Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    I know the water is over the bridge, but Kevin Roy would have made this team so much better. The only thing uglier than the power play are the halloween costumes they wore this past weekend. Another long year....
    He ain't exactly setting the world on fire. After 5 games 2 goals and 1 assist and Northeastern has been shut out twice already and has a 2-3-1 record.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
      He [Kevin Roy] ain't exactly setting the world on fire. After 5 games 2 goals and 1 assist and Northeastern has been shut out twice already and has a 2-3-1 record.
      If Kevin Roy hadn't reneged on his signed agreement to attend Brown (whatever the "experts" say, Roy didn't have a "verbal" agreement with Brown; as an early decision candidate, he signed a form agreeing to attend Brown if accepted, and once accepted returned a signed card informing the university that he would attend), Brown probably would have been picked a bit higher than 12th by the league coaches.

Roy is a very skilled player, who, after the initial adjustment period, will become a solid Division I player, and help Northeastern. He'd have helped Brown tremendously on the scoring front. What Roy's parents and Northeastern fans will soon realize, however, is that Kevin is not the second coming of Paul Karyia; probably not even the second coming of Johnny Gaudreau.

Comment

He's the type of player Brown gets every ten years (while schools like Harvard, BC etc) get every three. He's better than what we have, that is pretty dayum obvious
        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
          The two supposedly top defensemen had dreadful games. Everybody in the league knows that Dennis Robertson will cough up the puck if pressured at the offensive blue line. Matt Wahl was trying to do too much. Here's a solid defensive defenseman who has decided (or been told) to become an offensive player. Though he defends and passes well coming out of the defensive zone, he can't stickhandle the puck and his shot is non-existent.

The power play continues to be dreadful. First, no quarterback. (Neither Wahl nor Robertson can play that role.) Second, little or no movement. Everybody stands around. Guys only start moving when they receive a pass rather than moving IN ORDER TO make themselves open to accept a pass.
          OUCH - not a positive outlook this early in the season.

Comment

Just out of curiosity to see where your thoughts are at...if Brown finishes in the bottom three again this year...will you start questioning Whittet's hiring and future on the job?
            Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
              Just out of curiosity to see where your thoughts are at...if Brown finishes in the bottom three again this year...will you start questioning Whittet's hiring and future on the job?
              I don't know if this question was directed to me or to others. Here's my answer:

1. Brendan Whittet is doing a very good job under difficult circumstances. We should continue to support him.

2. The purpose of this discussion list is to exchange ideas about the program--what is good (most) or bad (little). It's not designed as a process of canonization of Brendan or any coach or player.

3. Brown will not finish at the bottom of the league.

Comment

This has been the over/under question for some time. How long will it take before folks throw Brendan under the bus.

Lucky for Brendan the crew here has been able to point their venom at an 18/19 year old kid for the last 3 months. Most likely, delaying the inevitable.

Comment

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

I posted some thoughts about this past weekend.

As for throwing Brendan under the bus- I'd say he's earned a few more years before we should start questioning his ability. I believe he'll be able to field a winning team sooner rather than later (though I don't expect it to be this year). I was very openly critical of him last season, but I think I was very frustrated with a disappointing season and overreacted completely.

18/19-year-olds are adults, and should be held accountable for their actions just like any other adult. Old enough to vote and serve in the military = old enough to know right from wrong. And the way that punk treated a program he had spent over two years gushing over was just plain old wrong. If he knew he would have rather attended Northeastern, he should not have hid his intentions from Brown, and he should have made it clear much sooner than he did. You can make excuses for him all you want, but the fact of the matter is that he screwed over a place that was going to provide him with a world-class education an a Division 1 hockey experience, and had done nothing but pamper him.

Frankly, I'm sick of even talking about it, so that's the last time I'll comment on the situation.

Comment

My 2 cents - I am 100+% behind Brendan. He is restoring pride to a program that had fallen on hard times. It took nate Leaman several years to get Union to the top and I see Brendan doing that with Buno.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                      My 2 cents - I am 100+% behind Brendan. He is restoring pride to a program that had fallen on hard times. It took nate Leaman several years to get Union to the top and I see Brendan doing that with Buno.
                      For what it's worth it takes longer at certain places if there is no winning tradition to be rebuilding to. Brown doesn't exactly have a great, storied tradition of winning in the last 10-12 years. There were a couple of years in there where they were solid and finished high in the conference, but they failed to build on that and bottomed back out. For all intents and purposes, Brendan Whittet is trying to build something worse than an expansion program; he's trying to convince us that the Cleveland Browns can become the New England Patriots.

FWIW, that earns him at least a 6-7 year reprieve as opposed to 2-3 year turnarounds. He needs to get his guys in here just to tread some form of water before he can land recruits. Recruiting hasn't been the issue, evidenced by the fact that Brown got Roy before Northeastern poached him. He's had some solid recruits. He just needs to put it all together. I'd give him an additional 2-3 years on top of what he's done already. If he can't turn it around in the next couple of years, then Brown will need to make a change.

Programs like Brown need 7 years to rebuild. It takes a coach 4 just to implement his system and get a full complement of players just to demo the system. He needs to go from demonstrating a system with guys who aren't his to demonstrating a system with lower-quality guys who he brought in to bringing in the big guns. That's a huge process.
                      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                        For what it's worth it takes longer at certain places if there is no winning tradition to be rebuilding to. Brown doesn't exactly have a great, storied tradition of winning in the last 10-12 years. There were a couple of years in there where they were solid and finished high in the conference, but they failed to build on that and bottomed back out. For all intents and purposes, Brendan Whittet is trying to build something worse than an expansion program; he's trying to convince us that the Cleveland Browns can become the New England Patriots.

FWIW, that earns him at least a 6-7 year reprieve as opposed to 2-3 year turnarounds. He needs to get his guys in here just to tread some form of water before he can land recruits. Recruiting hasn't been the issue, evidenced by the fact that Brown got Roy before Northeastern poached him. He's had some solid recruits. He just needs to put it all together. I'd give him an additional 2-3 years on top of what he's done already. If he can't turn it around in the next couple of years, then Brown will need to make a change.

Programs like Brown need 7 years to rebuild. It takes a coach 4 just to implement his system and get a full complement of players just to demo the system. He needs to go from demonstrating a system with guys who aren't his to demonstrating a system with lower-quality guys who he brought in to bringing in the big guns. That's a huge process.
                        Not a Brown fan,but well said
                        RPI

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                          I agree wth Mike Hutter. I remain 100% behind Brendan Whittet and his coaching staff. I'm as positive about Brendan today as I was the day I wrote my evaluation of his performance as a candidate for the Brown job in July 2009 after interviewing four other strong candidates.

I'm also very proud of Brendan for his solid values and his love for Brown University. Brendan has never thought of the Brown head coaching position as a stepping stone to anything else. Brown is where he's always wanted to be. I'm glad we were able to offer him his dream job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
                            I don't know if this question was directed to me or to others. Here's my answer:

1. Brendan Whittet is doing a very good job under difficult circumstances. We should continue to support him.

2. The purpose of this discussion list is to exchange ideas about the program--what is good (most) or bad (little). It's not designed as a process of canonization of Brendan or any coach or player.

3. Brown will not finish at the bottom of the league.
                            I really like that second point!! Let's hope Brendan is able to dodge that bullet over the coming years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Humanoid View Post

FWIW, that earns him at least a 6-7 year reprieve as opposed to 2-3 year turnarounds. He needs to get his guys in here just to tread some form of water before he can land recruits. Recruiting hasn't been the issue, evidenced by the fact that Brown got Roy before Northeastern poached him. He's had some solid recruits. He just needs to put it all together. .
                              Agreed. I have seen Brown get better in terms of talent, and there have been flashes. I find Coach Whittet to be a terrific motivator of men, and I appreciate his tactical adjustments and ability. That said, we are three years in. People forget that even when Roger Grillo and Bob Gaudet had their best teams at Brown, they were 4-5 years into the job.

And, to the point of player development, I can only imagine what kind of career(s) guys like Vokes, Slais, Prough, Hurley, Garbutt, Zolnierczyk, Volpatti, et al would have had with four years, since the latter two turned into bona fide league stars in just a year or two under his tutelage.

Comment

You have less than 27 hours to get your picks in or revise your picks to the ECAC Pick The Standings 2012-2013 thread. Remember 7PM Friday is the deadline.
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X