Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    Yeah, let's hold it in a series of cities that have absolutely no connection to the league. Brillliant!
    Are you serious? Check WCHA rosters, there are plenty of USHL alum. Plus wouldn't be a bad idea for you guys to roll into town and make a name for yourself for recruiting purposes.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Re: The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      Are you serious? Check WCHA rosters, there are plenty of USHL alum. Plus wouldn't be a bad idea for you guys to roll into town and make a name for yourself for recruiting purposes.
      We've also got kids from Canadian junior leagues. Should we rotate the tournament through Canadian cities? Seriously, you think USHL fans are going to support a WCHA playoff tourney because the teams have a few kids that USED to play in their towns? You think fans of teams that are located primarily in Michigan and Minnesota are going to want to travel to INDIANAPOLIS to watch?

There is simply no good answer to this whole thing, but taking it to states that don't even have WCHA schools is about the least feasible alternative.
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
        Seriously, you think USHL fans are going to support a WCHA playoff tourney because the teams have a few kids that USED to play in their towns?
        Beavers fans will vouch for the fact that the CHA played in USHL cities and got very little in the way of fan support. Admittedly, the CHA member schools were not name schools in college hockey, but you'd figure that really interested junior hockey fans would be interested to see what happens at the next level. They weren't, at least not in Kearney and Des Moines. I mean, there isn't much going on in Kearney...

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          The part where "Oh, if they finish 1-2, the 3 seed will get a bye to the conference semis" is even worse then the original suggestion.

And to paraphrase what Ciskie said on his blog today, if you're considering something this drastic for your postseason tournament to save on costs, you need to just plan on having all games played on campus sites until you're more financially set. No talking to the XCel Center or whoever.
          You and Ciskie, guys whose schools bailed being critical of how those you left behind are trying to remain solvent..
          Last edited by davyd83; 06-17-2012, 09:30 AM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            You and Ciskie, guys whoe schools bailed being critical of how those you left behind are trying to remain solvent..
            Sympathy for left behind WCHA schools that secretly voted to invite Miami and Notre Dame to replace Minnesota and Wisconsin before getting backstabbed by North Dakota and Denver: Not applicable.

Sympathy for NMU who leapt out of the CCHA months before it entered its final death throes and watched their own "left behinds" try to talk Canisius, Robert Morris and Niagara into re-forming College Hockey America 2.0: Also not applicable.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Sympathy for left behind WCHA schools that secretly voted to invite Miami and Notre Dame to replace Minnesota and Wisconsin before getting backstabbed by North Dakota and Denver: Not applicable.

Sympathy for NMU who leapt out of the CCHA months before it entered its final death throes and watched their own "left behinds" try to talk Canisius, Robert Morris and Niagara into re-forming College Hockey America 2.0: Also not applicable.
              Maybe you should take your BS to the thread meant to talk about your school, or you can just go **** yourself, either way works.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Maybe you should take your BS to the thread meant to talk about your school, or you can just go **** yourself, either way works.
                It surely was a dirty offseason. Lot's of greasy dealings by all involved. Let's be honest about the WCHA, they wanted nothing to do with Ferris, LSSU or Bowling Green until it became apparent St Cloud was a strong candidate to bail as well. No one came out of the whole process with much honor intact. Bail before you get bailed on. Screw before you get screwed.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  Beavers fans will vouch for the fact that the CHA played in USHL cities and got very little in the way of fan support. Admittedly, the CHA member schools were not name schools in college hockey, but you'd figure that really interested junior hockey fans would be interested to see what happens at the next level. They weren't, at least not in Kearney and Des Moines. I mean, there isn't much going on in Kearney...

GFM
                  This biggest issue in Kearney and DesMoines was that the USHL season was still going on, and those home teams (Tri City Storm and DesMoines Bucs) had road games that were just down the road (in Lincoln both times, IIRC). Some fans came to the play-in games, but bailed on the semis and championship games because they traveled to the USHL games. Plus, Kearney seamed like a basketball town. The high school was in the state tourney in Omaha that weekend and it was all any of the locals would talk about. Plus UNK (the Lopers) were in the D-II National Tourney, and that seemed like a big deal down there (6000 seat barn)

*****http://cache.virtualtourist.com/4/2799236-INSIDE_THE_HEALTH_AND_SPORTS_CENTER_Kearney.jpg******
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Did you ever consider the smaller schools voted along with UND and Denver to avoid being seen as not like minded? All while they are plotting to leave anyways?

You tossed us overboard and now you're criticizing how we how swim.

There's going to be bad blood over this for years... And nothing any of the 3 conferences does will ever compare to the money maker that was the Final Five. No one wins here.

That said the Alaska rule is complete and utter BS. We're taking and guaranteeing an Alaska school a place at a tourney that will already have attendance woes? That is just dumb. No offense to the Alaskan fans.. but they aren't known for traveling.
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Lengthy article in the Anchorage rag today about the Alaska pairing. Cobb had some choice words about it. Also mentions that UAA will have a heftier financial burden on travel, and the 2015 F5 will be at the X.

http://www.adn.com/2012/06/16/250797...n-playoff.html
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        Lengthy article in the Anchorage rag today about the Alaska pairing. Cobb had some choice words about it. Also mentions that UAA will have a heftier financial burden on travel, and the 2015 F5 will be at the X.

Holy hell... Ferris State is the defending national champion? How drunk was I?

Out of the box idea... Why don't WCHA cities, lead by the Alaska schools, set up fundraisers and ask all the fans who find the idea of screwing playoff integrity appaling to pay for the trip.

And to Mavsfan, I was just pointing out that your comment that USHL cities do have quite a bit of connection to the WCHA. Wasn't saying it was an amazing idea, saying its not as crazy as you made it sound. I was thinking that the USHL lined up better geographically with the WCHA than it does when actually looking at all the cities.
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

At this point, I wish they would just agree on a format for the short term. It can be tweaked after trying it for a year or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

An 8-1 vote with UAA being the one. That means a) Forrest Karr is a bigger dbag than I thought and b) the Alaska schools are being used like I thought.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Of note: Forrest Karr works for NMU now, I don't know who submitted UAF's vote.

I've enjoyed Bronconick's posts because I've always felt that WMU's hockey program was very similar to NMU, and I've respected the opinions from most (if not all) WMU fans even after the NCHC fiasco. If only the Whioux and Pios fans were as gracious with their opinions.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                An 8-1 vote with UAA being the one. That means a) Forrest Karr is a bigger dbag than I thought and b) the Alaska schools are being used like I thought.
                                A. What was he supposed to do, vote against his new employer?

B. Yes.
                                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                                X