Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    I see little difference.
    Same. It's why at this point, I just resort to snark. There's nothing to be gained from taking JDUBBS seriously or egging him on, so I have no idea what Gurt is going for here.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: MN Hockey - "We're So SPECIAL!"

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      Congrats! You've become as big of a troll as he is.

Why people can't simply ignore this guy is beyond me. It's almost as if some of you enjoy the verbal spars, which only encourage him to continue. This makes you as bad as he is.
      Have you met Gurt before?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        I completely agree that Minnesota was the best team in hockey in 1940. However, the AAU title is not indicative of anything. It wasn't even won against college competition, and as a result should not be talked about in comparison with an NCAA Title. The fact that the Gophers hang a banner for it right next to their NCAA Title banners cheapens their NCAA titles. I've said it before, but IMHO if Minnesota wants to hang a banner, hang one for the undefeated season. Had their been an NCAA Tournament in 1940, Minnesota would likely have won it, but it would have been no sure thing. The best team doesn't always win the NCAA Tournament...just ask Brendan Morrison.

That being said, if I were a Gopher fan, I would be very proud of that season. They had great players, won by a lot of lopsided scores, and never lost. I just would care less about hanging a banner for winning the two easiest games of the season.
        I can't believe I'm interjecting in a meaningless discussion, but when you say "college competition" you are thinking of college hockey as it has existed the past 40-50 years.

In 1940, and even in the early days of the NCAA, the college hockey landscape was much different. Some of these "club" teams were much better than you think, and often better than some if not most of the NCAA field.

In fact, the US used to send some of these "club" teams to represent the country in the early days of the Winter Olympics, and those teams fared rather well against World competition.

The University of Minnesota hangs a banner for that championship (they do not for the shared championship of 1929), and I think it is justifiable that they do so.

Not that it matters in the petty, meaningless squabble for championship bragging rights (which I care little about), but I do object with calling that title meaningless or less significant.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
          Have you met Gurt before?
          I don't have a problem with Gurt. I actually like his contributions when they aren't wasted on trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            I completely agree that Minnesota was the best team in hockey in 1940. However, the AAU title is not indicative of anything. It wasn't even won against college competition, and as a result should not be talked about in comparison with an NCAA Title. The fact that the Gophers hang a banner for it right next to their NCAA Title banners cheapens their NCAA titles. I've said it before, but IMHO if Minnesota wants to hang a banner, hang one for the undefeated season. Had their been an NCAA Tournament in 1940, Minnesota would likely have won it, but it would have been no sure thing. The best team doesn't always win the NCAA Tournament...just ask Brendan Morrison.

That being said, if I were a Gopher fan, I would be very proud of that season. They had great players, won by a lot of lopsided scores, and never lost. I just would care less about hanging a banner for winning the two easiest games of the season.
            I can't tell how serious this post is, so take this response accordingly. Using that same logic you could throw out the games any year your team played AA 4+ times in a year because they are sub par competition. So why don't we throw out the points from AA in the standings? There was a tournament and the best teams in the AAU were playing in it. What's the difference if they were college or not?

I'm with EODS and mnstate0fhockey on this. But there I go and contribute to the problem again. *sigh*

Comment

The University of Minnesota hangs a banner for that championship (they do not for the shared championship of 1929), and I think it is justifiable that they do so.

Not that it matters in the petty, meaningless squabble for championship bragging rights (which I care little about), but I do object with calling that title meaningless or less significant.
              I believe they do have a 1929 banner but it is not in line with the other national championship banners. It is also not gold like the rest. IIRC it is a maroon banner which is hanging in the NCAA runner up line. I think there is a big ten banner with multiple years on it as well near by.

Second point, I agree completely.

I don't have a problem with Gurt. I actually like his contributions when they aren't wasted on trolls.
              For the record, it's all his fault this squabble shifted from where it started in the WI thread to take over multiple threads at the same time. I bet he takes a mark of pride in that.

Comment

if you guys had figured out back then how to recruit over age Canadians, and had won two AAU titles, then we would see 2>1 here every day.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Well said. I would also like to add in two years we are about to embark on a new college hockey era one which will be more difficult to dominate. IMO, after this year all the NCAA Division one championships won by all the schools must start at 0-0. ;P
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                    Well said. I would also like to add in two years we are about to embark on a new college hockey era one which will be more difficult to dominate. IMO, after this year all the NCAA Division one championships won by all the schools must start at 0-0. ;P
                    I see what you did there...
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                      if you guys had figured out back then how to recruit over age Canadians, and had won two AAU titles, then we would see 2>1 here every day.
                      This.

Very nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                        I believe they do have a 1929 banner but it is not in line with the other national championship banners. It is also not gold like the rest. IIRC it is a maroon banner which is hanging in the NCAA runner up line. I think there is a big ten banner with multiple years on it as well near by.

Second point, I agree completely.

For the record, it's all his fault this squabble shifted from where it started in the WI thread to take over multiple threads at the same time. I bet he takes a mark of pride in that.
                        You're right Tiggs. They do have a banner for the 1929 Championship, but it's a different color than the other six. Thanks for clarifying that

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post

Uh, I did not start this thread. Nor am I the only one contributing to keeping Dubbie "occupied" here.

Do I enjoy keeping this thread going? Absolutely. If he doesn't post his provincial garbage here, he's going to do it somewhere else anyway.

Again, this thread was created specifically to "debate" these silly points. No need to read it if you don't enjoy an inane debate that continues to chase its own tail.

I don't necessarily enjoy the subject, but I'm still finding slight pleasure in keeping Dubbie going although it's waning...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Uh, I did not start this thread. Nor am I the only one contributing to keeping Dubbie "occupied" here.

Do I enjoy keeping this thread going? Absolutely. If he doesn't post his provincial garbage here, he's going to do it somewhere else anyway.

Again, this thread was created specifically to "debate" these silly points. No need to read it if you don't enjoy an inane debate that continues to chase its own tail.

I don't necessarily enjoy the subject, but I'm still finding slight pleasure in keeping Dubbie going although it's waning...
                            Not this thread, but in an attempt to clear the WI thread you did deliberately bait a line in the MN thread. Which of course worked and the exact same debate was going on in 2 threads at a time. This thread was created to stop that from happenening, which it almost did.

I'll admit I like coming here. It is entertaining. But I don't like getting drawn in with such a "serious" tone as I did responding to FS23. But such is the nature of such things, so I'm all about rolling with it. I have no ill will towards you for your role in this, but won't hesitate to point it out or mock it either.

Comment

Not this thread, but in an attempt to clear the WI thread you did deliberately bait a line in the MN thread. Which of course worked and the exact same debate was going on in 2 threads at a time. This thread was created to stop that from happenening, which it almost did.
                              Yes I did and that was just to make a point and in truth, spread a little of Dubbie's pain to his own people. As you know, I'm not really ever in your thread and if I am, it's not to troll.

Game threads? These threads? I'm all in! And it's just for fun

I believe that we understand each other.

Comment

I can't tell how serious this post is, so take this response accordingly. Using that same logic you could throw out the games any year your team played AA 4+ times in a year because they are sub par competition. So why don't we throw out the points from AA in the standings? There was a tournament and the best teams in the AAU were playing in it. What's the difference if they were college or not?
                                I'm not sure what "logic" you are trying to use comparing AAU games with games against UAA, but I don't think you got the point. Nobody raises a banner for beating UAA (well, maybe St. Cloud, but I'll have to check back on that).

Another problem there is the best teams in the AAU were certainly not playing in the tournament. For example, Yale destroyed the Brock Hall Milkmen (that's right, the Gophers beat the Milkmen for the AAU title) that season, just a few weeks prior to the AAU tournament. Yale was a good team that year (beat Brock Hall by a bigger margin than Minnesota), and would have given Minnesota a run for their money had they met. Unfortunately there was not an NCAA Tournament, so we will never know how a potential matchup (Yale wasn't even the best team out East that year, so they may not have even received an invite to a hypothetical NCAA Tourney) would have gone.

EDIT: And yes, I fully realize that Yale lost to the Gophers earlier in the 1939-1940 season...although I believe they played Minnesota closer than just about anyone else that season, despite both games being in Minnesota.

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                                At least it would be an apples to apples comparison. Of course, North Dakota's program started the season prior (1946-1947) to the NCAA Tournament, so we could have, at most, only won one AAU title.
                                Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X