Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Th source of this rumor came from an article in the BG paper that stated unidentified sources that were unhappy with their deal. It's not a solid source I readily admit, that's why I'm looking to confirm it. But when you ad the article, to a certain coaches comments, to nothing happening, and to a pointed no comment when this question was asked, then something is going on.

As far as BG, you know it's not that important, but it is a d1 school and while within hockey it's not much, outside of hockey it's name is recognized a lot more than anyone else's. Does that matter? maybe.

Also, if the league wanted to find a way to fly to games, especially on the across the lake trips like Bemidji to Ferris, it would really cut the time involved and it could be done for only about 20% more than the bus.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Th source of this rumor came from an article in the BG paper that stated unidentified sources that were unhappy with their deal. It's not a solid source I readily admit, that's why I'm looking to confirm it. But when you ad the article, to a certain coaches comments, to nothing happening, and to a pointed no comment when this question was asked, then something is going on.

As far as BG, you know it's not that important, but it is a d1 school and while within hockey it's not much, outside of hockey it's name is recognized a lot more than anyone else's. Does that matter? maybe.

Also, if the league wanted to find a way to fly to games, especially on the across the lake trips like Bemidji to Ferris, it would really cut the time involved and it could be done for only about 20% more than the bus.
      The league should seek out a league-wide sponsorship from a smaller airline, that would be free advertisement for a set schedule of flights each year. Maybe Great Lakes Aviation would be a good fit.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Right now a flight from Grand Rapids to Bemidji is $565 per person plus baggage fees. That will come out over $16,000 plus an extra night in the hotel. When it's all said and done, the total cost of the trip is going to be around $22,000 minimum.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          Right now a flight from Grand Rapids to Bemidji is $565 per person plus baggage fees. That will come out over $16,000 plus an extra night in the hotel. When it's all said and done, the total cost of the trip is going to be around $22,000 minimum.
          You can charter a plane to carry everyone for $8 to $9 per mile. A bus is 3.50 but it goes twice as many miles to get there, so the difference is about 1 to 1.50 per mile. So round trip, you are looking at maybe a thousand dollars extra depending. the long bus trips require two bus drivers which drives up the cost, and the hotel and meal costs double for the long trips as well. On a plane you cut the hotel and meal costs way back and that goes toward paying the difference in the fees. the SWC does this quite successfully in Basketball. Not to mention that your team arrives rested instead of wore out and they get back to class a lot sooner and function a lot better on monday after the trip. Teams that have these long trips have a tough time bouncing back and it's usually wednesday before they are normal again.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Fairbanks is a terrific town with a great fan base, but honestly, do you think that other schools would be as willing to do it without that exemption? Why do you think Huntsville is having trouble finding a home?? It's the travel. That all being said, no one has more rigorous travel than UAF. And Anchorage isn't much better. The length of trips and 4 hour difference on a regular basis is no piece of cake.
            Yes, but the Alaska schools have no choice. Either massive travel or no schedule. That's not true for the rest of the schools in the conference. Every one could put together a schedule that did not include a trip to Alaska, so I get tired of Alaska fans saying that we have no gripe since their travel is worse.
            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
              Yes, but the Alaska schools have no choice. Either massive travel or no schedule. That's not true for the rest of the schools in the conference. Every one could put together a schedule that did not include a trip to Alaska, so I get tired of Alaska fans saying that we have no gripe since their travel is worse.
              True. However, that issue should be considered when accepting a team into the conference - if the travel TO that team is too onerous, the team should not be admitted into the conference. Once the team is in the conference, this no longer becomes a factor. The league has committed to that team, including travel. Therefore complaining of traveling is OK, but is obviously more of a complaint to the Alaskan teams and they have a valid complaint at that point.

Same will hold true for UAH - if the league members don't want to increase their travel, they should not admit UAH. Once they do, UAH has every right to point out - if confronted with complaints by other teams - that their travel is um-teen times worse.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                Yeah, but at the same time, without the AK schools, the nWCHA would be on shaky footing in terms of membership numbers. And if one AK program dies, the other probably goes with it eventually.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                  Part of the gripe on our part is that we are paying for other teams to fly up here. We can't help our location, but our schools have every bit the same right to field teams as any other schools in the country. That's part of the reason we foot the bill for other teams.

Look at it this way: how would you feel if you had a hot date, took her out to a nice dinner at the best restaurant in town, and instead of a thank you, all you got was some derision over the salad bar? That's kind of how we feel when teams complain about flying to AK on our dime.

Besides, in general terms, is a 5+ hour bus ride really that much worse than flying to Alaska?

Travel is just a way of life in the NCAA now, even if you don't count Alaska and Hawaii. How else could Boise State be in the Big East?
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Yeah, but at the same time, without the AK schools, the nWCHA would be on shaky footing in terms of membership numbers. And if one AK program dies, the other probably goes with it eventually.
                    One could survive without the other if the survivor still had a conference. Remember, we've been split up for two decades, and UAA doesn't help us on travel costs or vice versa. I think UAF's total athletic travel budget is easily over a $1 million, although that number may actually go down in the nWCHA.
                    Last edited by Squarebanks; 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      Besides, in general terms, is a 5+ hour bus ride really that much worse than flying to Alaska?
                      You may have intended to reverse this?

In any event, I personally believe the 5-5.5 hr bus ride is much easier and more preferable than a flight to Alaska, and I've flown to Alaska.

If a team loads it's equipment on the bus at the local arena at 1 p.m. in Grand Forks, 5.5 hours later they're at Mariucci, or the hotel where the team is staying. The same trip to Alaska is going to look something like this:

1-1:20 p.m. -- Travel to GFK airport
                      1:20-3:20 p.m. -- Checking in, going through security, boarding, etc...
                      3:20-5:30 p.m. -- Fly to Minneapolis, switch planes
                      5:30-11:45 p.m.(GFK time) -- Fly to Anchorage
                      11:45 p.m.-12:30 a.m. -- Retrieve luggage, board transport bus
                      12:30-1:00 a.m. -- Travel to arena/hotel

You are looking at 12 hours minimum of travel time, with multiple loading and unloading of luggage mixed in.

I loved my time in Alaska, but it's a haul to get there.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Do you have a link to this newspaper article so we can read it.
                        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                        Eric's Twitter
                        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          although that number may actually go down in the nWCHA.
                          Eh, once you factor in the extra bus time to places like Bemidji and Houghton, it's probably negligible. I suppose you'll be making one less flight by playing UAA in-conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Eh, once you factor in the extra bus time to places like Bemidji and Houghton, it's probably negligible. I suppose you'll be making one less flight by playing UAA in-conference.
                            Actually both teams fly back and forth. But that cost is mitigated through sponsorships.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Actually both teams fly back and forth. But that cost is mitigated through sponsorships.
                              Exactly. A great example of a way to help the league mitigate travel costs. If only there were people in the league office smart enough to think of sponsorships, other than the kind that gets free frozen pizza.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by camilo View Post
                                Same will hold true for UAH - if the league members don't want to increase their travel, they should not admit UAH. Once they do, UAH has every right to point out - if confronted with complaints by other teams - that their travel is um-teen times worse.
                                The argument that I keep hearing our guys making is this: it's cheaper to do an Alaska trip and a Huntsville trip than it is to do two Alaska trips.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X