Debunking the Myth – Who you play has a huge impact on attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debunking the Myth – Who you play has a huge impact on attendance

For those of you who still think fans won’t show up unless you are playing a “premium name” team I present excerpts from a North Dakota press release issued today:

“UND's average home attendance of 11,341 fans per game ranked second nationally behind only Wisconsin's 11,772.9.”

“The Sioux played in front of two of the five largest crowds in program history when 12,065 turned out to watch a 1-1 overtime tie with Michigan Tech on Feb. 18, and 12,029 witnessed a 3-0 win over Minnesota State in the regular season finale on March 3. Those two crowds ranked as the fourth and fifth-largest in program history.

Hmmm... Seems like there isn't any problem at all playing "no-name" programs according to those numbers. If the fans don't show up in your building, maybe they just don't care about the HOME team?

Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Re: Debunking the Myth – Who you play has a huge impact on attendance

nice. large. sample.
    great indepth reporting.
    How about using a team that doesn't rank 2nd in attendence.
    One of those games was the final home game. I bet you would find all final home games for the und are well attended.
    And yes maybe the large amount of a population want to see a top flight opponent when their team isn't doing that well. MSU season tickets dropped this summer when the schedule came out and there was no UM on it. Conference reallignment probably played a role as well. Two games attendence gleened from one teams schedule one year does not debunk anything.

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
      Conference reallignment probably played a role as well.
      Huh. I didn't realize that changes to the 2013-14 schedule affected the ticket sales for the 2011-12 season.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        For those of you who still think fans won’t show up unless you are playing a “premium name” team I present excerpts from a North Dakota press release issued today:

“UND's average home attendance of 11,341 fans per game ranked second nationally behind only Wisconsin's 11,772.9.”

“The Sioux played in front of two of the five largest crowds in program history when 12,065 turned out to watch a 1-1 overtime tie with Michigan Tech on Feb. 18, and 12,029 witnessed a 3-0 win over Minnesota State in the regular season finale on March 3. Those two crowds ranked as the fourth and fifth-largest in program history.

Hmmm... Seems like there isn't any problem at all playing "no-name" programs according to those numbers. If the fans don't show up in your building, maybe they just don't care about the HOME team?

Ryan J
        UMD's best attended home game in program history was against CC.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Super Insightful

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            UMD's best attended home game in program history was against CC.
            First game of the new arena?
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              I think umd fans would like to forget who opened their new barn...

Comment

nice. large. sample.
                great indepth reporting.
                One of those games was the final home game. I bet you would find all final home games for the und are well attended.
                And yes maybe the large amount of a population want to see a top flight opponent when their team isn't doing that well. MSU season tickets dropped this summer when the schedule came out and there was no UM on it. Conference reallignment probably played a role as well. Two games attendence gleened from one teams schedule one year does not debunk anything.
                Well, historically, DU and CC have the lowest attendance for MSU-M each time they come to Kato. For many schools it depends on who you play, but not necessarily the level of competition. Not saying that's consistent throughout all of college hockey, just the case for one middling team.
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

nice. large. sample.
                  great indepth reporting.
                  Two games attendence gleened from one teams schedule one year does not debunk anything.
                  The entire history of UND hockey, I would say that is a fairly large sample. It shouldn't matter what team you use for the analysis because it is a relative comparison between teams that come into a given team's barn. My point is, if the team you're playing matters then I would expect all of the top 20 attended games at UND would be against Minnesota, Denver, Duluth, etc (their rivals). Correct?
                  The fact that Tech and Mankato make the top five tells me that UND fans will go watch UND play anyone, and that was the point of this post. They don't just show up when a "premium team" comes to town and stay home when they play a bottom-feeder. And while this may not hold true for your team then that means to me that the fans are there to see the visitors, not the home team. Well what kind of fans are they if they are not there to see the home team?
                  Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    Nope, but it was the last regular season game of the year:

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/11...s/mcc_mnd1.f25

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                    I think UND fans would like to forget who opened their barn....

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/01...s/mminndk1.o05

It's too bad UND couldn't play themselves in their arena opener...
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Myth debunked. Now that we've settled this can we all pool the resources we were gonna use debating this topic and get the NCAA video game on X Box, PS whatever they're up to and the Wii?
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                        A: UND

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          I think UND fans would like to forget who opened their barn....

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/01...s/mminndk1.o05

It's too bad UND couldn't play themselves in their arena opener...
                          On the plus side at least in their arena opener UND remembered that the point of hockey is to score goals.
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

People whose business is creating attendance agree that publicity is the most important factor. If you can accept the conclusions of experts you might begin to appreciate how coverage by electronic media will replace posters on telephone poles and articles in the second section of local newspapers - and revolutionize finances in college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              On the plus side at least in their arena opener UND remembered that the point of hockey is to score goals.
                              I thought it was to break glass.
                              SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                              UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                              Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                              Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                              UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                              UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X