Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Disappointing result from a game which Brown seemed to control. Cornell was lock-tight defensively, and though Brown had possession in the offensive zone for most of the game, very little came of it. The defense and Borelli played their C game, and, accordingly, got torched by an opportunistic Cornell team that was content to play the neutral zone trap and passively cycle the puck in the offensive zone after going up 2-0 in the first period.

We really missed the play of Garnet Hathaway tonight. Cornell played a very physical game and muscled Brown off the puck constantly. Despite their tremendous efforts, smaller guys like Nick Lappin and Mark Naclerio were simply overmatched physically. Zaires tried to provide some physical play, but he was one of the only forwards able to impose himself on the hulking Cornell defenders.

I'll have a blog post later tonight. There's plenty to discuss regarding this game and tomorrow's do-or-die tilt with Colgate.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
      Disappointing result from a game which Brown seemed to control. Cornell was lock-tight defensively, and though Brown had possession in the offensive zone for most of the game, very little came of it. The defense and Borelli played their C game, and, accordingly, got torched by an opportunistic Cornell team that was content to play the neutral zone trap and passively cycle the puck in the offensive zone after going up 2-0 in the first period.

We really missed the play of Garnet Hathaway tonight. Cornell played a very physical game and muscled Brown off the puck constantly. Despite their tremendous efforts, smaller guys like Nick Lappin and Mark Naclerio were simply overmatched physically. Zaires tried to provide some physical play, but he was one of the only forwards able to impose himself on the hulking Cornell defenders.

I'll have a blog post later tonight. There's plenty to discuss regarding this game and tomorrow's do-or-die tilt with Colgate.
      Hathaway was the single biggest miss in the lineup today, but here is my take on the disappointment(s):

1. Borelli was not great, and two of the goals were ones that should have been cleared.
      2. The pipe hit by Lorito was signs of the Grillo years. No matter what happened, the hockey gods were conspiring against the result. Unlike last week, when the Zaires goal got waived off and the team rallied, we gave up the third goal just a couple of minutes later.
      3. Somehow, we're a point out with one to play. Unfortunately, I think Cornell has the tiebreak with us. Best case, Union smashes Clarkson, the Bears take care of Colgate, and Brown's at home next weekend. Otherwise, it's a road trip I don't think many of us are taking - to either Ithaca or Potsdam. What does help is that Colgate was possibly demoralized tonight, rallying to tie Yale only to lose in overtime.

Best case, we're in 7th. Worst case, 10th. Either way, it looks like we're playing Clarkson, Cornell, or Princeton - I don't think it could be any other way at this point.

Comment

Also disappointing- the stands. The Brown band arrived about ten minutes before game time. The students trickled in halfway through the first period and were reticent at best. I guess they had better things to do on a Friday night. Must have been protest night on the Main Green. Or something like that.

Comment

BrunoFan, I actually touched on many of your points in the blog I just posted. We seem to be in agreement about tonight's game and tomorrow's prospects.

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/...4-brown-1.html

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            BrunoFan, I actually touched on many of your points in the blog I just posted. We seem to be in agreement about tonight's game and tomorrow's prospects.

Thanks for the compliments and keep up the good work. Really enjoyed reading your blog!
            Let's Go Red!

Comment

I didn't make it to Meehan today, as work responsibilities precluded my attendance for the master motivator's latest work of art. I get the sense that the Bears were all over Colgate for 60 minutes. I wonder who had Goldberg, Harlow, Crowley, and Hourihan on their pre-game score sheet, particularly after a couple of those guys were downright invisible against Cornell.

I'm presuming that Borelli was solid, the offense opportunistic, and the team out for vengeance. Very happy for the seniors, who go out on top in their last home game at Meehan.

I'm also wondering how we ever kept up on the playoff race before Twitter and live scoreboards.

I'll post some more thoughts on the playoff series when we know what's going to happen. For the record, I was openly rooting for Yale today. I think since it helped Brown get into the playoffs that it's okay, even if that forces the Bears to play Cornell again.

Comment

I believe it is Clarkson and Brown in the quarterfinals
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  I believe it is Clarkson and Brown in the quarterfinals
                  It is. Clarkson just had an incredible turn of bad luck. Calof's goal against Harvard sent them from 8th to 10th. Truthfully, I was just hopeful that it wouldn't be Cornell. Not a matchup I wanted, and I think I speak for most of Brown Nation.

Comment

Clarkson is fine with me, though I'd have preferred Princeton. Either way, it's better than Cornell.

Comment

The Bears complete the 2012-13 regular season having earned at least a point from every conference rival except Dartmouth and take two points from the top-ranked Quinnipiac Bobcats by virtue of overtime ties. Brown finishes with an 11-12-6 overall record, captures 7th place in the ECAC standings (up from 12th place a season ago) and garners a home ice berth in the First Round of the ECAC Playoffs for the first time since 2005. Senior goalie Tony Borelli is third-ranked nationally in save percentage (.943) and fifth-ranked nationally in goals against average (1.77). All this while losing three key players for the season through injury.

If there is any justice in hockeyland, Brendan Whittet should be named 2013 ECAC Coach of the Year, and Tony Borelli should be the First Team All-Ivy goaltender.
                      LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Originally posted by bruno View Post
                        The Bears complete the 2012-13 regular season having earned at least a point from every conference rival except Dartmouth and take two points from the top-ranked Quinnipiac Bobcats by virtue of overtime ties. Brown finishes with an 11-12-6 overall record, captures 7th place in the ECAC standings (up from 12th place a season ago) and garners a home ice berth in the First Round of the ECAC Playoffs for the first time since 2005. Senior goalie Tony Borelli is third-ranked nationally in save percentage (.943) and fifth-ranked nationally in goals against average (1.77). All this while losing three key players for the season through injury.
                        If there is any justice in hockeyland, Brendan Whittet should be named 2013 ECAC Coach of the Year, and Tony Borelli should be the First Team All-Ivy goaltender.
                        Fantastic summary of a surprising season.

I've said before, it's not easy being a longtime Brown hockey fan. Our patience and loyalty have been tested more seasons than not. But a season like this one keeps hopes alive and gives us an essential ingredient for continued fandom: PRIDE.

Onward to the playoffs!

Comment

Remember the ECAC Pick The Playoffs thread is up and running. You have until 7PM on Friday to get your first round picks in.
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

My 2 cents on the Colgate game:

Terrific game Brown played. I was getting nervous 1st period as Colgate was getting a lot of good looks on Borelli as a result of some sharp passing, but Borelli stopped them all. Brown then clamped down and Colgate had few open shots for the rest of the game. Brown outskated Colgate throughout the game and as a result had several odd-man rushes. It was good to see the effort the forwards were making. Also, the fourth line gave Brown a lot of good minutes. I had seen the Colgate game at Hamilton and Brown played well there as well but missed some goals by an inch or less.

Good to see Lorito get the first goal. He gets a lot of attention from the D from the games I have seen, and Brown needs his scoring touch. Robertson is just a solid D-man. I have always thought from past years he was error prone. But I have seen no mistakes on his part in a longtime. He appears to be the key shut-down guy for Brown. Would like to see that booming slap-shot more, I will take his D.

I like the match-up next week with Clarkson, especially if Hathaway is back. With a win, Brown can possibly be back in the Capital District with a series against Union or RPI. Brendan will have some interesting decisions on his lines for that series, based on the paly over the past two games. BTW, what's up with LaMacchia. DNP Saturday.

Harlow, Borelli and Zaires certainly deserved the 3 stars. I would add 3 unsung players. Siers played a good physical game and was great on D. Anytime the puck went into the corners and Siers was on the ice, he got it. No penalties and no mistakes. It seems that Brendan got through to him to play under control. Hopefully, he plays next weekend. Prescott also played a stong game. Stripped the puck from a Colgate player several times and broke up a lot of Colgate passing attempts. I saw no mistakes on his part. Hourihan was terrific. He played like the absent Hathaway. He kept on camping out in front of Colgate's goalie and the D could move him out. He almost had another goal or two on attempted tip-ins.

Comment

Mike: I'm guessing no Lamacchia because Brown was manhandled physically without Hathaway on Friday and Whittet decided he needed some sort of enforcer. So Siers stepped in. Lamacchia has not been very effective lately anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

First, Congratulations on a great season. Your fans have been through a lot of tough years, and it's good for the Ivies and the ECAC when Brown is strong.

Your blog says Cornell's School of Agriculture and Life Sciences ("the Aggie school" in your blog) "is an advantage versus the other Ivies they have an arguably unfair recruiting advantage over other Ivy League schools in that they can offer athletes admission to the agricultural school."

It is, but not for the easy curriculum reasons implied. Because it is one of the Land Grant State divisions, it allows state residents admission at State tuition rates, and that certainly is an advantage for 5 of the 27 on the roster.

It is mostly an advantage for the quality of the education available there, most notably the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management, ranked in the top 5 in the country. 10 of Cornell's Hockey players are enrolled in this school, which admits less than 10% of applicants. It's also popular for pre-med, but only an occasional hockey player goes that route. And of course, Cornell offers athletes (and non athletes) admission to Arts and Sciences, Engineering, and others.

That may be Cornell's true recruiting advantage - a diversity of offerings for when athletics is over.

Good Luck against Clarkson - get as many Ivies as possible into the next round.
                                A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X