Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    This is my guess if the WCHA went to a ten team, two division setup with the Alaska schools in different divisions:

East: LSSU, FSU, BGSU, UAH, UAF
    West: NMU, MTU, BSU, MSUM, UAA

x4 Four teams in your division = 16 games
    x4 Rival from other division= 4 games (Rivals I guess would be LSSU/NMU, Tech/Ferris, UAF/UAA, Bemidj/UAH, Mankato/BGSU)
    x2 Four other teams from other division= 8 games
    =28 games
    That would be my expectation. Our people have hammered away on Alaska-Alabama being easier than Alaska-Alaska, financially and otherwise.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      (Rivals I guess would be LSSU/NMU, Tech/Ferris, UAF/UAA, Bemidj/UAH, Mankato/BGSU)
      Well there will never be a perfect schedule that makes everyone happy, but I can tell you that MTU / FSU is not a rivalry unless there is bench clearing brawl in the first game that spills into the stands and out into the parking lot. I can appreciate your desire to pound on NMU so many times a year but don't forget to share - there are others in the UP that enjoy doing like wise.

Also I'm sure Mankato and BGSU would take a while to get rev'd up without much past history between them. The other pairings are pretty solid.

Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        Well there will never be a perfect schedule that makes everyone happy, but I can tell you that MTU / FSU is not a rivalry unless there is bench clearing brawl in the first game that spills into the stands and out into the parking lot. I can appreciate your desire to pound on NMU so many times a year but don't forget to share - there are others in the UP that enjoy doing like wise.

Also I'm sure Mankato and BGSU would take a while to get rev'd up without much past history between them. The other pairings are pretty solid.

Ryan J

Since NMU/MTU is already in the same cluster under this proposal, then give NMU the FSU rivalry. Then MTU can beat up on LSSU. It can be a Jan / Marsha Brady type situation considering their schools history.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          If you don't mind playing 20/22 on the road, sure.
          Cos your conference brethren are going to demand that you come to their rink to play a non-conference game and reject the idea that they should come to yours.

ONE LAST TIME ... non-conference games can be played against conference members.

Comment

No one wants to do that Donald, stop beating the dead horse, we heard you...who wants to play games against conference opponents that doesn't count in the standings?
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Since NMU/MTU is already in the same cluster under this proposal, then give NMU the FSU rivalry. Then MTU can beat up on LSSU. It can be a Jan / Marsha Brady type situation considering their schools history.
              I hope by "schools history" you mean a combined 6 National Championships (plus 2 NAIA), 11 Conference Championships, over 200 players gone pro, and several notable Olympian and Stanley Cup winners?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory View Post
                I hope by "schools history" you mean a combined 6 National Championships (plus 2 NAIA), 11 Conference Championships, over 200 players gone pro, and several notable Olympian and Stanley Cup winners?
                I believe he means that Michigan Tech created LSSU...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan J
                  While I understand the relationship between BSU and UAH, I would be shocked if MSU and BSU were not matched up. It will be much easier to make that into a long standing rivalry due to the proximity of the 2 schools.
                  Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    No one wants to do that Donald, stop beating the dead horse, we heard you...who wants to play games against conference opponents that doesn't count in the standings?
                    And as many times as I've said it ... apparently some people still don't understand the concept.

It's beyond foolish to talk about 28 game schedules in a ten team league when limited by a 34 game schedule when you've seen exactly how crappy that worked out in the current league. Pretend "rivalries" and "clusters" and whatever ... it's nonsense. There's an opportunity in setting up a new conference to introduce new ideas and new ways to do things. Or there's the path of the status-quo.

Play an 18 game conference schedule. Hockey East has been playing conference opponents in non-conference games for years.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                      Hockey East has been playing conference opponents in non-conference games for years.
                      Yeah, its called the "Beanpot".
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Yeah, its called the "Beanpot".
                        Yeah um ... much more than just that tournament.

But it's a fine example of the sort of flexibility that extra non-conference games can give to a school. I'm sure you're aware that playing in Alaska means the games are exempt. Are you aware that there are other tournaments in the NCAA which are also exempt? There's no reason a school like UAH and it's very appealing winter weather couldn't put together a tournament which would get exempt status for one example and easily attract Big10 opponents ... why else would Big10 schools already be calling UAA and UAF hoping to get into their exempt tournaments in the future?

There's lots of possibilities for creativity if a school or coach is just willing to explore the options. Limiting yourself for no good reason is for fools.

Also ... an 18 game conference schedule would stop all the whining about possibly having to go to Alaska twice in one season. Nobody would ever go there twice during a regular season.
                        Last edited by uaafanblog; 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM.

Comment

But it's a fine example of the sort of flexibility that extra non-conference games can give to a school. I'm sure you're aware that playing in Alaska means the games are exempt. Are you aware that there are other tournaments in the NCAA which are also exempt? There's no reason a school like UAH and it's very appealing winter weather couldn't put together a tournament which would get exempt status for one example and easily attract Big10 opponents ... why else would Big10 schools already be calling UAA and UAF hoping to get into their exempt tournaments in the future?

There's lots of possibilities for creativity if a school or coach is just willing to explore the options. Limiting yourself for no good reason is for fools.

Also ... an 18 game conference schedule would stop all the whining about possibly having to go to Alaska twice in one season. Nobody would ever go there twice during a regular season.
                          Are you aware that you are WRONG? The ONLY exempt regular season games are the ones that take place against and alaska school in alaska, vs US-18 team, vs a foreign team (1) and in the Ice Breaker. The Ice Breaker is the ONLY exempt tournament. I think the WCHA should do a 24 game schedule, 10-12 non-conference games is plenty, any more and we risk having to play meaningless NC games against each other or playing too many games away from home.

Comment

Nice snark. Hockey East teams do not typically play each other outside of the Beanpot. And, this year, UHN and UMass might meet in the second round of the Ledyard Bank Classic, which doesn't come anyway close to "much more than just that tournament." So, wrong again.
                            Last edited by UncleRay; 11-15-2012, 02:01 PM.
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Wait, maybe tDonald was referring to all those non-con games that Hockey East teams play against each other in March. What do they call it? The league tournament??
                              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

The Florida Classic tournament was exempt; The Ice Breaker is exempt, I was pretty sure at some point that the Mariucci was an exempt tournament and how about the notre dame thing in chicago this winter??? ... the rules have changed perhaps because of D1 basketballs over use of this exempt tournament rule but that doesn't mean it still can't be used to hockey's advantage (I cannot find the specifics in the NCAA guide).... Anyway it's a matter of applying and meet the criteria (whatever that is). And even if it can't be exempted UAH would be well-advised to look into having a tournament once they gain conference membership.

Comment

Working...
                                X