Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    Mike: I'm guessing no Lamacchia because Brown was manhandled physically without Hathaway on Friday and Whittet decided he needed some sort of enforcer. So Siers stepped in. Lamacchia has not been very effective lately anyway.
    Siers played that role well!!

Comment

Originally posted by TimV View Post
      First, Congratulations on a great season. Your fans have been through a lot of tough years, and it's good for the Ivies and the ECAC when Brown is strong.

Your blog says Cornell's School of Agriculture and Life Sciences ("the Aggie school" in your blog) "is an advantage versus the other Ivies they have an arguably unfair recruiting advantage over other Ivy League schools in that they can offer athletes admission to the agricultural school."

It is, but not for the easy curriculum reasons implied. Because it is one of the Land Grant State divisions, it allows state residents admission at State tuition rates, and that certainly is an advantage for 5 of the 27 on the roster.

It is mostly an advantage for the quality of the education available there, most notably the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management, ranked in the top 5 in the country. 10 of Cornell's Hockey players are enrolled in this school, which admits less than 10% of applicants. It's also popular for pre-med, but only an occasional hockey player goes that route. And of course, Cornell offers athletes (and non athletes) admission to Arts and Sciences, Engineering, and others.

That may be Cornell's true recruiting advantage - a diversity of offerings for when athletics is over.

Good Luck against Clarkson - get as many Ivies as possible into the next round.
      I think it's more a matter of being able to accept students with lower grades, rather than an easy curriculum at Cornell. I don't know the statistics, but I think it's fair to say that several of the student-athletes in the SALS, throughout all Cornell sports, would not have been admitted to some of Cornell's more prestigious programs.

My overall point was to compare Cornell with the Yankees in that CU has an advantage over the other Ivies through its SALS school, while the Yankees have an advantage over the MLB because they have more money than everyone else. Perhaps it's not the most fair or equivalent analogy, since I assume the SALS program is still remarkably rigorous, but I think the fact that Cornell does have this distinct advantage is something that must be pointed out.

Thanks for your class- a lot of the more snarky or irritable fans might have resorted to name-calling had they read that blog, but I appreciated reading the statistics you chose to prove your point. It is certainly commendable that 10 Big Red hockey players are in the Economics and Management school, which is one of the premier programs in the country.

Best of luck to you as well, though I'd rather not have to face Cornell again this season.

Comment

Harry Z's latest:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...games/1960579/

On my way to Providence yesterday, I was listening to the Flyers' game on NHL radio network. When Harry made the hit, the announcer said it was the hardest check he had seen in a long time. He added that it did not appear to be a dirty one.

When the suspension is over, I am looking forward to Volpatti v. Harry Z on March 31 on TV.

Comment

Hey Brown fans --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NcOHdV6CI
          Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
            Harry Z's latest:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...games/1960579/

On my way to Providence yesterday, I was listening to the Flyers' game on NHL radio network. When Harry made the hit, the announcer said it was the hardest check he had seen in a long time. He added that it did not appear to be a dirty one.

When the suspension is over, I am looking forward to Volpatti v. Harry Z on March 31 on TV.
            This was posted two pages ago, they showed the angle tonight on TV where he left his feet to make the hit
            Last edited by LTsatch; 03-03-2013, 08:30 PM.
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              This was posted two pages ago, they showed the angle tonight on TV where he left his feet to make the hit, it really was a blindside hip to balls hit, he is so short he had no choice but to leap to reach the cojones on the guy. lol
              And Adam Oates blamed his own guy haha

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

No love for Bruno in the ECAC blog. I boo this man.

http://www.uscho.com/ecac-blog/2013/...eason-finales/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                  And Adam Oates blamed his own guy haha
                  different incident.
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    different incident.
                    I was linking the two. Oates all but exonerated Harry for the hit by saying his own guy made the mistake. Then this happened. Proved ole Oatesy wrong. Guess Harry was going for the kill shot there too.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/...at-meehan.html

March Madness is back at Meehan!

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                        No love for Bruno in the ECAC blog. I boo this man.

http://www.uscho.com/ecac-blog/2013/...eason-finales/

What is wrong with Sullivan? He's been slighting Brown for quite some time. Isn't he the same Brian Sullivan who used to attend games in person and was a diehard fan? It's a common enough name; I could be wrong.

The heck with him. I'd rather read KDiff's blog anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          This was posted two pages ago, they showed the angle tonight on TV where he left his feet to make the hit
                          There are 2 Harry Z incidents. This one occurred on Saturday and is not the one that you are referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                            Good post. I think you are right on the money with your observation that Brown has a scorer, albeit several of them who on any day will score, that is complementing Lorito.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                              There are 2 Harry Z incidents. This one occurred on Saturday and is not the one that you are referring to.
                              I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification, they were both cheap hits. Funny thing is, that is the kind of stuff that will keep him on an NHL bench.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                                What is wrong with Sullivan? He's been slighting Brown for quite some time. Isn't he the same Brian Sullivan who used to attend games in person and was a diehard fan? It's a common enough name; I could be wrong.

The heck with him. I'd rather read KDiff's blog anyway.
                                He was a huge supporter back when Brown was a total mess in the last few years of Grillo. Now that there's hope on College Hill? Not so much. Maybe he just loves the overwhelming underdog.

Comment

Working...
                                X