Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
    I think that Brock Hall was not a college hockey team. The AAU was a national amateur tournament, not a college tournament. College teams are, of course, amateur (technically) and Minnesota just happened to play in, and win, that tournament in 1940.
    Brock Hall was a company team full of amateurs (think rec league softball). Brock Hall's actual name was Brock-Hall Dairy Milkmen. Brock-Hall Dairy was a company in Connecticut (not sure if it still exists). Back at that time, there were a lot of these company teams full of amateurs that would play college teams, as there were just not all that many college teams, and travel was near impossible, so filling a schedule was extremely difficult. Somehow, the Milkmen (yes, I'm serious) gained entry into the AAU tournament, and lost to the Gophers cementing their place in history.

That being said, the 1940 Gophers are not really relevant to this thread (about NCAA era accomplishments). They were almost assuredly the best team during the 1939-1940 season, and it is too bad that the NCAA wasn't around a decade earlier to see how they would have fared in the NCAA Tournament. As we all know, the best team often fails to win the title...just ask Brendan Morrison.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Brock Hall was a company team full of amateurs (think rec league softball). Brock Hall's actual name was Brock-Hall Dairy Milkmen. Brock-Hall Dairy was a company in Connecticut (not sure if it still exists). Back at that time, there were a lot of these company teams full of amateurs that would play college teams, as there were just not all that many college teams, and travel was near impossible, so filling a schedule was extremely difficult. Somehow, the Milkmen (yes, I'm serious) gained entry into the AAU tournament, and lost to the Gophers cementing their place in history.

That being said, the 1940 Gophers are not really relevant to this thread (about NCAA era accomplishments). They were almost assuredly the best team during the 1939-1940 season, and it is too bad that the NCAA wasn't around a decade earlier to see how they would have fared in the NCAA Tournament. As we all know, the best team often fails to win the title...just ask Brendan Morrison.
      The best team has only won it all 5 times by my count
      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

You're right, the best team doesn't always win. But sometimes there is a team that is so much better than everyone else that it is truely almost a foregone conclusion. The Gophers truely deserved to be called champions that year, and I am glad that team is honored with a banner at Mariucci.

Comment

That being said, the 1940 Gophers are not really relevant to this thread (about NCAA era accomplishments).
          Thank you FS23, this is the kind of answer I was hoping for when I asked about Brock Hall. Nice little oddity from hockey history.
          NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
            The best team has only won it all 5 times by my count
            Really? name them.
            "My greatest achievement."
            Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
              Really? name them.
              Minnesota. Duh. They were the best team plus they had tradition!
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                Minnesota. Duh. They were the best team plus they had tradition!
                This is the first time i've heard of them.
                "My greatest achievement."
                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                  I mean why even waste the time creating a mathmatical formula to rank programs? There are subjective factors that cannot be quantitated mathmatically.
                  I don't want to pile on, but i can't help myself. This is just a colossally dumb thing to say.

PEOPLE USE STATISTICS BECAUSE THEY ELIMINATE OPINION/SUBJECTIVITY. They give us something other than arguments to actually PROVE something. You don't like that because Minnesota isn't the best if you use numbers.

I know SCSU isn't the best or most successful program. They aren't even in the top 20. They are my favorite, though. I can live with it. You can't. It's sad.
                  Originally posted by SJHovey
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  Originally posted by Brenthoven
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                    I don't want to pile on, but i can't help myself. This is just a colossally dumb thing to say.

PEOPLE USE STATISTICS BECAUSE THEY ELIMINATE OPINION/SUBJECTIVITY. They give us something other than arguments to actually PROVE something. You don't like that because Minnesota isn't the best if you use numbers.

I know SCSU isn't the best or most successful program. They aren't even in the top 20. They are my favorite, though. I can live with it. You can't. It's sad.
                    I think the question of "greatest program ever" is a very subjective thing. We all value different things. Everyone values national championships, but IMO there are other factors you cannot quantify that make a program great. And choosing which stats/numbers to use and which not to use essentially makes even using numbers a subjective exercise.

And if you don't understand something, is it not ok to ask questions to try and understand? I don't understand the need by people to quantify greatness when it is largely a subjective topic.
                    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 04-15-2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I think the question of "greatest program ever" is a very subjective thing. We all value different things. Everyone values national championships, but IMO there are other factors you cannot quantify that make a program great. And choosing which stats/numbers to use and which not to use essentially makes even using numbers a subjective exercise.

And if you don't understand something, is it not ok to ask questions to try and understand? I don't understand the need by people to quantify greatness when it is largely a subjective topic.
                      It is okay to ask questions, but yours isn't a question that anyone can answer. You obviously aren't going to understand. He made his own system for ranking teams and reported the results. He never said that the results should be taken as gospel. It is just a conversation starter.

The attempt to quantify greatness is to attempt to eliminate the subjectivity. If I think the Vikings are better than the Packers and another person disagrees, naturally you would go to the team's record and use that as a starting point for an argument. Same thing here. Without statistics, the argument never evolves beyond "my team is better", "no MY team is better".
                      Originally posted by SJHovey
                      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                      Originally posted by Brenthoven
                      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                        It is okay to ask questions, but yours isn't a question that anyone can answer. You obviously aren't going to understand. He made his own system for ranking teams and reported the results. He never said that the results should be taken as gospel. It is just a conversation starter.

The attempt to quantify greatness is to attempt to eliminate the subjectivity. If I think the Vikings are better than the Packers and another person disagrees, naturally you would go to the team's record and use that as a starting point for an argument. Same thing here. Without statistics, the argument never evolves beyond "my team is better", "no MY team is better".
                        Using your example, isn't part of what makes the Packers special the fact that they are the only publicly owned professional sports teams in the country, that they have a LONG season ticket waiting list, and that they have a lengthy history that pre-dates Super Bowls?

Even if the Vikings (whom I'm a fan of too) had as many Super Bowl wins/appearances as the Packers, I still think I'd have a hard time calling the Vikings the greater franchise.

Comment

Using your example, isn't part of what makes the Packers special the fact that they are the only publicly owned professional sports teams in the country, that they have a LONG season ticket waiting list, and that they have a lengthy history that pre-dates Super Bowls?

Even if the Vikings (whom I'm a fan of too) had as many Super Bowl wins/appearances as the Packers, I still think I'd have a hard time calling the Vikings the greater franchise.
                          12 > 0

Add the tradition modifier to that and I'd have to suggest contraction.

Also - 4 > 0 in case we only want to talk Super Bowls and 2 > 0 in case we only want to talk my lifetime and 1 > 0 if we only want to talk last decade. For the record, Vikings fans brought up football.

Oh yeah and 4 on the Packers > 4 on the Queens. Anybody still wearing those jerseys?
                          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-15-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I'm trying to be sincere. I understand my viewpoints aren't popular.
                            I think you sell yourself short. I'd replace the bolded with "universally scorned, pointed at and laughed at."

Comment

Originally posted by gurtholfin View Post
                              12 > 0

add the tradition modifier to that and i'd have to suggest contraction.

also - 4 > 0 in case we only want to talk super bowls and 2 > 0 in case we only want to talk my lifetime and 1 > 0 if we only want to talk last decade. For the record, vikings fans brought up football.

oh yeah and 4 on the packers > 4 on the queens. Anybody still wearing those jerseys?
                              whooooooooosh

Comment

1. If this stuff bothers you so much, why do you bother reading and responding?
                                2. I disn't use the word "greatest," but perhaps "most successful" is more accurate.
                                3. Speaking of most successful and football, there is no doubt that they are the most successful team in NFL history, but there's also no doubt that they have the least likeable fanbase in the NFL ...but I digress
                                Last edited by HumRsky; 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM.
                                SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                                UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                                Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                                Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                                UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                                UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X