Penn State Recruiting Thread - Let the Fun Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State Recruiting Thread - Let the Fun Begin

Might as well get things going with this news announced today.

Gardiner is the brother of former Badger and current Maple Leaf Jake Gardiner.

Forward Max Gardiner (Deephaven, Minn.), a 2010 National Hockey League draft choice, and defenseman Joseph Lordo (St. Louis, Mo.) have been added to the 2012-13 roster for the Penn State men's hockey team, head coach Guy Gadowsky announced Thursday.

The St. Louis Blues' third-round selection (74th overall) in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Gardiner competed for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League in 2011-12. The Deephaven, Minn., native collected 26 points (12g, 14a) in 50 regular-season games and added four points (1g, 3a) in five playoff games. Prior to his time with Dubuque, Gardiner spent the 2010-11 season at the University of Minnesota, where he recorded three points (1g, 2a) in 17 games.

In 2011-12, Lordo concluded his second season a member of the USHL's Sioux Falls Stampede. The St. Louis, Mo., native, who served as team captain, led his team's defensemen with 21 points (3g, 18a) in 58 games. The blueliner skated in 117 career regular-season games for Sioux Falls and collected 31 points (6g, 25a). In 2010-11, he added four points (3g, 1a) in 10 playoff games.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    Might as well get things going with this news announced today.

Gardiner is the brother of former Badger and current Maple Leaf Jake Gardiner.
    And former Gopher.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Re: Penn State Recruiting Thread - Let the Fun Begin

The 2012-13 roster is here.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
        The 2012-13 roster is here.
        Cool. Thanks! Some nice talent on that roster. Good luck next season. Gotta be exciting for you guys
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          Cool. Thanks! Some nice talent on that roster. Good luck next season. Gotta be exciting for you guys
          Indeed it will be.

Comment

Looks like the approach to recruiting is changing already. Its moving from a Penn centric approach to more of a national approach. Good to see D1 is changing things already.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Looks like the approach to recruiting is changing already. Its moving from a Penn centric approach to more of a national approach. Good to see D1 is changing things already.
              That actually started with this year's team. Next year it goes international with recruits from Canada coming in.

Comment

So I'm not trying to start anything here but how do you think PSU will do once they go D1? Michigan Lacrosse (yea I know, Lacrosse) just went D1 this year after absolutely dominating the Club level. They won multiple National Championships as a Club team but they have 1 win this year after going D1. They are 1-12 with 1 game remaining, that game is against North Carolina so chalk up 1-13 right now. But seriously, how well do you think PSU will do their first year of D-1 Hockey?
                Originally posted by alfablue
                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

They're getting decent talent (to keep your question relevant to the thread), but I'm sure it will be a slow start to some extent.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                    So I'm not trying to start anything here but how do you think PSU will do once they go D1? Michigan Lacrosse (yea I know, Lacrosse) just went D1 this year after absolutely dominating the Club level. They won multiple National Championships as a Club team but they have 1 win this year after going D1. They are 1-12 with 1 game remaining, that game is against North Carolina so chalk up 1-13 right now. But seriously, how well do you think PSU will do their first year of D-1 Hockey?
                    They will probably get some wins, maybe between 5 to 10 wins for the first year, i expect the second year in D-1 that they will improve greatly!! Will be interesting to see them play!!
                    Born-raised Ferris State fan!

Comment

Naturally, I'm somewhat biased, so take this as you will.

They'll take their lumps some nights but overall I think they will surprise more than a few people.

One thing is for certain, they won't be out-coached on most nights.

Comment

They are going to play some club teams and at least one Div 3 teams, so they should be able to get some wins on the record. In terms of the Div 1 competition, they'll probably lose most of the games, but I'm expecting more 4-1 type losses as opposed to 11-0 against the full scholarship teams. Even if the players they are bringing in are competitive, they'll lack the depth to hang with teams for full games.

Comment

I had thought the Big Ten had a rule against transfering to another Big Ten school.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            I had thought the Big Ten had a rule against transfering to another Big Ten school.
                            Ahh, you are correct. Lucia better get on that. ha.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

No offense PSU fans, but you're probably going to be the B1G door mat for a while. I just hope your able to draw more than OSU after the honeymoon phase.

Comment

Working...
                              X