Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Feel free to petition the NCHC. I'm sure they'll be willing to vote in your favor. You got outvoted 8-1. So by your view, anyone who votes against UAA must be an idiot, right?
    Even if AK teams come in 8th and 9th...they're a 50/50 to move on to the final weekend. Sure this wouldn't be ideal...but I don't see how its horrible.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

If people are really worried about the conference tournament not making money or losing money, then they should just get rid of it and award the auto-bid to the McNaughton winner.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Interesting tidbit from the Mel Peason show in the tech from mtu_huskies... Apparently it was Karr as the Fairbanks AD that thought of it... Interesting to see it that it is not be pushed on the Alaska schools, but from one of them...

Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        Dirks questions - Postseason in the nWCHA and the Alaska teams always playing in the 1st round?
        The average fan may not see the issues. Having both Alaska schools in the same league, creates issues, financially, travel, wear and tear, missed school time etc. There are so many uncertanties, Karr originally came up with the idea at Fairbanks, he has since moved to the AD at NMU. It does give one of the two to get to final five every year. Probably the best scenario, Mel thinks it will be fine. The best team will still have the opportunity to win the tournament and a birth to the NCAA.
        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
          Interesting to see it that it is not be pushed on the Alaska schools, but from one of them...
          Well honestly, what team wouldn't want a 50% chance of making the conference tourney every season? I would take it if offered, but it's a huge slap in the face of getting what you earned. I look at it along the lines of giving the CHA an auto-bid to the NCAAs with four teams. Sure people agreed to do it, but if it was really fair to the other teams is another story.

Ryan J
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Even if AK teams come in 8th and 9th...they're a 50/50 to move on to the final weekend. Sure this wouldn't be ideal...but I don't see how its horrible.
            I agree with you 100%. It's far from ideal. For me ideal would be leave out #9, play 1 v 8, 2 v 7, etc and the four winners advance.

But when you figure the cost of booking flights for 30 people from Marquette or Bemidji to Fairbanks on short notice, and hoping you can find enough seats to even get 30 people there on the same day on short notice, it's likely that you are going to have to pay closer to $1500 per seat plus equipment. Even a short notice ticket from Anchorage to Detroit is running close to $1300 right now. Now you may also have to book UAF or UAA to the tourney site as well on short notice, so you could be looking at an expense of $125K for the league for tourney transport. Whereas having UAA and UAF play in the first round significantly reduces that amount. Ideal, no. But practical, very.
            Last edited by davyd83; 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              If people are really worried about the conference tournament not making money or losing money, then they should just get rid of it and award the auto-bid to the McNaughton winner.
              If the New Without Class Hockey Association wants to make sure of making money and not and earned right to playoff seeding have a closed bid auction to host the first round. The school’s that pays the most to the league picks their opponent for first round. The team not picked by the top 4 doesn’t make the playoffs. Remember it’s all about the money not sense.
              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I don't see why this is such a bad thing for the Alaska schools. If Tech had a one-game playoff with Northern every year with the winner advancing to the league tournament, I'd take that. If nothing else, it'll be great for the local rivalry.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Right now, the "Alaska Experiment" is only a two year deal. And that is even if it makes it that far as it looks like, by some accounts/reports/quotes, that it could be changed at any time.

And the regular season does mean a little bit, the higher seed gets to host the other.
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I agree with you 100%. It's far from ideal. For me ideal would be leave out #9, play 1 v 8, 2 v 7, etc and the four winners advance.

But when you figure the cost of booking flights for 30 people from Marquette or Bemidji to Fairbanks on short notice, and hoping you can find enough seats to even get 30 people there on the same day on short notice, it's likely that you are going to have to pay closer to $1500 per seat plus equipment. Even a short notice ticket from Anchorage to Detroit is running close to $1300 right now. Now you may also have to book UAF or UAA to the tourney site as well on short notice, so you could be looking at an expense of $125K for the league for tourney transport. Whereas having UAA and UAF play in the first round significantly reduces that amount. Ideal, no. But practical, very.
                    There is no "last minute" ticket for UAF or UAA to the WCHA tournament in this scenario...it is known ahead of time one of them will be traveling to the tournament so just buy 30 tickets well in advance out of Anchorage...or fairbanks...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      There is no "last minute" ticket for UAF or UAA to the WCHA tournament in this scenario...it is known ahead of time one of them will be traveling to the tournament so just buy 30 tickets well in advance out of Anchorage...or fairbanks...
                      Note the part that says, "Whereas having UAA and UAF play in the first round significantly reduces that amount." Part of that reduction would be booking 30 tickets from Anchorage to the tourney site well in advance. If Fairbanks wins the UAA/UAF series, all they have to do is get to Anchorage.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                        Interesting tidbit from the Mel Peason show in the tech from mtu_huskies... Apparently it was Karr as the Fairbanks AD that thought of it... Interesting to see it that it is not be pushed on the Alaska schools, but from one of them...
                        Fairbanks is not the brain trust for the state of Alaska.
                        The last candidate for U.S. Senate from Fairbanks got beat by a write in candidate.
                        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                          Fairbanks is not the brain trust for the state of Alaska.
                          The last candidate for U.S. Senate from Fairbanks got beat by a write in candidate.
                          Is Anchorage the brain trust? Didn't the Anchorage area bring the Palin's into our national consciousness?

Comment

Is Anchorage the brain trust? Didn't the Anchorage area bring the Palin's into our national consciousness?
                            Anchorage also named it's airport for a guy who thinks the interwebs are a series of tubes.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Anchorage also named it's airport for a guy who thinks the interwebs are a series of tubes.
                              Yeah, with those three examples, it would appear that Alaska is not the brain trust for the rest of the country... and if Fairbanks is worst part of that... Does that mean that Northern now has a rival for lowest average IQ in the league?

Not a fan of the rule at all with its undermining of the integrity of the playoffs. It would be better to see if one school was 1-4/5, and the other was 4/5-9 then it comes into play.

I think it will be interesting to see the how the league does financially the first year, after that perhaps we'll have a better idea as to just how much the league can spend on travel costs.
                              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                                Right now, the "Alaska Experiment" is only a two year deal. And that is even if it makes it that far as it looks like, by some accounts/reports/quotes, that it could be changed at any time.And the regular season does mean a little bit, the higher seed gets to host the other.
                                call it what it is …” Alaska screw job” . Yep it could be altered as soon as somebody locates some bellybutton cleaner for some Plexiglas belly buttons, so some can have improved vision.

Comment

Working...
                                X