MN Hockey - "We're So SPECIAL!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    in rec hockey there was a guy who kept track of his goals and assists and kept running totals on his blog. when he reached 1000 points he was sooooooo excited as if he were *actually* 1/3 of the way to catching Gretzky...

anyway, that's not all that different to me than saying AAU and NCAA championships are equivalent...Brock Hall? get serious
    Again, your thinking of college hockey as it is today, or the past 40-50 years. In 1940, the term "college team" didn't mean what it does today, and the line between college teams and club teams wasn't what one might think. At that time, those club teams were often representing our country in the Olympics.

So, please excuse me if I at your "Brock Hall? Get Serious" remark. The Gophers were 18-0 that year, and never won a game by less than 3 goals.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: MN Hockey - "We're So SPECIAL!"

My masterpiece

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post

mnstateofhockey - gotta chuckle a little because I think you mentioned your reservations about this place on twitter. You were more right then you knew.
        Yeah, we did have that conversation, didn't we. This is why I generally steer clear of message boards. Way too much drama.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          Again, your thinking of college hockey as it is today, or the past 40-50 years. In 1940, the term "college team" didn't mean what it does today, and the line between college teams and club teams wasn't what one might think. At that time, those club teams were often representing our country in the Olympics.

So, please excuse me if I at your "Brock Hall? Get Serious" remark. The Gophers were 18-0 that year, and never won a game by less than 3 goals.
          you should respond to this stats and history as presented by those newspaper accounts courtesy of kdilks, those pretty much lay out the argument better than i can.

but to my point which is "Brock Hall? Get Serious!"

I stand by that. if Wisconsin played 18 Brock Hall's last year, trust me they would have waltzed through them (as painfully avg as UW as last year even).
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            you should respond to this stats and history as presented by those newspaper accounts courtesy of kdilks, those pretty much lay out the argument better than i can.

but to my point which is "Brock Hall? Get Serious!"

I stand by that. if Wisconsin played 18 Brock Hall's last year, trust me they would have waltzed through them (as painfully avg as UW as last year even).
            That's my whole point. Your framing your whole argument in terms of "last year", or recent history. College hockey was much different then than now.

And what Dilks posted does little to sway my opinion. Gophers were 18-0 in 1940. They beat Michigan, Michigan Tech, and Illinios 4 times each I believe. Their smallest margin of victory that year was 3 goals. And some of those club teams, like Brock Hall, you're referring to, represented this country in the Winter Olympics and won medals.

Sorry, we can agree to disagree if you'd like, but I think your statement about "Getting Serious" to be very short-sighted. And I stand by that.
            Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-08-2012, 11:24 PM.

Comment

That's my whole point. Your framing your whole argument in terms of "last year", or recent history. College hockey was much different then than now.

And what Dilks posted does little to sway my opinion. Gophers were 18-0 in 1940. They beat Michigan, Michigan Tech, and Illinios 4 times each I believe. Their smallest margin of victory that year was 3 goals. And some of those club teams, like Brock Hall, you're referring to, represented this country in the Winter Olympics and won medals.

Sorry, we can agree to disagree if you'd like, but I think your statement about "Getting Serious" to be very short-sighted. And I stand by that.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_team_rosters

http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.co...ndresults.html

Practically all of the "club" players came from one club in Boston. And in the year the US didn't send a team, the Boston team was the only non-college team that was considered. The Boston team would have been a top level college team, seeing as it was largely filled with top college players who had recently graduated. A few major cities had amateur teams that appeared to have been on par with college level teams (St Nick's and Cleveland both had 1 goal games against Minnesota in 1939, and Cleveland did put one person on the US World team in 1939). But after St Nick's and Cleveland dropped, all you've got left in the 1940 AAU tournament are Minnesota and a bunch of small town teams that were apparently unimportant enough so that there's barely any written record of their existence, let alone of how good they may have been.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_team_rosters

http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.co...ndresults.html

Practically all of the "club" players came from one club in Boston. And in the year the US didn't send a team, the Boston team was the only non-college team that was considered. The Boston team would have been a top level college team, seeing as it was largely filled with top college players who had recently graduated. A few major cities had amateur teams that appeared to have been on par with college level teams (St Nick's and Cleveland both had 1 goal games against Minnesota in 1939, and Cleveland did put one person on the US World team in 1939). But after St Nick's and Cleveland dropped, all you've got left in the 1940 AAU tournament are Minnesota and a bunch of small town teams that were apparently unimportant enough so that there's barely any written record of their existence, let alone of how good they may have been.
                That's pretty much what you posted before. It doesn't change my opinion for reasons stated. The Gophers were clearly the best team in college hockey that year and I am happy that the University of Minnesota acknowledges and celebrates their achievement on the same level as the school's NCAA titles. I think that squad deserves it.

Saw quite a few St Paul Athletic Club players on some of the early Olympic teams. I read about that team sometime in the past, but can't recall where. Anyone know where I can find more info on them?
                Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-09-2012, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                  I looked up the original article in the archives of the Minnesota Daily that is the sole citation for Minnesota's 1929 championship. The actual sub-headline is "Iverson claims tie with Yale for National Collegiate Honors" (http://www.mndaily.com/sites/default...-16.pdf#page=3). You can find an article in the Harvard Crimson from the same week claiming that if Yale won their last game against Harvard (which they did, 3-2 3OT), then Yale would have "sole claim" to a "mythical intercollegiate hockey title" (http://www.thecrimson.com/article/19...am-faces-yale/). So obviously there was no actual title, yet Minnesota continues to take their coach's declaration as some sort of fact. Furthermore, Eveleth Junior College claims to be the top-ranked team of 1928-1929 based on the published rankings of a fellow named Tonnele in Spalding's yearly "Official Ice Hockey Guide".
                  I think we're missing the real issue here. Where can I get me a campus styled spring hat for the low price of only $5 now that Maurice Rothschild has closed down? Answer that and this whole issue goes away because we'll all be too busy staring in the mirror at how dapper we all would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                    I think we're missing the real issue here. Where can I get me a campus styled spring hat for the low price of only $5 now that Maurice Rothschild has closed down? Answer that and this whole issue goes away because we'll all be too busy staring in the mirror at how dapper we all would be.
                    *****http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8825/bartafterdarkhomersenem.jpg******
                    Agreed. First Prize.
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Parise, you raise an important point. I can't even remember the last time I was dapper. Or if.

Comment

It was hard to not mention all of the random stories that popped up. Especially the front page article proclaiming that women now smoke pipes instead of fags.

That's pretty much what you posted before. It doesn't change my opinion for reasons stated. The Gophers were clearly the best team in college hockey that year and I am happy that the University of Minnesota acknowledges and celebrates their achievement on the same level as the school's NCAA titles. I think that squad deserves it.

Saw quite a few St Paul Athletic Club players on some of the early Olympic teams. I read about that team sometime in the past, but can't recall where. Anyone know where I can find more info on them?
                        What exactly makes it so clear? They have no claim over anybody in the West. Colorado College was on the rise, and also swept Michigan that year. There was also the Southern California team that had swept Minnesota in both Los Angeles and Minneapolis/St. Paul the previous two seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                          It was hard to not mention all of the random stories that popped up. Especially the front page article proclaiming that women now smoke pipes instead of fags.

What exactly makes it so clear? They have no claim over anybody in the West. Colorado College was on the rise, and also swept Michigan that year. There was also the Southern California team that had swept Minnesota in both Los Angeles and Minneapolis/St. Paul the previous two seasons.
                          They went 18-0 and never won by less than three.

They beat Michigan 9-2, 5-2, 7-0, 5-0
                          They beat MichiganTech 9-1, 8-0, 7-1, 9-1
                          They beat Illinois 8-2, 10-2, 9-1, 9-2
                          They beat Yale 3-0, 7-2
                          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

They beat Yale 3-0, 7-2

Hahahahaha

Dubber Part Deux still at it I see.

I think it's cute that you were worried about what I was doing in here.

PS - You're not going to convince even one person that the AAU title is the same as an NCAA title. Not even one.

Comment

They beat Yale 3-0, 7-2
                              Gurt is right, there is no-one outside of you, jdubbs and the insane, who are going to equate an AAU title w/NCAA...

it's like this. from 1996 to 1999 a bunch of nobody's raced the INDY 500 and 1 guy had to win it each of those years... no-one remembers who won those races and when their names are brought up people smirk, scowl or just start laughing. why? because there was no competition (see: the split) and the guys in those 500 races those years were all 4th-tier drivers.

the point would be let's say Buddy Lazier thinks his INDY win puts him in a ring w/Rick Mears, Mario Andretti or Jacques Villeneuve...it doesn't cause he raced against a bunch of no-talent dip****s and every sports writer in america knows that, that's why his name is never EVER mentioned amongst great INDY winnners.

same thing here. MN won 2 AAU titles against jv teams and high school teams...great for them but not terribly relevant or significant in the long run.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

They beat Yale 3-0, 7-2
                                They were all rebuilding.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X