Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    WHY DO WE KEEP BRINGING THIS UP, why do I come in hear to read the same **** argument over and over again, if someone doesn't know that, just let them be naive. I'm sick of you pointing out that UAH is too far to drive within the NCAA 48 hour rule. I don't think anyone else cares anymore either.
    C'mon, show a little respect for the Travelocity Gnome.

Comment

I'm a little frustrated with the WCHA. What seemed like a productive couple of days in Detroit were shot completely to Hell by McLeod with his announcement of the "Alaska Playoff Plan," which after further review was still a work in progress.

I hoped that the CCHA's communication staff would have been a part of the new WCHA, but it seems to not be the case.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

*edit* According to this Bowling Green update, seems some of the great ideas kicked around here have been squelched in favor of "status quo."
      http://www.sent-trib.com/bgsu-sports...eague-schedule
      "Also, Christopher said it’s the WCHA’s “top priority” to have the Final Five on television.
      Television of regular-season games will be left to the individual schools. Schools already are streaming their games on the Internet."
      Frustrating.
      Last edited by aparch; 06-18-2012, 01:17 PM.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        When did they leave to Soo?
        I'm not aware of the details, but if they did it similarly to past trips to UNO (comparable distance), they would have made an overnight stop somewhere on the way down. They may have driven straight through on the way back to the Soo (and probably with a driver change).

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          I'm a little frustrated with the WCHA. What seemed like a productive couple of days in Detroit were shot completely to Hell by McLeod with his announcement of the "Alaska Playoff Plan," which after further review was still a work in progress.

I hoped that the CCHA's communication staff would have been a part of the new WCHA, but it seems to not be the case.

*edit* According to this Bowling Green update, seems some of the great ideas kicked around here have been squelched in favor of "status quo."

Frustrating.
          I can see things maybe not being implemented as expected for the upcoming league. But has the current WCHA's management really been that bad. Except for grumblings over who had the power in the league (ie, UMN which was not management's fault), the league seemed quite successful and outcomes were largely about as good as could be expected.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

Frustrating.
            Isn't McLeod's contract up after this season? The nWCHA could decide that they don't want to continue with McLeod at the helm because he seems to be useless.
            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
            Eric's Twitter
            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
              Isn't McLeod's contract up after this season? The nWCHA could decide that they don't want to continue with McLeod at the helm because he seems to be useless.
              I thought I read his contract is through 2013-14.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I thought I read his contract is through 2013-14.
                That could be true as well. I would be willing to bet that McLeod won't be going forward with the nWCHA "after" his contract is up.
                Just a prediction.
                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                Eric's Twitter
                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

We can only hope.

Once the dust settles, it's definitely time for new blood in the commish's office (and other league offices too, I would hope).

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    We can only hope.

Once the dust settles, it's definitely time for new blood in the commish's office (and other league offices too, I would hope).
                    the league office can not be full of old boys club guys when you're not the top conference anymore...that will only hurt us...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      I'm not aware of the details, but if they did it similarly to past trips to UNO (comparable distance), they would have made an overnight stop somewhere on the way down. They may have driven straight through on the way back to the Soo (and probably with a driver change).
                      IT would be nice if the NCAA could adopt a waiver, even say 4-6 hours to the rule for long distance bus trips. That way a team could leave at 2 in the afternoon, get a good 8 hours on the road, stop, sleep have a good breakfast and then finish the other 8-9 the next day and still get in with time for a quick skate and a good dinner! But it is the NCAA...never should the best interest of the athlete come first!
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        IT would be nice if the NCAA could adopt a waiver, even say 4-6 hours to the rule for long distance bus trips. That way a team could leave at 2 in the afternoon, get a good 8 hours on the road, stop, sleep have a good breakfast and then finish the other 8-9 the next day and still get in with time for a quick skate and a good dinner! But it is the NCAA...never should the best interest of the athlete come first!
                        I thought the whole point was the best interest of the STUDENT athlete.

Comment

I thought the whole point was the best interest of the STUDENT athlete.
                          If the NCAA could monetize it, the best interest of student athletes goes right out the window. 12-15 yrs ago, D-I college football played 10 regular season games. They said they couldn't have a playoff because of missed class time, etc. But they added an 11th game...then a conditional 12th, then the 12th became permanent. They added a half dozen new bowl games and added more teams to the NCAA Bouncy Ball tourney. If ESPN would pick up and pay crazy dollars for UAH Hockey, like they do for the Fruit of the Loom Who Gives a **** Bowl, you can bet they'd bend over backwards to accommodate!
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

the league office can not be full of old boys club guys when you're not the top conference anymore...that will only hurt us...
                            Thus we get the foolishness of having the final five at the X after the split. I understand that the final five is a brand and theoretically could bring cash in however Bruce makes bad decision after bad decision and it's time he found another place to work.
                            And I don't buy that the only reason the bhhc got started was because of the unwillingness of certain teams to share revenue. That is something to be unhappy about certainly, but is not a reason to blow up hockey.I'd bet financial unhappiness had been going on for a real long time prior to last year and nothing much happened. I'm totally convinced that the real reasons were other than this. The financial's were just the excuse used. A credible excuse but still an excuse.

I agree alaska is getting screwed. Hopefully this will change when bruce goes.
                            Last edited by manurespreader; 06-18-2012, 08:11 PM.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              Thus we get the foolishness of having the final five at the X after the split. I understand that the final five is a brand and theoretically could bring cash in however Bruce makes bad decision after bad decision and it's time he found another place to work.
                              And I don't buy that the only reason the bhhc got started was because of the unwillingness of certain teams to share revenue. That is something to be unhappy about certainly, but is not a reason to blow up hockey.I'd bet financial unhappiness had been going on for a real long time prior to last year and nothing much happened. I'm totally convinced that the real reasons were other than this. The financial's were just the excuse used. A credible excuse but still an excuse.

I agree alaska is getting screwed. Hopefully this will change when bruce goes.
                              I'm not taking up his cause. But what did McLoed do that was sooo bad. And don't tell me the NCHC formed because of him.

Associations...especially those with a small number of participants...are totally beholden to its members. The members say jump and association administrations say how high? Being a Gopher fan, I can tell you MN carries ton of weight in today's WCHA and frankly, the now crumbling status quo of hockey. MN didn't want to expand. The WCHA didn't expand. BSU was at risk...MN said they're welcome to join. Now I have no first hand knowledge of this...but I just know how every association operates and they do what ever they can to kiss butt. Its the same with Texas in the Big 12.

So not asking you imparticular...just what specific decisions did Bruce make prior to now that set him up as that bad?
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                An 8-1 vote with UAA being the one. That means a) Forrest Karr is a bigger dbag than I thought and b) the Alaska schools are being used like I thought.
                                So are you saying this is a Mickey Mouse league?
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X