Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    H - You and I are on the same wave-length when it comes to Mike R. I was all set to give him the first star - flawless pronunciation of the Russian names with no hesitation whatsoever as the Russians skated up the ice. I think the last name of the color guy was Anderson and I too believe he was doing some of the football games last fall. He paired well with Mike but I do miss Jack. Anyone know who he is?

As to the game, I was surprised by the attendance - 1100. I didn't think a weeknight game would bring out a crowd, even for the Russians. I noticed that Siers was playing as an extra F. Were his two penalties bad ones? I have seen in the past that once he gets a chance to play and takes a bad penalty, Brendan sits him down. I have been hoping he can cut down on his penalties as he does bring a litlle chippiness to the ice.
    Was it actually 1100, or did they just fudge the numbers a little bit? I didn't catch the game and don't see highlights on brownbears.com yet.

The game was open to the public, so maybe some people figured what the heck?

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
      Was it actually 1100, or did they just fudge the numbers a little bit? I didn't catch the game and don't see highlights on brownbears.com yet.

The game was open to the public, so maybe some people figured what the heck?
      There was a great crowd. I would say the place was about 1/3 full - but the standing areas behind both nets were pretty full. Overall, a nice crowd. I'm sure the novelty of the international team drew some folks.

For a change, Brown has only the two games at home minus the students - some winter breaks have seen the Bears play 4-5 home games, and the resultant crowds have been atrocious. Still, nothing breeds a good crowd quite like a winner, so maybe the team can take care of business in the next six games, stay healthy, and build some energy into the second half of the season.

A few observations on the win over the Red Stars:

1. Jeffrey Ryan played like a guy whose playing time was being challenged. If the bottom four wings were being challenged for PT, Ryan made an emphatic statement that he was not relinquishing his spot. In particular, his hustle was exemplary on the kill, and his willingness to take shots gave him his chance at the natural hat trick. Granted, the Red Stars aren't an ECAC foe, but he played well nonetheless.

2. Brandon Pfeil is the real deal. I was very impressed by his play at UConn, and he was excellent against the Red Stars.

3. Anthony Borelli made a couple of very nice saves, and he appears to be playing with a bit more confidence. I did not see Marco on the bench, so he must be more hurt than I thought.

4. Jimmy Siers needs to modulate the energy. He took a bad penalty, looked out of control when playing, and certainly didn't inspire much confidence in letting him get back out there, since he sometimes was a bit hyper.

Good to see a break in the middle of the season. Hopefully the team can mend.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
        There was a great crowd. I would say the place was about 1/3 full - but the standing areas behind both nets were pretty full. Overall, a nice crowd. I'm sure the novelty of the international team drew some folks.

For a change, Brown has only the two games at home minus the students - some winter breaks have seen the Bears play 4-5 home games, and the resultant crowds have been atrocious. Still, nothing breeds a good crowd quite like a winner, so maybe the team can take care of business in the next six games, stay healthy, and build some energy into the second half of the season.
        Yeah...it's just too bad that those two games are against Harvard and Dartmouth, historically two of the biggest draws of the season. In fact, last year those two games were only surpassed by the Yale game, which commemorated the 50th Anniversary of Meehan Auditorium.

I'm sure the athletic department would love to have another "White-Out" against one of these teams, as those are typically well-attended by students and can get somewhat rowdy in the student section. Unfortunately for Brown, the the two teams it has had "White-Outs" against in the past are coming to Meehan during winter break.

Maybe they'll have it for the Yale or Cornell game. It would be nice to get the students to pack Meehan a couple times this year. It really is a better place to watch a hockey game when they do.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
          Yeah...it's just too bad that those two games are against Harvard and Dartmouth, historically two of the biggest draws of the season. In fact, last year those two games were only surpassed by the Yale game, which commemorated the 50th Anniversary of Meehan Auditorium.

I'm sure the athletic department would love to have another "White-Out" against one of these teams, as those are typically well-attended by students and can get somewhat rowdy in the student section. Unfortunately for Brown, the the two teams it has had "White-Outs" against in the past are coming to Meehan during winter break.

Maybe they'll have it for the Yale or Cornell game. It would be nice to get the students to pack Meehan a couple times this year. It really is a better place to watch a hockey game when they do.

Yes, but if any of those young students get a little bit rowdy and cheer too much, I'm sure the Athletic Department will send down its storm troopers armed with walkie-talkies and an over-inflated sense of their own self-worth to stop those troublemakers.

Maybe if the Athletic Department stopped trying at all costs to suck the life out of Meehan there would be a little more passion for this team.

Edit: My point being having a "white out" game strikes me as something someone would do to say in their year end review "Hey look I'm trying to get things done...I mean I handed out free t-shirts. What else do you want from me?????"
          Last edited by KFBS; 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

After a nice month-long delay, I finally posted something new on the blog! It's a nice, long piece to make up for lost time. Check it out!

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by KFBS View Post
              Yes, but if any of those young students get a little bit rowdy and cheer too much, I'm sure the Athletic Department will send down its storm troopers armed with walkie-talkies and an over-inflated sense of their own self-worth to stop those troublemakers.

Maybe if the Athletic Department stopped trying at all costs to suck the life out of Meehan there would be a little more passion for this team.

Edit: My point being having a "white out" game strikes me as something someone would do to say in their year end review "Hey look I'm trying to get things done...I mean I handed out free t-shirts. What else do you want from me?????"
              Well, I don't know about that, but I do know that when Meehan has a few hundred students in it, it's a lot louder and a lot more fun. And the white out is a good way to get the students to come out for a game and gets them energized when they see their classmates all wearing the same shirt. What college student is going to turn down a free t-shirt that they can get at an event they can easily get drunk before? Sounds like a 20-year-old's ideal weekend entertainment!

Side note: I had a typo when spelling "white out," and spelled it "whit out." This prompted me to think about a "Whitt-out," for Brendan Whittet. They could distribute white shirts with Whittet's face and a slogan from a Brown fight song or motto (like the "Ever True" shirts from a couple years ago). This would help the students identify with the coach, who is basically the face of the team and who is a Brown grad.

I'm thinking Brendan's face in black on a white shirt, and above it, "Brown man, born and bred."

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                Well, I don't know about that, but I do know that when Meehan has a few hundred students in it, it's a lot louder and a lot more fun. And the white out is a good way to get the students to come out for a game and gets them energized when they see their classmates all wearing the same shirt. What college student is going to turn down a free t-shirt that they can get at an event they can easily get drunk before? Sounds like a 20-year-old's ideal weekend entertainment!

Side note: I had a typo when spelling "white out," and spelled it "whit out." This prompted me to think about a "Whitt-out," for Brendan Whittet. They could distribute white shirts with Whittet's face and a slogan from a Brown fight song or motto (like the "Ever True" shirts from a couple years ago). This would help the students identify with the coach, who is basically the face of the team and who is a Brown grad.

I'm thinking Brendan's face in black on a white shirt, and above it, "Brown man, born and bred."
                This isn't a bad idea, but the athletic department no doubt would have to be careful about NCAA compliance with stuff like this. When you see shirts around with coaches or players names on them, you have to remember that the NCAA prohibits a college from making a profit off the sale of merchandise with a player's mug on it. I don't know if this extends to coaches or not, but the only shirts that can officially be sold have to be through third party affiliates. That's why Boston College cannot sell the t-shirts that say Gaudreauby Baker on them, but rather they are sold by BC Interruption, a third party website unaffiliated with the university. BC's university did get special permission, however, to sell commemorative gear with Jerry York on the shirt for picking up win 925. Or at least that's my understanding. It's also why if you pick up a video game, the coaches and players are never named. The Gonzaga coach or Duke coach in a college basketball or football game is always "COACH ZAGS" or "COACH DUKE" or something like that. Players are then named "PF #15" or "QB #10." Yeah - we all know that QB #10 for Texas A&M is Johnny Manzell. They just can't sell the jersey with his name on it or put his physical name in the game. But you can sure as heck edit the name to put his name in there (that's not the university profiting) or generate fake names, and, on the flip side, they can sell a #10 jersey at Texas A&M's bookstore but not put the actual name on the jersey, even though we all know who it is.

Make sense so far? No? Good.

Even if it's being given away, the incentive to come with somebody's face or name on a shirt has the potential to run into some gray area. Brown is more apt to just put a slogan on the shirt without the players. Also, with this particular example, I believe UNH would have an issue since the Whittemore Center is built on Lake Whitt. So while I like where your heads at, it's more likely that Brown will only be able to license the university logos and put a slogan than to put an actual name or reference a player or coach on the shirt. It just gets into too much royalty mumbo jumbo that the NCAA enforces more often than not.

Just remember though, it's perfectly acceptable to recruit a player who's already committed to another university. But God forbid you try to entice students to come out the game by doing something witty and fun. Yayyyy NCAA!
                Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                  This isn't a bad idea, but the athletic department no doubt would have to be careful about NCAA compliance with stuff like this. When you see shirts around with coaches or players names on them, you have to remember that the NCAA prohibits a college from making a profit off the sale of merchandise with a player's mug on it. I don't know if this extends to coaches or not, but the only shirts that can officially be sold have to be through third party affiliates. That's why Boston College cannot sell the t-shirts that say Gaudreauby Baker on them, but rather they are sold by BC Interruption, a third party website unaffiliated with the university. BC's university did get special permission, however, to sell commemorative gear with Jerry York on the shirt for picking up win 925. Or at least that's my understanding. It's also why if you pick up a video game, the coaches and players are never named. The Gonzaga coach or Duke coach in a college basketball or football game is always "COACH ZAGS" or "COACH DUKE" or something like that. Players are then named "PF #15" or "QB #10." Yeah - we all know that QB #10 for Texas A&M is Johnny Manzell. They just can't sell the jersey with his name on it or put his physical name in the game. But you can sure as heck edit the name to put his name in there (that's not the university profiting) or generate fake names, and, on the flip side, they can sell a #10 jersey at Texas A&M's bookstore but not put the actual name on the jersey, even though we all know who it is.

Make sense so far? No? Good.

Even if it's being given away, the incentive to come with somebody's face or name on a shirt has the potential to run into some gray area. Brown is more apt to just put a slogan on the shirt without the players. Also, with this particular example, I believe UNH would have an issue since the Whittemore Center is built on Lake Whitt. So while I like where your heads at, it's more likely that Brown will only be able to license the university logos and put a slogan than to put an actual name or reference a player or coach on the shirt. It just gets into too much royalty mumbo jumbo that the NCAA enforces more often than not.

Just remember though, it's perfectly acceptable to recruit a player who's already committed to another university. But God forbid you try to entice students to come out the game by doing something witty and fun. Yayyyy NCAA!
                  Looks like I'll have to start my own Brown merchandising company! Any takers on investments?

Comment

Brown fans can rejoice tonight. Roy was steamrolled, and Bentley rolled past NU in a game almost everyone is admitting NU was not ready for.
                    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Brown fans can rejoice tonight. Roy was steamrolled, and Bentley rolled past NU in a game almost everyone is admitting NU was not ready for.
                      I saw the score and was very pleased. Go Bentley!

Comment

• Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                        I was equally pleased by the reaction on the Northeastern board. Generally, NU fans are good people, not as obnoxious as some of the other posters here or in person, and knowledgeable about the game. It appears that the frustration with the current coaching staff is already starting to rear its ugly head.

Apparently, they have a bu ch of guys who may or may not be good hockey players, some of whom have seen their development recede under Mssrs. Madigan and Keefe.

Not to worry, NU fans... Maybe Niagara or Bentley have some decent recruits your staff can poach.

I understand that Bentley may not be BC or Minnesota, but that's a good win for them. And given Marc White's ties to the Bentley program, I'm sure he grinned a little on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                          Two quick comments:

1. Re. Dick Toomey's teams: Toomey was, I believe, a great coach. But he also benefited from looser standards in Brown's Admissions Office and in Ivy League sports in general. Remember that there was no Academic Index.

2. In the 1996-97 season Damian Prescott scored 20 goals, but the team finished last and didn't make the playoffs. (At that time, ten out of twelve teams made the playoffs.) In 1997-98 Prescott scored 25 goals, the team finished fourth in the league, but was eliminated by Princeton in the quarterfinals.
                          True and true.

However:

1. Since all Ivies are bound by today's stricter academic standards, I can't imagine why Brown can't out-recruit Harvard, Dartmouth, Yale etc. every few years and build a very competitive team NOW.

2. We may not have finished high in the rankings in the late 1990s, but having a star forward who sparkles and makes you go "ooooo!" with his stick-handling and scoring can sweeten the season for discouraged fans. There is nothing like an up-ice dash complete with dekes and feints, and ending in a brilliant goal, to bring the crowd to its feet and get the endorphins flowing. And that feeling that every time such a player is on the ice, amazing things can happen -- that's priceless from a fan standpoint. I'm still waiting for that kind of scorer in this century. Harry came close his senior year (not as much finesse as Prescott but a tougher, grittier player who made huge plays and could also flatten an opponent). Jack M. never really panned out as we'd hoped for various reasons.

I guess at this age I've heard all the excuses, I've heard "but they were all one-goal losses!" too many times, I've heard about recruiting obstacles, etc. I still think the institution, from the A.D. on up, could address this deflated hockey program far more aggressively and raise Brown hockey up from the doldrums if it were a priority. For starters, it would take more money for the program (including higher coaches' salaries to attract TOP talent) and a little leaning on the admission office to bend for the best players, within the rules. Hope I'm alive to see it!

Comment

Ha ha -- that's funny, if bittersweet. Let's all chip in and make the T-shirts ourselves, and hawk them across the street on game nights. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by KFBS View Post

Darth Bruno will have a word with the storm troopers. Beware The Force, peons!

But seriously. The university's sports arenas feel so over-censored and -managed these days. Not to play the geezer card, but I'm an old hippie-era fan and can remember all the obscene chants and songs led by THE BAND with the entire rink chiming in; overtly gross and hysterically funny football halftime shows (old alums of that time were apoplectic); Lynah-worthy hazing of the opposing team behind its bench by bare-chested frat brothers throughout entire games (no storm troopers intervened); and vicious, coordinated catcalls aimed at refs.

So naughty! And so cool for school/team spirit! Good times.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                                True and true.

However:

1. Since all Ivies are bound by today's stricter academic standards, I can't imagine why Brown can't out-recruit Harvard, Dartmouth, Yale etc. every few years and build a very competitive team NOW.
                                A. Prestige. Brown is relatively unknown compared to Harvard and Yale, and doesn't have any sort of brand name within college hockey since we haven't been a truly successful team since the '70's.
                                B. $$$$$$$. Harvard and Yale are much more aggressive with their financial aid packages for athletes, which allows them to guarantee players basically a free ride for four years. Brown doesn't necessarily have that luxury because of the general disinterest in athletics from the administration.

Comment

Working...
                                X