Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

With the 2012 recruiting class having accepted Brown's offer of admission, the 2013 recruiting class is now taking shape. Two players to watch are Tyler Wood (defenseman, Nobles) and Zack Pryzbeck (left wing, Salisbury), big, physical kids, who are on the NHL Central Scouting list. Tyler's father is Randy Wood (Yale'86), who had a thirteen-year career with the NY Islanders, Buffalo, and Toronto.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
      Here we go!! A tip of the hat to Bruno for the title.

For an initial comment, here is some info Bruno came up with:

Johnny Gaudreau - 2010 - 2011 USHL Dubuque Fighting Saints Regular Season - 36 - 36 - 72 points

Kevin Roy - 2011 - 2012 USHL Lincoln Stars Regular Season(2 games to go) - 52 - 48 - 100 points

I am trying to control my excitement.
      Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but saw this and figured you all would want to see... http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...l-he.html#more

Next season Roy is slated to attend Brown University, but sources tell TPS that may not happen. Now before you rush out and buy your Kevin Roy Quebec Remparts jersey, the CHL might not be his destination either. Patrick Roy has reached out to the Roy - no relation - family but so far they aren't interested in the major junior route. Roy's family really wants him to get an education while playing hockey and feel the NCAA is the best path. But Brown might not be it, after all when you count Yan Danis, Tim Bothwell and Todd Simpson as your top alumni, it doesn't exactly scream next level development. Instead TPS has been told the Roy camp is exploring getting out of his commitment and possibly playing for Boston University or Boston College if possible. If was a betting man I would bet against Brown, and while 4 years at BU or BC would be good for Roy's development, don't count out Patrick's pursuit in Quebec.

Comment

Not to suggest that the kid isn't anything but a total stud, but I believe Gaudreau was at least a year younger which does count for something.

Comment

As an NU fan who was extremely excited about Gaudreau only for him to decommit from us, you guys have my sympathy in regard to the Roy situation. He looks like a real stud.

Comment

Roy could have been a cornerstone player for this program. Its too bad he ended up screwing the program over. He was a BU/BC kid all along and I thougth maybe he'd sneak through. Too bad. I dont think he's a Gaudreau-type of impact player at Brown like he would if he ended up at BC.
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

i sincerely doubt he ends up at bu, they had to shuffle stuff and lose a recruit just to fit kurker in. can't imagine they'd be able to take on roy now.

Comment

Originally posted by Satanic Husky View Post
                i sincerely doubt he ends up at bu, they had to shuffle stuff and lose a recruit just to fit kurker in. can't imagine they'd be able to take on roy now.
                Good point, but is BC in any better shape on the scholarship front? If not, it may come down to what they can offer for years 2-4.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                  Roy could have been a cornerstone player for this program. Its too bad he ended up screwing the program over. He was a BU/BC kid all along and I thougth maybe he'd sneak through. Too bad. I dont think he's a Gaudreau-type of impact player at Brown like he would if he ended up at BC.
                  I am not ready to give-up on Roy. Brown has a lot to offer - top-flight Ivy League education; opportunity to be a high impact player immediately; terrific head coach who has Brown on the rise; and the ability to play with his older brother. The brother's presence at Brown may be the key factor.

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                    Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but saw this and figured you all would want to see... http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...l-he.html#more
                    If all that matters is to prepare Kevin Roy for a hockey career, it makes sense for him to go to BU or BC, or another school with a big time hockey program. In terms of hockey alone, Brown cannot compete with BU or BC.

I think it'd be easier to understand what the Roy family is going through if we imagined a scenario in which Kevin was one of the smartest and best prepared high school students in the United States who, somehow, had been accepted early decision by BU or BC, before he was recognized with a plethora of academic awards. Brown, Princeton, and Dartmouth came calling on his parents and tried to convince them that their son's academic talents would be wasted if the kid went to a second tier university when he could be sitting next to the brightest students in the country and taught by an internationally recognized faculty -- not to mention his future income potential as an Ivy League graduate.

The primary mission of the athletic programs at Brown is not to prepare young people to become professional athletes. The goal is for young people to receive a world class education while participating in athletic competition at the highest level. When the opportunity arises to play professionally, they should definitely pursue it, but knowing fully well that most don't make it and professional careers in general last only a few years. Let's not forget, for example, that Yann Danis was not only a two-time All America goaltender, but also an Academic All-America. Tim Bothwell graduated "magna cum laude." Etc. Kevin Roy should only come to Brown if he's interested in combining an unparalleled education with participation in a hockey program on the cusp of becoming a contender for the ECAC title and beyond. If the only goal is to play hockey, then BU or BC, or North Dakota, for that matter, will do. And I'd wish him the best.
                    Last edited by Euler18; 06-01-2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                      If all that matters is to prepare Kevin Roy for a hockey career, it makes sense for him to go to BU or BC, or another school with a big time hockey program. In terms of hockey alone, Brown cannot compete with BU or BC.

I think it'd be easier to understand what the Roy family is going through if we imagined a scenario in which Kevin was one of the smartest and best prepared high school students in the United States who, somehow, had been accepted early decision by BU or BC, before he was recognized with a plethora of academic awards. Brown, Princeton, and Dartmouth came calling on his parents and tried to convince them that their son's academic talents would be wasted if the kid went to a second tier university when he could be sitting next to the brightest students in the country and taught by an internationally recognized faculty -- not to mention his future income potential as an Ivy League graduate.

The primary mission of the athletic programs at Brown is not to prepare young people to become professional athletes. The goal is for young people to receive a world class education while participating in athletic competition at the highest level. When the opportunity arises to play professionally, they should definitely pursue it, but knowing fully well that most don't make it and professional careers in general last only a few years. Let's not forget, for example, that Yann Danis was not only a two-time All America goaltender, but also an Academic All-America. Tim Bothwell graduated "magna cum laude." Etc. Kevin Roy should only come to Brown if he's interested in combining an unparalleled education with participation in a hockey program on the cusp of becoming a contender for the ECAC title and beyond. If the only goal is to play hockey, then BU or BC, or North Dakota, for that matter, will do. And I'd wish him the best.
                      An excellent synopsis, Euler.

However, you'd think he would realize that Brown is more than just a place to play hockey before committing, if that's really what he's going to school for. It's certainly not a slight on BU or BC, which are tremendous institutes that are really only a small step below the Ivies in terms of quality of education, but they are certainly known to take on more athletes who might not necessarily be interested in the academic aspect of college. And if Roy only wants a bridge to the NHL, he should definitely attend one of those schools.

But, again, how would he not know that Brown isn't such a school?

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        Good point, but is BC in any better shape on the scholarship front? If not, it may come down to what they can offer for years 2-4.
                        no, bc has no open scholarships as far as i know. clendening's departure means bu has an open scholarship now but i'd think they'd want a d man. then again, roy's talent may transcend need.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post

Are you really saying BU and BC aren't quality institutions? I'll agree that UND is probably way below par academically, but saying BU and BC don't take their academics seriously is ludicrous. To say Brown doesn't take students who are there primarily for athletics, remember Brown did have the Nuzzos. No slight to them, but I don't think Matt Nuzzo is a Brown alum today if never touched a baseball or football.

Regarding Roy, it wouldn't be hard for any school to "create" scholarship space just like a NFL team can "create cap space". I wish him the best wherever he goes. It would have been nice to have him, but I guess is speaks to Brown's future if they can get a kid like this to commit in the first place. Movin' on.
                          Last edited by Onion Man; 06-02-2012, 09:26 AM.
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Good news about Roy. From today's Providence Journal:

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...&view=ZW50aXR5

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                              Good news about Roy. From today's Providence Journal:

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...&view=ZW50aXR5

"While there have been rumors that he was considering decommitting from Brown, Roy said in a recent interview that he is looking forward to playing for the Bears this fall."

Well, that's terrific news in light of recent discussion. Let's hope he's a man of his word.

Comment

I wouldn't put too much faith in that ProJo article, seriously....

Comment

Working...
                                X