NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
    1. If this stuff bothers you so much, why do you bother reading and responding?
    2. I disn't use the word "greatest," but perhaps "most successful" is more accurate.
    3. Speaking of most successful and football, there is no doubt that they are the most successful team in NFL history, but there's also no doubt that try have the least likeable fanbase in the NFL ...but I digress
    It doesn't bother me. I just don't understand people's need to quantify greatness.

Comment

Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      whooooooooosh
      So wait, you made a point and someone took it in a radically different direction?

No WAY!

Comment

I just don't understand people's need to quantify greatness.

Seriously? YOU are going to say that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Seriously? YOU are going to say that?
          Yes. I don't believe I have ever tried to quantify greatness. It's a very subjective term.

For instance, in my opinion your favorite program pales in all things that make my favorite program unique, significant, and great. But that's just the opinion of myself and many others. You are fully entitled to believe your plug-and-play program is neat-o if you'd like

Comment

And JDUBBS takes a dump in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              And JDUBBS takes a dump in another thread.
              And I think 95% of what you say is less than quality. Yet, I manage to go about my business without personally attacking you.

Comment

It doesn't bother me. I just don't understand people's need to quantify greatness.
                It's the offseason, and this is a discussion board. People are looking for things to discuss, and in that regard, this thread was a great success. If you disagree with the OP's methodology you could at least say why and propose a better one. If you think the whole endeavor is a waste of time, then why post at all? That is what I find truly hard to understand.
                #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                  It's the offseason, and this is a discussion board. People are looking for things to discuss, and in that regard, this thread was a great success. If you disagree with the OP's methodology you could at least say why and propose a better one. If you think the whole endeavor is a waste of time, then why post at all? That is what I find truly hard to understand.
                  You're right, this is the offseason, and this is a message board. I think my question was a fair one. And the reason I posted the question is because I am genuinely interested in answers to that question.

In your opinion, is there a way to put into a mathmatical formula every factor that makes a program great?

Comment

In your opinion, is there a way to put into a mathmatical formula every factor that makes a program great?
                    Obviously there's never going to be a perfect formula that pleases everyone. But I get a kick out of these threads anyway, and they always generate good debate. Considering that the OP never claimed his formula was perfect and posted it in order to generate critiques, it just strikes me as dumping on the discussion come in here and declare the whole endeavor a waste.
                    #OneKnight

Comment

Obviously there's never going to be a perfect formula that pleases everyone. But I get a kick out of these threads anyway, and they always generate good debate. Considering that the OP never claimed his formula was perfect and posted it in order to generate critiques, it just strikes me as dumping on the discussion come in here and declare the whole endeavor a waste.
                      Again, just my opinion. I have never claimed to have a monopoly on being right

Comment

And I think 95% of what you say is less than quality. Yet, I manage to go about my business without personally attacking you.
                        It's not a personal attack. If I said you were a jerkoff that would be a personal attack, but I would never say that. You can't worry every time someone doesn't genuflect before the M because that becomes a never-ending battle. For instance I think FS23's "Top Teams" ranking severerly underrated the '02 Gophers relative to '01 UND, '06 UW and '04 UND (in fact, those 4 rankings are preposterous when you put the teams' accoplishments side by side) but I think I made one comment, maybe two at the time it came out, said ok and moved on. Not trying to tell you what to do just offering a friendly suggestion.
                        Last edited by Slap Shot; 04-15-2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          It's not a personal attack. If I said you were a jerkoff that would be a personal attack, but I would never say that. You can't worry every time someone doesn't genuflect before the M because that becomes a never-ending battle. For instance I think FS23's "Top Teams" ranking severerly underrated the '02 Gophers relative to '01 UND, '06 UW and '04 UND (in fact, those 4 rankings are preposterous when you put the teams' accoplishments side by side) but I think I made one comment, maybe two at the time it came out, said ok and moved on. Look, no one can tell you what to do, but there have been friendly suggestions based upon the reactions your posts generate. Be proud of the Gophers, but do it without crapping on anyone else's program and leave that crap to fans like willythekid, socalsiouxfan and their ilk.
                          Ok, you've made my comments in here about the Gophers based on one reply I made to Gurt who was attacking me. Based on whom I was replying to and the nature of how he was treating me, I have no qualms about how I retorted.

The rest of my comments in this thread have had NOTHING to do with the Gophers. I am just trying to understand why people find the need to quantify greatness when, in my opinion, it is a fairly subjective thing.

I think it was a valid question and I have gotten some good answers. I have also gotten a bunch of the same old attacks on my very existence which I am trying to stay above.

So, for the last time, if you don't like what I have to say, please be an adult and respectfully disagree with me, or ignore my posts. You do not have the right to tell me what I can and cannot say.

Comment

Again, just my opinion. I have never claimed to have a monopoly on being right
                            For the record, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who believes it is possible to exactly quantify greatness with a single perfect formula. But that doesn't mean it isn't fun to try anyway. Maybe that is what bothers me: not that you are asking questions, but you are asking an unnecessary question, since all these formulas are posted with the caveat that they are just one person's opinion.
                            #OneKnight

Comment

For the record, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who believes it is possible to exactly quantify greatness with a single perfect formula. But that doesn't mean it isn't fun to try anyway. Maybe that is what bothers me: not that you are asking questions, but you are asking an unnecessary question, since all these formulas are posted with the caveat that they are just one person's opinion.
                              Point taken. Thank you for responding nicely.

Comment

You're right, this is the offseason, and this is a message board. I think my question was a fair one. And the reason I posted the question is because I am genuinely interested in answers to that question.

Slap Shot was right. You take a dump in every thread. Every thread you post in becomes about the same thing. Everyone is tired of it. If you don't care for the topic being discussed, move along.
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X