Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Originally posted by burd View Post
    It's settled then: 6>5. Or, to put it another way, 5<6.

Ergo 7>>5 and, of course 5<<7.

And logically then Fido Purpur >John Mariucci and Bob Johnson > John Mariucci.

Most likely Fido Purpur = Bob Johnson

Most important, UMinn tradition of winning fewer championships > lot of schools
    Oh, so when John taught Bob every thing he ever knew about hockey, instead of some random Canadian, it was a good thing. How much credit does John deserve for this? Does Bob even become a hockey coach if he doesn't play for John at Minnesota.
    Last edited by Happy; 02-28-2013, 06:47 PM.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy View Post
      Oh, so when John taught Bob every thing he ever knew about hockey, instead of some random Canadian, it was a good thing. How much credit does John deserve for this? Does Bob even become a hockey coach if he doesn't play for John at Minnesota.
      You give burd too much credit. He didn't know Bob played under John, or that John encouraged him to get into coaching.

"Mariucci strongly encouraged Johnson to build the University of Wisconsin program from within the state, envisioning that Wisconsin could develop a high school network to rival Minnesota's, if Wisconsin youngsters grew up with the objective of playing for the Badgers."

"Instead, Johnson couldn't resist more instant success by following other U.S. college coaches to Western Canada's recruiting ground, where he could cultivate the same connections he had developed at Colorado College."

"Forty years later, Wisconsin's high school program is pretty good with a strong team or two, but not nearly as deep or broad as it could have been if it had adapted Mariucci's vision."

Link to Read
      Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
        Full Quote:

"Clarence Campbell, the learned and colorful commissioner of the National Hockey League, had been invited to be the guest speaker [at US Hockey Hall of Fame game]. Campbell was well attuned to the scarcity of U.S. players in pro hockey, and he blamed U.S. colleges for failing to develop U.S. players."

"American sports of all kinds are associated with institutions, and they offer a great deal to be commended for, such as discipline, good facilities, and coaching," said Campbell. "Regrettably, from what I've seen, a high percentage of college players were not Americans. They were young men recruited from Canada, which means U.S. college hockey has limited the development of American Hockey".

Mr. Campbell went on to say, "The Midwest Junior Hockey League and the University of Minnesota winning the NCAA championship with an all-American team were the biggest accomplishments for U.S. hockey".

Link to Read Quote

While this certainly may have been Mr. Cambell's most heartfelt opinion, to give some context: Campbell, himself a Canadian, was speaking prior to a UMD - UM matchup in a room more than half full of Gophers who had just won the referenced title the season before at the time of this quote.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post

By that logic, YOU guys are to blame for Eaves.

I'll never understand why anyone would argue against an obvious joke.

Comment

To carry it further, does Herb ever win the '80 gold without Bob's son carrying the scoring load?

It's the circle of life!
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              While this certainly may have been Mr. Cambell's most heartfelt opinion, to give some context: Campbell, himself a Canadian, was speaking prior to a UMD - UM matchup in a room more than half full of Gophers who had just won the referenced title the season before at the time of this quote.
              Before the US Hall of Fame game. USA Hockey certainly didn't dispute his comments.
              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 02-28-2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I don't know quite what to say. Tied a piece of shoe leather to a string out of boredom and threw it in to see if a bullhead might come along and I get a you, Happy? You're a trout at least, aren't you? You don't belong in this ditchwater.

Comment

To carry it further, does Herb ever win the '80 gold without Bob's son carrying the scoring load?

It's the circle of life!
                  Mark wasn't even the best player on that team. Brooks regarded Pavelich as the best player on that team.

And Bob learned from John, then taught Mark (who was birn in MN also by the way), so by your reasoning Mark should be thanking John for teaching Bob so Bob could teach him

Comment

Before the US Hall of Fame game. US Hockey certainly didn't dispute his comments.
                    Well, I'll give you that John Gilbert didn't dispute this quote, as he provided it. But for all we know US hockey had him killed for saying this very thing. Mr. Campbell was dead just a few years later.
                    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 02-28-2013, 07:12 PM.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

OK OK Can we at least agree on this. Those John Mariucci inflatable dolls are awesome the way they can take a beating and still hold air. The guy's a SAVAGE!

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        I don't know quite what to say. Tied a piece of shoe leather to a string out of boredom and threw it in to see if a bullhead might come along and I get a you, Happy? You're a trout at least, aren't you? You don't belong in this ditchwater.

I hope you had the drag set right, just in case.

Comment

Well, I'll give you that John Gilbert didn't dispute this quote, as he provided it. But for all we know US hockey had him killed for saying this very thing. Mr. Campbell was dead just a few years later.
                          USA Hockey never disputed it either. Unless you have proof otherwise? Is everyone at USA Hockey dead too?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            I hope you had the drag set right, just in case.
                            No. I was so surprised he ran the whole spool out before I knew what was happening. Real fish don't even eat that kind of shat.

Comment

USA Hockey never disputed it either. Unless you have proof otherwise? Is everyone at USA Hockey dead too?
                              I merely stated we don't know if they disputed it. Along with the possibility they committed murder over it. I have no evidence of either. I wouldn't be hiding it for 30 years if I did.

As far as them being dead-- No. At least not yet. Suicide at learning the greatest accomplishment was the '74 Gopher title may be a concern.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I merely stated we don't know if they disputed it. Along with the possibility they committed murder over it. I have no evidence of either. I wouldn't be hiding it for 30 years if I did.

As far as them being dead-- No. At least not yet. Suicide at learning the greatest accomplishment was the '74 Gopher title may be a concern.
                                Well, get back to us if you find something. Until then, I'm considering the Commish's words to be genuine.

Praise be to Mariucci.

Comment

Working...
                                X