NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

I mean why even waste the time creating a mathmatical formula to rank programs? There are subjective factors that cannot be quantitated mathmatically. Just seems like a waste of time to me, but to each their own.

And it has nothing to do with Minnesota not being ranked number one. I understand the criteria being used in these rankings and FS23's. Using those factors, Minnesota shouldn't be #1. We all value different things, which is fine. I just don't understand the need to creat such subjective rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      I mean why even waste the time creating a mathmatical formula to rank programs? There are subjective factors that cannot be quantitated mathmatically. Just seems like a waste of time to me, but to each their own.

And it has nothing to do with Minnesota not being ranked number one. I understand the criteria being used in these rankings and FS23's. Using those factors, Minnesota shouldn't be #1. We all value different things, which is fine. I just don't understand the need to creat such subjective rankings.
      Is tradition subjective?
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
        100 points for playing Brock Hall and a bonus 50 for beating them.
        Ignorant comment in my opinion. You act like it was 2012 and the Gophers were playing Brock Hall. Hockey was much different back then and Brock Hall made the championship over the likes of Michigan, Michigan Tech, Boston, Boston College, Yale, etc... so they couldn't have been that weak of an opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          Is tradition subjective?
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

interesting Harvard so high with only 1 NC but lots of conference titles , i like this good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              Is tradition subjective?
              I'm trying to be sincere. I understand my viewpoints aren't popular. I am trying to be open minded. Yes, there are subjective factors, in my opinion, that set some programs a part and make them special. And that doesn't just mean Minnesota, Michigan, etc...

Comment

People, including me, like looking at rankings and talking about them. If you don't, that's fine no one is forcing you to read threads where someone came up with a way of ranking teams.
                SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                UMD Men: 2011

Comment

I'm trying to be sincere. I understand my viewpoints aren't popular. I am trying to be open minded. Yes, there are subjective factors, in my opinion, that set some programs a part and make them special. And that doesn't just mean Minnesota, Michigan, etc...
                  You kind of have to understand how Clark Griswold looks at Christmas.

Comment

Ignorant comment in my opinion. You act like it was 2012 and the Gophers were playing Brock Hall. Hockey was much different back then and Brock Hall made the championship over the likes of Michigan, Michigan Tech, Boston, Boston College, Yale, etc... so they couldn't have been that weak of an opponent.
                    The problem is Brock Hall didn't make the championship game over the likes of Michigan...etc. Brock Hall got beat by Yale by a worse margin than the Gophers beat Brock Hall that season. Brock Hall was a .500 club that lost the majority of its games against college competition. No other college team played in that AAU Tournament...why Gopher fans regard it as a College National Championship is beyond me.
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      The problem is Brock Hall didn't make the championship game over the likes of Michigan...etc. Brock Hall got beat by Yale by a worse margin than the Gophers beat Brock Hall that season. Brock Hall was a .500 club that lost the majority of its games against college competition. No other college team played in that AAU Tournament...why Gopher fans regard it as a College National Championship is beyond me.
                      The way I understand it, they don't consider it a college hockey championship, however the AAU was a much more significant organization at that time and its title was indicative of the best Amateur team in the country. This is what I have "heard," not things I've read from reliable sources, so I don't know what exactly the truth is.
                      SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                      UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                      Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                      Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                      UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                      UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                        The way I understand it, they don't consider it a college hockey championship, however the AAU was a much more significant organization at that time and its title was indicative of the best Amateur team in the country. This is what I have "heard," not things I've read from reliable sources, so I don't know what exactly the truth is.
                        Somewhere in between. It's hard to say that it was indicative of the best amateur hockey at the time when teams like Yale never played in the tournament. If I were a Gopher fan, I would be far more proud of the undefeated season than winning the AAU title (and I know several Gopher fans that feel this way as well). Minnesota, from all accounts that I have found, was the best college hockey team in 1940. That being said, I find it sad that they raise a banner for an AAU title...raise the banner for the undefeated season if you feel you need to raise a banner.

Of course, I'm not in charge of those decision.

Either way, this is getting this thread wayyyyy too far off track. I like your formula for the most part, and I think it does a solid job of ranking teams based on their on-ice accomplishments, which is what I believe you were going for.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

True, but look at the Gophers record that season. They were undefeated. A perfect 18-0. They beat Yale twice, Illinois 4 times, Michigan Tech 4 times, and Michigan 4 times. The Gophers closest margin of victory was 3 goals. They dominated college hockey that season and diminishing that accomplishment is kinda weak IMO.

As for Brock Hall being a .500 team in the championship game. You saying we don't see upsets in today's game where lower seeded teams move on in the tournament. They were in the championship game, so I think they beat someone to get there.
                          Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 04-14-2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Somewhere in between. It's hard to say that it was indicative of the best amateur hockey at the time when teams like Yale never played in the tournament. If I were a Gopher fan, I would be far more proud of the undefeated season than winning the AAU title (and I know several Gopher fans that feel this way as well). Minnesota, from all accounts that I have found, was the best college hockey team in 1940. That being said, I find it sad that they raise a banner for an AAU title...raise the banner for the undefeated season if you feel you need to raise a banner.

Of course, I'm not in charge of those decision.

Either way, this is getting this thread wayyyyy too far off track. I like your formula for the most part, and I think it does a solid job of ranking teams based on their on-ice accomplishments, which is what I believe you were going for.
                            For me it isn't so much about "the banner" as it is about a remarkable, dominant season that people try to dismiss because it came what, 8 years, before NCAA hockey.

Comment

True, but look at the Gophers record that season. They were undefeated. A perfect 18-0. They beat Yale twice, Illinois 4 times, Michigan Tech 4 times, and Michigan 4 times. The Gophers closest margin of victory was 3 goals. They dominated college hockey that season and diminishing that accomplishment is kinda weak IMO.

As for Brock Hall being a .500 team in the championship game. You saying we don't see upsets in today's game where lower seeded teams move on in the tournament. They were in the championship game, so I think they beat someone to get there.
                              Illinois used fortune magazines for shinpads.

Comment

what is worse... wasting time by creating formulas to rank teams or wasting time by complaining about those formulas?
                                “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                                Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                                Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                                National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X