MN Hockey - "We're So SPECIAL!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MN Hockey - "We're So SPECIAL!"

msoh - Don't let all the naysayers stand in your way, keep on fighting the good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      Gurt is right, there is no-one outside of you, jdubbs and the insane, who are going to equate an AAU title w/NCAA...

it's like this. from 1996 to 1999 a bunch of nobody's raced the INDY 500 and 1 guy had to win it each of those years... no-one remembers who won those races and when their names are brought up people smirk, scowl or just start laughing. why? because there was no competition (see: the split) and the guys in those 500 races those years were all 4th-tier drivers.

the point would be let's say Buddy Lazier thinks his INDY win puts him in a ring w/Rick Mears, Mario Andretti or Jacques Villeneuve...it doesn't cause he raced against a bunch of no-talent dip****s and every sports writer in america knows that, that's why his name is never EVER mentioned amongst great INDY winnners.

same thing here. MN won 2 AAU titles against jv teams and high school teams...great for them but not terribly relevant or significant in the long run.
      What are you talking about?
      Not a very effective analogy there if you ask me.

I think the point here is where do you draw the line before something becomes important and actually matters. Are you telling me there was quality competition in the early days of the NCAA? How did they pick the 4 teams? Why? Who got screwed that should have been included? Michigan and CC played in the first several tournaments but did CC only play because it was in their city? I don't know for sure any of those answers, do any of you? Someone decided to draw a line arbitrarily based on their opinion and that's what everyone is fighting over. It's an important part of history and I'm fine with there being a banner hanging for it. Hockey did exist before 1948 so remembering it is fine too. So feel free to get back to the 6>5 routine that you hang onto so desperately because it's all you've got.

Now anyone got an answer on where to get my campus styled spring hat? That's the real fight that should be going on.
      Last edited by Tiggsy; 05-10-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        Gurt is right, there is no-one outside of you, jdubbs and the insane, who are going to equate an AAU title w/NCAA...

it's like this. from 1996 to 1999 a bunch of nobody's raced the INDY 500 and 1 guy had to win it each of those years... no-one remembers who won those races and when their names are brought up people smirk, scowl or just start laughing. why? because there was no competition (see: the split) and the guys in those 500 races those years were all 4th-tier drivers.

the point would be let's say Buddy Lazier thinks his INDY win puts him in a ring w/Rick Mears, Mario Andretti or Jacques Villeneuve...it doesn't cause he raced against a bunch of no-talent dip****s and every sports writer in america knows that, that's why his name is never EVER mentioned amongst great INDY winnners.

same thing here. MN won 2 AAU titles against jv teams and high school teams...great for them but not terribly relevant or significant in the long run.
        First off - Gurt is now on my ignore list. Life is too short to listen to what blow hards like he and JDUBBS have to say.

I'm not trying to convince anyone. I could honestly care less about what you or Gurt think. I've already said a few times that all I really care about is how the University of Minnesota pays tribute to the 1940 team. I think that squad deserves the recognition from their school. And the U of M recognizes the 1940 national championship the same way it does the NCAA championships. Good enough for me.

Save the petty, childish arguments about which program has more titles for JDUBBS. Because you're really not acting much better right now.
        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-10-2012, 09:45 AM.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
          msoh - Don't let all the naysayers stand in your way, keep on fighting the good fight.

Thanks buddy. It really doesn't bother me much. I could care less about title comparisons between schools. I am just glad the U hangs that banner because I think the 1940 squad deserves the recognition.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
            What are you talking about?
            Not a very effective analogy there if you ask me.
            Agreed.

Originally posted by Tiggsy
            Are you telling me there was quality competition in the early days of the NCAA? How did they pick the 4 teams? Why? Who got screwed that should have been included? Michigan and CC played in the first several tournaments but did CC only play because it was in their city? I don't know for sure any of those answers, do any of you?
            Yes, there was certainly quality competition in the early days of the NCAA. The East picked who they believed were their top 2 squads, and the West did the same. CC was selected because they were considered one of the top 2 teams out West. It had nothing to do with the fact that the tournament was held in the Springs. The Springs held the first 10 tourneys, and CC played in 7 of them. In those 7 years, CC's combined record was 135-45-5 (.743) (for the full 10 year period it was 175-76-6 (.693)). Only Michigan (195-41-11 (.812)) had a better winning percentage out West during that time period. FWIW, Minnesota was 142-110-6 (.562), and they made two trips (2nd place both trips, losing to Michigan in 1953 and RPI in 1954) to the Springs to represent the West during this time period. Michigan Tech was the other team to represent the west in this time period, and they were 90-120-9 (.432), but were 21-7-0 (.750) in 1956 that culminated with a close loss to Michigan in the '56 title game.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              jdubbs won't recognize the 1940 team. They had a canadian on the roster, Robert McKenzie.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Yes, there was certainly quality competition in the early days of the NCAA. The East picked who they believed were their top 2 squads, and the West did the same. CC was selected because they were considered one of the top 2 teams out West. It had nothing to do with the fact that the tournament was held in the Springs. The Springs held the first 10 tourneys, and CC played in 7 of them. In those 7 years, CC's combined record was 135-45-5 (.743) (for the full 10 year period it was 175-76-6 (.693)). Only Michigan (195-41-11 (.812)) had a better winning percentage out West during that time period. FWIW, Minnesota was 142-110-6 (.562), and they made two trips (2nd place both trips, losing to Michigan in 1953 and RPI in 1954) to the Springs to represent the West during this time period. Michigan Tech was the other team to represent the west in this time period, and they were 90-120-9 (.432), but were 21-7-0 (.750) in 1956 that culminated with a close loss to Michigan in the '56 title game.
                So you're they picked teams based on record alone? So was there one guy at the NCAA responsible for making the call to these teams letting them know they were selected? So if one of these schools found some weak team they could beat up on multiple times a year and racked up the wins they would be picked to play? 4 teams isn't enough to determine a championship. Too many good teams were not given an opportunity. I don't think they should count until the tournament was expanded.

Comment

So you're they picked teams based on record alone? So was there one guy at the NCAA responsible for making the call to these teams letting them know they were selected? So if one of these schools found some weak team they could beat up on multiple times a year and racked up the wins they would be picked to play? 4 teams isn't enough to determine a championship. Too many good teams were not given an opportunity. I don't think they should count until the tournament was expanded.
                  Does that include 1974, 1976 and 1979?
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I suppose we could just count from 1981 on then when the tournament expanded to 8 teams.

Titles Won:
                    North Dakota - 4
                    Wisconsin - 4
                    Boston College - 4
                    LSSU - 3
                    BU - 2
                    DU - 2
                    Maine - 2
                    Michigan - 2
                    Michigan State - 2
                    Minnesota - 2
                    Bowling Green - 1
                    RPI - 1
                    Harvard - 1
                    Northern Michigan - 1
                    Duluth - 1
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I suppose we could just count from 1981 on then when the tournament expanded to 8 teams.

Titles Won:
                      North Dakota - 4
                      Wisconsin - 4
                      Boston College - 4
                      LSSU - 3
                      BU - 2
                      DU - 2
                      Maine - 2
                      Michigan - 2
                      Michigan State - 2
                      Minnesota - 2
                      Bowling Green - 1
                      RPI - 1
                      Harvard - 1
                      Northern Michigan - 1
                      Duluth - 1
                      Fine by me.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        First off - Gurt is now on my ignore list. Life is too short to listen to what blow hards like he and JDUBBS have to say.

I'm not trying to convince anyone. I could honestly care less about what you or Gurt think.

I'm hurt. That may be the first time I've made someone's list.

To quote Martin Zellar though... "I'm not surprised it's come to this, I'm just surprised it took this long."

And you do care or you wouldn't keep responding.

Comment

Titles Won:
                          North Dakota - 4
                          Wisconsin - 4
                          Boston College - 4
                          LSSU - 3
                          BU - 2
                          DU - 2
                          Maine - 2
                          Michigan - 2
                          Michigan State - 2
                          Minnesota - 2
                          Bowling Green - 1
                          RPI - 1
                          Harvard - 1
                          Northern Michigan - 1
                          Duluth - 1
                          I believe that this is the most fair way to do it.

Lake State > Minnesota

Comment

Starting in 2002 is probably a better barometer for how teams should be judged.

Titles won:
                            Boston College - 3
                            Minnesota - 2
                            Denver - 2
                            Wisconsin - 1
                            Michigan State - 1
                            Boston University - 1
                            Duluth - 1

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

I'm not trying to convince anyone. I could honestly care less about what you or Gurt think. I've already said a few times that all I really care about is how the University of Minnesota pays tribute to the 1940 team. I think that squad deserves the recognition from their school. And the U of M recognizes the 1940 national championship the same way it does the NCAA championships. Good enough for me.

Save the petty, childish arguments about which program has more titles for JDUBBS. Because you're really not acting much better right now.
                              MNSOH is Dubbs' Mini-me

Comment

Starting in 2012
                                Boston College - 1
                                57 other schools - 0

Boston College > Everyone else.
                                "My greatest achievement."
                                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Working...
                                X