X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    Why?
    Because you would actually have to look at other programs besides Minnesota.

Good job HumRsky. I obviously had different weightings and looked at different things, but in just looking at team accomplishments this is a pretty good formula. These are always fun to do and look at how the results come out. Anyway, kudos, well done.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      With the tradition modifier Minnesota is #1.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Good job HumRsky. I obviously had different weightings and looked at different things, but in just looking at team accomplishments this is a pretty good formula. These are always fun to do and look at how the results come out. Anyway, kudos, well done.
        Thanks! Since you think about these things a lot harder than any of the rest of us, I was curious about your reaction. I appreciate the positive response.
        SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
        UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
        Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
        Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
        UMD Football: 2008, 2010
        UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
          Thanks! Since you think about these things a lot harder than any of the rest of us, I was curious about your reaction. I appreciate the positive response.
          You're welcome. Really, my only criticisms would be nit-picky type stuff (i.e. a championships won in 1948 was worth less (23 points) than a championship won in 2008 (25 points)). That and there are a few numbers that differ from what I have, but as for the formula, I think it works well especially from a relationship standpoint. Like I said before, I would have weighted things a tad differently, but that's just our differences of opinion. Again, I like the formula, and good job.
          North Dakota

Comment

You're welcome. Really, my only criticisms would be nit-picky type stuff (i.e. a championships won in 1948 was worth less (23 points) than a championship won in 2008 (25 points)). That and there are a few numbers that differ from what I have, but as for the formula, I think it works well especially from a relationship standpoint. Like I said before, I would have weighted things a tad differently, but that's just our differences of opinion. Again, I like the formula, and good job.
            I forgot to mention in my first post that I got my NCAA tournament numbers from the NCAA record book, and therefore did not include vacated years. I got my conference numbers from the College Hockey Historical Archive. My decision to include Ivy League and Tri-State Champioships from 1948-1961 may have given me some different numbers than you. I felt that teams in those conferences were very relevant at that time and that was the only conference those teams were in.
            Last edited by HumRsky; 04-14-2012, 11:08 AM.
            SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions

Comment

I forgot to mention in my first post that I got my NCAA tournament numbers from the NCAA record book, and therefore did not include vacated years. I got my conference numbers from the College Hockey Historical Archive. My decision to include Ivy League and Tri-State Champioships from 1949-1961 may have given me some different numbers than you. I felt that teams in those conferences were very relevant at that time and they were the only conference those teams were in.
              One thing I might suggest is to include the Big 10 champions from 1947-1948 until the creation of the MCHL (WCHA). Logically that seems to fit with what you were trying to do by including Ivy League and Tri-State Champions.

Also, I think some of the numbers from the NCAA record book are wrong. I believe Michigan only has 49 NCAA wins, while BC has 46. Plus, as you mentioned, the vacated years are not included (which hurts DU and Wisconsin, although just point wise, not ranking wise). I've been putting my numbers together for 3 years and still find mistakes (including one huge one in regards to DU this year), so it happens
              North Dakota

Comment

My sources have confirmed this is the formula that would be used in that situation: Tradition + Are you Minnesota? = Your ranking

By plugging in this mysterious formula I came up with:

#1 - Minnesota
                #58 - North Dakota
                #58 - Boston University
                #58 - Boston College
                #58 - Michigan
                #58 - Wisconsin
                #58 - Denver
                #58 - Michigan State
                #58 - Maine
                #58 - Michigan Tech
                #58 - Cornell
                #58 - Colorado College
                #58 - Lake Superior St.
                #58 - Rensselaer
                #58 - Harvard
                #58 - Clarkson
                #58 - Bowling Green
                #58 - New Hampshire
                #58 - Minnesota Duluth
                #58 - Northern Mich.
                #58 - St. Lawrence
                #58 - Miami
                #58 - Providence
                #58 - Notre Dame
                #58 - Dartmouth
                #58 - Yale
                #58 - Colgate
                #58 - Ferris State
                #58 - Northeastern
                #58 - Brown
                #58 - Ohio State
                #58 - Mass. Lowell
                #58 - Vermont
                #58 - Union
                #58 - St. Cloud St.
                #58 - Bemidji State
                #58 - Niagara
                #58 - Western Mich.
                #58 - RIT
                #58 - Air Force
                #58 - Princeton
                #58 - AK Anchorage
                #58 - Alaska
                #58 - Holy Cross
                #58 - Quinnipiac
                #58 - Massachusetts
                #58 - Merrimack
                #58 - Minnesota State
                #58 - Neb. Omaha
                #58 - Mercyhurst
                #58 - AL. Huntsville
                #58 - American Intern'l
                #58 - Army
                #58 - Connecticut
                #58 - Sacred Heart
                #58 - Robert Morris
                #58 - Canisius
                #58 -Bentley
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

One thing I might suggest is to include the Big 10 champions from 1947-1948 until the creation of the MCHL (WCHA). Logically that seems to fit with what you were trying to do by including Ivy League and Tri-State Champions.

Also, I think some of the numbers from the NCAA record book are wrong. I believe Michigan only has 49 NCAA wins, while BC has 46. Plus, as you mentioned, the vacated years are not included (which hurts DU and Wisconsin, although just point wise, not ranking wise). I've been putting my numbers together for 3 years and still find mistakes (including one huge one in regards to DU this year), so it happens
                  The B1G record book shows that hockey championships were awarded from 1958-59 until 1980-81, so always concurrent with some form of the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                    My sources have confirmed this is the formula that would be used in that situation: Tradition + Are you Minnesota? = Your ranking
                    I found one created by a North Dakota fan not named FS23 and it came up with this:

1. North Dakota
                    2. Holy Cross
                    A bunch of college hockey teams that may or may not exist
                    -infinity. Denver
                    -infinity x2. Minnesota
                    -infinity x3. Aaron Marvin

Comment

The B1G record book shows that hockey championships were awarded from 1958-59 until 1980-81, so always concurrent with some form of the WCHA.
                      Perhaps it is just the Gophers then that count "Big 10" titles from the 20s and 30s?
                      North Dakota

Comment

Perhaps it is just the Gophers then that count "Big 10" titles from the 20s and 30s?
                        Like that would ever happen.
                        "My greatest achievement."
                        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Couldn't tell ya

Comment

The only change I would make is adding 1 point for every game played at Mariucci or Williams arenas. That seems a reasonable measure of a program.
                            Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
                            Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

Where is the Rau multiplier dammit?

Comment

Originally posted by gopheritall View Post
                                The only change I would make is adding 1 point for every game played at Mariucci or Williams arenas. That seems a reasonable measure of a program.
                                100 points for playing Brock Hall and a bonus 50 for beating them.
                                "My greatest achievement."
                                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Working...
                                X