Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Definately caught me off guard, but If I am looking at this with an optimistic mindset, I guess it is good that BSU is being proactive and getting on top of this before they become entrenched in a "havenot" position. I am curious how this affects the nWCHA and his role on the committee but I would imagine his replacement will fill the spot? I have to imagine that anyone who replaces him will have to be a "hockey" person seeing as that is their top program on campus.

Comment

Maybe he'll be the new commish after the bum McLeod is done away with. I didn't get the impression that he was a bad AD, and I did get the impression that he has been highly involved in the nWCHA, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was more a transition to a new type of role in the future.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Maybe he'll be the new commish after the bum McLeod is done away with. I didn't get the impression that he was a bad AD, and I did get the impression that he has been highly involved in the nWCHA, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was more a transition to a new type of role in the future.
        I really hope that's true. The people working at the league offices are old fossils that can't even get up in the morning, and are asking what is this new thing you call the internet? We need some young guys in there with some energy.

I wonder if after the split the women's WCHA will move under the same roof as the mens.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Got the idea from Deadspin. Here's how the college hockey realignments look. The spot is the midpoint of all the member schools. The ring is the average distance from each school to the midpoint location.

As the WCHA and CCHA are currently:
          *****http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho/1213AvgDistance.jpg******

And how the NCHC, WCHA, and B1G will look come next October:
          *****http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho/1314AvgDistance.jpg******

Adding Huntsville to the WCHA for 13-14 moves the midpoint just slightly southeast (still located within Canada) and the ring shrinks by just 30 miles (virtually no change to the graph).
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Have any of the ADs in the nWCHA talked about the whole TV situation and how TV expsoure will drop within this league?

I'm really curious on if they've just resigned themselves to the fact that each team will just have their own internet feed or are they trying to find ways to get exposure on TV, Roku channel etc. With UND not being able to broadcast homegames on Fox College Sports next year, you wonder if FCS would be open to showing some nWCHA games.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Got the idea from Deadspin. Here's how the college hockey realignments look. The spot is the midpoint of all the member schools. The ring is the average distance from each school to the midpoint location.

As the WCHA and CCHA are currently:
              *****http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho/1213AvgDistance.jpg******

And how the NCHC, WCHA, and B1G will look come next October:
              *****http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho/1314AvgDistance.jpg******

Adding Huntsville to the WCHA for 13-14 moves the midpoint just slightly southeast (still located within Canada) and the ring shrinks by just 30 miles (virtually no change to the graph).
              All the more reason to let us in.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                All the more reason to let us in.

GFM
                Any arguments against letting UAH in are just feeble baseless excuses made by insular status-quo loving twats.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

First, aparch needs to get some kind of award for these graphics he is putting together. I was impressed with the conference maps way back on page one, and now this - the engineer side of me is now even more impressed.

Now as far as the analysis goes, the AK schools sway this data big time. This year the CCHA and WCHA each have one AK school. Next year they both fall in the WCHA so the WCHA goes from "B" to "DD" in size. I would be curious to see one more graph: The nWHCA not including the AK schools, the NCHC and the Bi6 Mess. In this scenario, I would expect the nWCHA to be a more average "C" size compared to the "B"i6 Mess and the "DD" NCHC spanning CO to OH. Even putting UAH into the nWCHA won't alter the data like even one AK school. I think we can all agree that the AK schools are going to make the average distance much greater.

Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    First, aparch needs to get some kind of award for these graphics he is putting together. I was impressed with the conference maps way back on page one, and now this - the engineer side of me is now even more impressed.

Now as far as the analysis goes, the AK schools sway this data big time. This year the CCHA and WCHA each have one AK school. Next year they both fall in the WCHA so the WCHA goes from "B" to "DD" in size. I would be curious to see one more graph: The nWHCA not including the AK schools, the NCHC and the Bi6 Mess. In this scenario, I would expect the nWCHA to be a more average "C" size compared to the "B"i6 Mess and the "DD" NCHC spanning CO to OH. Even putting UAH into the nWCHA won't alter the data like even one AK school. I think we can all agree that the AK schools are going to make the average distance much greater.

Ryan J
                    Short version. Alaska is far away.
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                      Any arguments against letting UAH in are just feeble baseless excuses made by insular status-quo loving twats.
                      I will say no such things about people who have as-yet not been convinced of our value to the league but who also have the power to affirm or deny.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan J
                        Thanks.

Don't have time tonight to whip up the graphics (maybe Saturday or Sunday), but the raw data says that the Midpoint City for the current WCHA minus Anchorage is: Milroy, MN. I'd ballpark the average distance from there to be ~200 miles.
                        Midpoint for the Alaska-less current CCHA: Charlotte, MI. Wild-a**-guessing I would put the average distance to this location at ~150 miles.

An Alaska-less NewWCHA, without Huntsville: Crivitz, WI with a ballpark of ~150 Miles.
                        Alaska-less NewWCHA with Huntsville: Kiel, WI, and I'd think it would be at least ~200 Miles.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Didn't the league already announce how many conference games they would be playing?
                          I like 24 games and I like the pods. I think if you did that maybe, just maybe you could not have the two alaska teams playing each other in the playoffs.
                          Donald, I like your ideas, and you are right it brings opportunity, however give the AD's credit, they are smart guys who do figure things out eventually. If it's something that would work, they will consider it.
                          Overall though, I think less that 24 league games is unrealistic.
                          Haven't been studying this thread completely, so don't know exact specifics of what's being batted about. (interesting though). I know I've seen some discussions on promoting rivalries though.

WOuldn't putting AK teams in different pods be separating what is undoubtedly the most intense rivalry in the new WCHA? Seriously, those guys (or at least the fans) hate each other, evidently both towns are hell holes filled with jerks ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Donald, I think you best bet is the crossover divisional brought up.
                            West: BSU, MSU, MTU, NMU, UAA
                            East: UAH, BGSU, FSU, LSSU, UAF
                            With a designated rival in the other division. But that puts us at 28
                            How does it make sense to make the two schools with the largest travel difficulties (Alaska and UAH) play each other?
                            Last edited by camilo; 11-29-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

You could argue the UAF UAA is the biggest rivalry but I think you'd be wrong.
                              Originally posted by camilo View Post
                              How does it make sense to make the two schools with the largest travel difficulties (Alaska and UAH) play each other?
                              to try and keep the ccha, wcha teams mostly intact.
                              Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 11-29-2012, 07:57 PM.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                You could argue the UAF UAA is the biggest rivalry but I think you'd be wrong.
                                NMU v. MTU in the nWCHA ? ? ?

or...
                                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Working...
                                X