Heck some schools can't fill small buildings why would they want to spend the money on bigger buildings. Lets remember too these are student athletes so more games isn't going to happen. Plus I don't know if I ever heard anyone say "I would love to be a fan of sport ____, but they just don't play enough games." More teams yeah that would be great, but for the time being lets see if we can keep the 59 we have going. Parking? Wth?

For now lets work on boobies, beer, nachos, and I would like to add fireworks.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    Taken care of. There's an entire conference of nachos now.
                    We don't know where the Nacho conference will be playing for their championchips yet, though.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Boobies and beer!
                      Regarding the boobies, teams could have those hot girls that come out and scrape the ice during breaks in play.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                        Regarding the boobies, teams could have those hot girls that come out and scrape the ice during breaks in play.
                        Can they get on and off the ice in 20 seconds?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Can they get on and off the ice in 20 seconds?
                          They can take as much time as they need if they are cute rnough.
                          Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

What do you call a fish that opens its mouth and charges around aimlessly when nobody's trolling?
                            Last edited by Osorojo; 04-27-2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

What do you call a fish that opens its mouth and charges around when nobody's trolling?
                              Bear Red.

Comment

Working...
                              X