Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
    Are you for real? Brown reportedly gave each kid a $50,000 scholarship for four years, whether they played hockey or not. Such offers are part of acceptance letters. The Roys accepted the offer from Brown in writing. Once they did, Brown couldn't change its mind any longer. Please, keep in mind that each Roy also received a recruiting slot, which moved them over many talented kids with straight A academic averages who didn't get in. Imagine how much an admission slot to Brown would be worth if it could be traded in the open market. Brown receives 30,000 applications for 1,500 spots. An admission slot to Brown is a very valuable commodity.

So this is the consideration: in recognition of their hockey talent, the Roys were given places in the class of 2016 plus $200,000 each in scholarship money. I understand they're good students, who attended excellent prep schools, but it's fair to assume that without that valuable recruiting slot, they wouldn't have gotten into Brown. Being even an outstanding student doesn't ensure admission to Brown. As someone has said, the Ivies are known for turning down hundreds of valedictorians. So, the Roys received quite a bit of consideration.
    You really need to educate yourself about a great many topics. Suffice it to say that's not how athletic scholarships work, even at schools which have them, which Brown doesn't. I agree that an admission slot is valuable - but they already gave it back (still in its original packaging!) so Brown didn't really lose anything.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Are you for real? Brown reportedly gave each kid a $50,000 scholarship for four years, whether they played hockey or not. Such offers are part of acceptance letters. The Roys accepted the offer from Brown in writing. Once they did, Brown couldn't change its mind any longer. Please, keep in mind that each Roy also received a recruiting slot, which moved them over many talented kids with straight A academic averages who didn't get in. Imagine how much an admission slot to Brown would be worth if it could be traded in the open market. Brown receives 30,000 applications for 1,500 spots. An admission slot to Brown is a very valuable commodity.

So this is the consideration: in recognition of their hockey talent, the Roys were given places in the class of 2016 plus $200,000 each in scholarship money. I understand they're good students, who attended excellent prep schools, but it's fair to assume that without that valuable recruiting slot, they wouldn't have gotten into Brown. Being even an outstanding student doesn't ensure admission to Brown. As someone has said, the Ivies are known for turning down hundreds of valedictorians. So, the Roys received quite a bit of consideration.
      Brown isn't out a **** thing other than a bruised ego in the hockey office. The kids didn't spend a dime of the supposed $200k each you say the school is out. Please, show me the two empty seats in the freshman orientation seminars ..."Oh, what's that you say? There aren't any empty seats?" That's because the spots they were "given" in the class of 2016 were FILLED by academically qualified kids who are likely paying most or all of their tuition, so the institution is actually making out BETTER financially.

This is a spilled milk argument. When you get into the tall grass recruiting blue chippers, this is the risk you take. No one knows that better than Whittet. Get over it already.
      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 08-24-2012, 03:49 PM.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Obviously you can't read. I said that the autobiographies mention that the Roys are students at Northeastern, so it's fair to assume that the texts were written over the past thirty days. But Derick's autobiography, even though it states that he's a goaltender at Northeastern University, also includes the curious sentence about his acceptance to Brown. It appears that Brown is still on the kid's mind. It has been reported by someone on this thread that Derick was in tears when he called coach Whittet about the decommitment. I would be, too, if my family had decided that I should turn Brown down to attend Northeastern.
        I can hear your teeth grinding from here...really dude, ya gotta let it go...
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Hey, everyone who's not a Brown fan...you can leave now! Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out. And please, do hesitate to return.

And Brown fans, it's time to talk hockey. The Roys are gone. Dang. Tough bananas. But we've got a very promising hockey team and a young coach who is sure to turn this slap in the face into motivation to get his team ready for this year. So let's talk about that.

And stay tuned, I plan on posting some new content to the blog in the coming days.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

And Brown fans, it's time to talk hockey. The Roys are gone. Dang. Tough bananas. But we've got a very promising hockey team and a young coach who is sure to turn this slap in the face into motivation to get his team ready for this year. So let's talk about that.
            Let's Go Bruno!! How abour this:

http://news.providencejournal.com/sp...-of-valor.html

Comment

Good site for comments on ECAC teams. Brown should be soon:

http://www.withoutapeer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post

I would predict that Tom will have it up on Wednesday.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Thanks Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                    Hey, everyone who's not a Brown fan...you can leave now! Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out. And please, do hesitate to return.
                    Yes!

Comment

This is an excellent site. Tom Reale is knowledgeable and fair-minded.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                        This is an excellent site. Tom Reale is knowledgeable and fair-minded.
                        Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.
                        Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Get out of this thread Ralph, you are no longer allowed, even with useful information!
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                            Get out of this thread Ralph, you are no longer allowed, even with useful information!
                            Well, in that case, I will post the link and leave.

I have no connection to WaP except as a reader.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I think it is a fair assessment. Potential is there only limited by not playing "cohesively" as Tom mentions.

Comment

I think it is a fair assessment. Potential is there only limited by not playing "cohesively" as Tom mentions.

Saying that we're starting from scratch on defense because of the loss of Clemente and Buvinow may be a slight overstatement. Yes losing Clemente leaves the team without a clear #1 goaltender, but Buvinow was, last year, at best the #2 guy on the 2nd defensive pairing.

Comment

Working...
                                X