Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    neither can your team so ****. This thread is getting annoying with rehashing things over and over and over again. First off, there is no guarantee a nWCHA team can get those games at home. 2nd there is obviously no guarantee they $20/tix for every ticket sold, or sell 4k seats...but whatever, keep thinking your teams are cash cows for the rest of us and keep wondering why you have to pay extra just to be a part of the league...
    I know exactly why. My team travels down there 7 or 8 times a year and your team travels up here maybe once a year and it's fanbase, adminstrators, coaches and players all whine like sand-filled vagina's if the possibility of having to travel to Alaska twice in a season presents itself. There is no other why.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
      Cos exempt games don't generate revenue for the holder.

4,000 seats x $20 per seat doesn't equal $80,000. Or $160,000 for the weekend minus average expenses and I'd imagine you're pretty close to that extra $100,000 a year.

I know, I know .... none of the nWCHA teams can put 4,000 into their s.hitty rinks.
      With all due respect, until your school wins 3 National Championships like LSSU, or even 1 for that matter, you haven't earned the right to call anything of ours "s.hitty".

Your the school with geographical constraints, not the other lower 48 members. That means you may have to share the cost. No one wants to see programs fold, as most of the people on this thread are hockey fans who relish competition. But if traveling to Alaska twice in one season puts our program in jeopardy due to financial constraints, you can't be upset with us choosing our own programs over yours. Just like we can't be upset with you defending your programs existence. It goes both ways. But don't mock and degrade us, that's doing UAA more harm than good.

Comment

I do not like the Alaska plan at, I think it makes the conference look cheap and justifies all the rumors of "being Cheap" that the Nacho teams whispered. However, I do understand there is alot of uncertainty ahead of not only the nWCHA, but the NCHC too (give them time, eventually they will realize they are not nor will they ever be the premier conference in Hockey, that will always be with the Big Ten and Hockey East now). Travel cost for everyone is going to go up, add in the loss of the regional rivalries and I think it is going to take a year or two before the AD's get a handle on what the new "normal" will be in regards to attendance and dollars. This is where I think the nWCHA would benefit from a strong forward thinking leader, which McLeod is clearly not. Instead, we have productive meetings where essentially nothing changed and one whacked out idea was presented poorly. Its long passed time to move in a different direction with the leadership and get some fresh ideas. The first being a new website that consoldates all video/media streaming to one easy to access site with forums and other means of communicating amongst the league and fanbases.

My 2nd wishful idea? Get Moorhead to add their program, Form a new Midwest conference with BSU, MSU-M, MSU-moorhead, NMU, LSSU, Tech and play the yearly championship in Duluth. Never going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmaxim23 View Post
          I do not like the Alaska plan at, I think it makes the conference look cheap and justifies all the rumors of "being Cheap" that the Nacho teams whispered. However, I do understand there is alot of uncertainty ahead of not only the nWCHA, but the NCHC too (give them time, eventually they will realize they are not nor will they ever be the premier conference in Hockey, that will always be with the Big Ten and Hockey East now). Travel cost for everyone is going to go up, add in the loss of the regional rivalries and I think it is going to take a year or two before the AD's get a handle on what the new "normal" will be in regards to attendance and dollars. This is where I think the nWCHA would benefit from a strong forward thinking leader, which McLeod is clearly not. Instead, we have productive meetings where essentially nothing changed and one whacked out idea was presented poorly. Its long passed time to move in a different direction with the leadership and get some fresh ideas. The first being a new website that consoldates all video/media streaming to one easy to access site with forums and other means of communicating amongst the league and fanbases.

My 2nd wishful idea? Get Moorhead to add their program, Form a new Midwest conference with BSU, MSU-M, MSU-moorhead, NMU, LSSU, Tech and play the yearly championship in Duluth. Never going to happen.
          How can you comment on how an idea was presented if you weren't at the meetings? Do you know if other proposals were discussed or voted upon? And forget Moorhead, unless you are willing to hand them a check for $20 million.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            How can you comment on how an idea was presented if you weren't at the meetings? Do you know if other proposals were discussed or voted upon? And forget Moorhead, unless you are willing to hand them a check for $20 million.

Easy, because it was presented differently by each school, with a different story. There seemed to be alot of uncertainty coming out of the meetings. No I wasn't there, and yes I realize there are numerous issues that need to be worked out that will take time. I think I stated that it is going to take a few years to work things out. My biggest fear is that the nWCHA becomes a rudderless ship with no clear direction or plan to get there. Hence, the need for better leadership. McLeod may know how to "run" a conference loaded with rich schools, but he appears to be clueless at running one without them. Hey, if he sticks around and proves me wrong, then great, cause that means my team will have come out fine and I'll eat those words.

As for Moorhead, I know that is not happening, like I said, it was my wishful thinking. It would be close to an NSIC hockey conference, haha

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory View Post
              With all due respect, until your school wins 3 National Championships like LSSU, or even 1 for that matter, you haven't earned the right to call anything of ours "s.hitty".
              S.hitty was a tongue-in-cheek reference to all the boohoo'rs who've said over and over that they can't fill their rinks.

Your the school with geographical constraints, not the other lower 48 members. That means you may have to share the cost. No one wants to see programs fold, as most of the people on this thread are hockey fans who relish competition.
              UAA and UAF have willing paid the huge majority of traveling costs for EVERY school in the WCHA and CCHA for as long as they have been members. They have MORE THAN done their share. And they've shown a continued willingness to maintain doing so.

But if traveling to Alaska twice in one season puts our program in jeopardy due to financial constraints, you can't be upset with us choosing our own programs over yours. Just like we can't be upset with you defending your programs existence. It goes both ways. But don't mock and degrade us, that's doing UAA more harm than good.
              I mock the fans, administrators, coaches and players who moan about having to come up here twice. It has NOTHING to do with money. The trip is not only subsidized by the host schools but YOUR SCHOOL(S) get exempt games to play in your home rink. They money your team makes from those games would fully offset any costs not already subsidized by UAA and UAF.

So the b.itching and moaning about coming to Alaska twice in a season has nothing to do with money and everything to do with YOUR fans, administrators, coaches and players being too p.ussy to sack up and get on a plane.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                S.hitty was a tongue-in-cheek reference to all the boohoo'rs who've said over and over that they can't fill their rinks.

UAA and UAF have willing paid the huge majority of traveling costs for EVERY school in the WCHA and CCHA for as long as they have been members. They have MORE THAN done their share. And they've shown a continued willingness to maintain doing so.

I mock the fans, administrators, coaches and players who moan about having to come up here twice. It has NOTHING to do with money. The trip is not only subsidized by the host schools but YOUR SCHOOL(S) get exempt games to play in your home rink. They money your team makes from those games would fully offset any costs not already subsidized by UAA and UAF.

So the b.itching and moaning about coming to Alaska twice in a season has nothing to do with money and everything to do with YOUR fans, administrators, coaches and players being too p.ussy to sack up and get on a plane.
                They don't get any exemption for traveling up there for playoffs and typically the conference pays all travel for the conference tournament. I'm sure if UAA and UAF agreed to pay last minute ticket purchase costs for any conference tournament travel involving going to or coming from Alaska, the nWCHA would be more than willing to go with a hard bracket. You could even set it up so UAA/UAF paid the difference in costs incurred by a team traveling to Anchorage/Fairbanks vs the travel costs of the next most expensive travel related to the conference tournament first round...that is certainly one way to deal with the issue...as long as you're more than willing to subsidize things already
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Ok, enough debate about this, I'll solve the problem once and for all. The nWCHA will now be two divisions - North and South. All post season games will be in division. UAF and UAA will play to determine the North Division Champion. The winner gets a trophy and no invite to the league tourney. Their place will be filled by the first round losing nWCHA South Division team with the most goals.

Was that so tough? That's almost as fair as the current proposal...

Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    Ok, enough debate about this, I'll solve the problem once and for all. The nWCHA will now be two divisions - North and South. All post season games will be in division. UAF and UAA will play to determine the North Division Champion. The winner gets a trophy and no invite to the league tourney. Their place will be filled by the first round losing nWCHA South Division team with the most goals.

Ryan J
                    Winner!

This is the best alternate proposal yet!
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Without fanning the flames let me add something. The second trip to alaska is NOT what teams are objecting to. It's the THIRD trip that is the problem. Add the cost of the short notice and it becomes a serious financial burden for the teams that have potentially been there twice already.
                      Yes yes, the Alaska teams do this in reverse all the time and good for them. Yes the exemption is valuable, but maybe not as much as certain people think.

I think once the finances are better understood then things will most likely change. The costs of travel is going to be a real sticking point going forward and is a sticking point for the nchc as well I guarantee it. They are not looking at a ton of revenue going forward either and if they have projections that show a big payday they are dreaming.So would you prefer to deal in reality, or a dream. I prefer reality.
                      Is it cheap. No. is it fair? no. will it be an issue going forward, I doubt it.

Overall we do need better leadership and a new direction and IMHO we will have it soon enough.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Think this whole thing is overblown. As part of the old WCHA and prob the new, we were very happy to have the AK teams in the league...and I'm sure that AK teams were happy to be in the league. Its just a matter of a couple details...and either way the playoff test comes out, its not a super big deal.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          Think this whole thing is overblown. As part of the old WCHA and prob the new, we were very happy to have the AK teams in the league...and I'm sure that AK teams were happy to be in the league. Its just a matter of a couple details...and either way the playoff test comes out, its not a super big deal.
                          This post amounts to you yelling down at us, from your yacht "It's going to be OK, guys!" While 4 of us are trying to bail out our 14 foot Lund, and the other 3 are trying to start the '76 Evinrude in the back. The Alaska schools are *****ing because we bought 87 octane instead of 95.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

To make it even and Southern, I know just the school to solve this problem ...

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

This new conference is very fraigle which is probably why there is so much uncertainty.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                To make it even and Southern, I know just the school to solve this problem ...
                                GFM
                                You know all of MTU welcomes UAH, however you would play in the Southeast Division and would face off against the Thrashers Alumni team in the WCHA opening round.

In summary:
                                North Division - UAA and UAF
                                UP Division - MTU, NMU and LSSU
                                Mitten Division - FSU and BGSU
                                Mud Duck Division - BSU and MSU
                                Southeast Division - UAH and Miami of Florida (I heard they're going D-I in hockey soon... I mean who isn't being rumored to go D-I in the near future)

Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X