NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    wonderful comparison...so what were we talking about before all of this sidetracking?
    The glory and pre-eminence of the Gopher hockey program.

Perhaps you've heard of John Mariucci?

If not, you should know that he, and him alone, is responsible for the entire known hockey universe.

And rainbows, kittens and federal holidays.

Just sayin...

Comment

• Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
      The glory and pre-eminence of the Gopher hockey program.

Perhaps you've heard of John Mariucci?

If not, you should know that he, and him alone, is responsible for the entire known hockey universe.

And rainbows, kittens and federal holidays.

Just sayin...
      Yes, you clearly want to get back on track

Comment

• Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

For those who are interested in such things, the first rounds of the 2012 Poser of the Year election are now underway in the Cafe - Polls section.

I mention it here because JDUBBS1280 apparently is a worthy candidate and appears to be ready to assume the mantle from Old Pio.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          For those who are interested in such things, the first rounds of the 2012 Poser of the Year election are now underway in the Cafe - Polls section.

I mention it here because JDUBBS1280 apparently is a worthy candidate and appears to be ready to assume the mantle from Old Pio.

While Dubbie would be an excellent candidate, doesn't one have to be in the top 100 in total posts to be eligible?

He'll get there some day. He's building an excellent resume.

That is if OP doesn't just get to keep it for lifetime achievement.

Comment

Clearly it's Quinnipiac. You can close the thread now.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
              Yes, I'm sure you'd hold back if there was a discussion of similar nature regarding the NFL on a board you frequent. For some reason I utterly doubt that. Just like you refrain from throwing out the 6>5 here.
              Because he knows I will throw out the 2 is greater than 0 comment. Lol
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

It's strange the unavoidable conclusion that Minnesota is the heart and soul of college hockey does not carry over to Minnesota NHL hockey. I suppose this results from the Wild's polluting of pure Minnesota stock with geographically inferior players - even furriners.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                  It's strange the unavoidable conclusion that Minnesota is the heart and soul of college hockey does not carry over to Minnesota NHL hockey. I suppose this results from the Wild's polluting of pure Minnesota stock with geographically inferior players - even furriners.
                  It did until the North Stars went away. The Mild.... that is another story.
                  - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                  Go you Green and White
                  Go Bemidji Beavers
                  Fight with all your might!
                  Rah! Rah! Rah!
                  We are here to cheer you
                  We are out to win your fame,
                  So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                  Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                    Funny thing is, this all started because I made a simple post about there being imeasurable factors that should contribute to what makes a program great and was challenged over and over.

It's my opinion. One that I firmly believe in and bet many other people do too. All said, I am sure each and every person here is delighted by how much USA Hockey has grown in this country, and whether or not they want to admit it know that some of the tough decisions the University of Minnesota made very early on and have had the resolution and determination to stick with played a big factor in that growth.

If you didn't agree that these immeasurable factors should be a factor in a team's greatness, you should have just politely agreed to disagree instead of engaging in the discussion.

Yet, the group think on this board to fight the reality that Minnesota's recruiting philosophies have had any other meaning or impact other than just "Minnesota being provincial" is so strong that any time the subject is brought up it is met with an unequivocal attack on the poster.

It's just discussion. If you disagree, then disagree. But the lengths that some go to in order to "disprove" that Minnesota's recruiting philosophies have had any meaningful impact on USA or college hockey is disappointing. Especially when it comes from fellow Gopher fans.
                    Hey look you have done a great job making your point but this is a college hockey message board for everybody. Many of them will never ever ever care about gopher hockey to bad for them but you made your point and move on. You are not going to be able to change their minds. Just trying to help.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      Hey look you have done a great job making your point but this is a college hockey message board for everybody. Many of them will never ever ever care about gopher hockey to bad for them but you made your point and move on. You are not going to be able to change their minds. Just trying to help.
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Is Dubbers the dope, or should that label belong to those that keep trying to reason with him?

Ahem.

Comment

Knowing that Minnesota won a title with an in-state roster has about the same meaning for me as if some team had won one with a roster of players whose last names were all in the first half of the alphabet - simply an answer to a trivia question.

Also note that the question asked of Campbell was the best thing to happen to USA hockey, not the best accomplishment by an NCAA team. If not one single American had ever played NCAA hockey, the accomplishments of NCAA hockey teams would have been exactly the same - 65 NCAA titles won, 260 frozen four appearances made, (approximately) 200 conference titles won, etc.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Ahem.

I feel bad when I disappoint you.

Wise men never argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Knowing that Minnesota won a title with an in-state roster has about the same meaning for me as if some team had won one with a roster of players whose last names were all in the first half of the alphabet - simply an answer to a trivia question.
                              Kind of agree. As a hockey fan growing up here it's inspiring and imho it's a very unique and cool accomplishment, but I didn't feel any less proud in '02 and '03 then in the 70's. Moreso I don't find it a reason to puff my chest, overplay its importance nor try to disparage the dozen or so other programs that have had great success all their own. I think that's where these JDUBB loses everyone. Celebrate, don't denigrate or something like that.

Gurt, all good my friend.

Comment

This discussion has completely changed my thinking. I'm repainting my blue and white M in maroon and gold. Minnesota is the new team of my dreams and will be forevermore held in reverence in my heart. Their accomplishments, philosophies, achievements, joie-de-vivre, and outlook of doing what is best for the greater good as they put their own goals to the side are so superior to the rest of college hockey - and not only all hockey, but the whole of the sports world - that I now declare myself a Gopher fan!! Glory to Mariucci! And curses on Glienke, as a home-grown finalist for Mr. Hockey in the Center of the Hockey Universe for committing to Maine, the second finalist in two years. May his shorts be infested by the offspring of a thousand mosquitos.
                                Last edited by UncleRay; 03-02-2013, 08:59 AM.
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X