Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
    All 100% legal. No NLOI signed in the Ivy League. What probably happened is he was borderline out all this time and when he went to Ducks camp, some people he should transfer.
    see post 218 in this thread . Peer review (and derision) of ones choices can change many a decision.
    Last edited by vicb; 07-31-2012, 05:39 AM.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Yale just went through the same scenario with a kid named Colin Sullivan who who decommited this past spring after a verbal agreement to attend. He was scooped up by BC. I think the Ivy League should reconsider using the letter of intent form if these type of issues continue to rear thier ugly heads.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        If this recruit happens to go to a school you will be playing, are you going to boo him whenever he touches the puck?
        I hope Brown fans would mock him. Booing is for the bourgeoisie.

:-P

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          There's no such thing as "tampering" (from an NCAA-legalistic point of view) with an Ivy recruit, since they don't sign LOIs. I think most coaches respect the verbal commitments they make, but if an Ivy-committed athlete contacts THEM, I can't really blame them for taking the call.
          Maybe it's not "tampering", but I think we can all agree that such behavior would demonstrate low ethical standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
            Definitely. And when it becomes public, the tampering will become evident.
            The dictionary definition of tamper is "to interfere in a harmful manner" or "to carry on underhand or improper negotiations," both of which apply here. Brown09 is therefore correct in his/her use of the term.

I tend to agree with Brown09. I believe that at some point soon the deceit, the lies and, yes, the betrayal will become evident.

Does anyone believe that Kevin Roy and his family simply decided on a Sunday afternoon that Brown didn't provide him with "the stuff" (Kevin's terminology) the young man was looking for without having already explored other options? I don't think they're that stupid...

In this affair I feel most sorry for Kevin's brother Derick, a netminder of moderate ability, whom the Brown coaching staff was willing to try to develop into a Division I goaltender under the tutelage of the outstanding goaltending coach Tony Cerisi. Unlike his brother, Derick is not good enough a prospect for a Division I athletic scholarship. When the brothers "decommitted," he gave back a scholarship reportedly worth $200,000 for four years to attend one of the best universities in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              Yale just went through the same scenario with a kid named Colin Sullivan who who decommited this past spring after a verbal agreement to attend. He was scooped up by BC. I think the Ivy League should reconsider using the letter of intent form if these type of issues continue to rear thier ugly heads.
              I agree with you.

Brown has gone through this situation several times before, most recently with Ben Rosen, who decommitted from Brown in the spring of 2009 to attend Boston University, and Lindsay Sparks, who decommitted from Brown in 2008 to attend the University of Michigan. I think that what's particularly ugly in Roy's case is the lateness of the announcement, combined with Kevin's repeated statements about his commitment to Brown even as the family was reportedly exploring other options.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                I agree with you.

Brown has gone through this situation several times before, most recently with Ben Rosen, who decommitted from Brown in the spring of 2009 to attend Boston University, and Lindsay Sparks, who decommitted from Brown in 2008 to attend the University of Michigan. I think that what's particularly ugly in Roy's case is the lateness of the announcement, combined with Kevin's repeated statements about his commitment to Brown even as the family was reportedly exploring other options.
                If I'm not mistaken, Rosen's older brother had fallen out of favor with the Brown coaching staff at the time. Plus Rosen's decommit to go to BU could've been based on actual hockey, since he played for the national championship team in 2009.

Still, though, the issue of decommitting appears to allow it far too quickly from Ivy League schools. The Ivies should be treated the same just as anyone else.
                Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                  Plus Rosen's decommit to go to BU could've been based on actual hockey, since he played for the national championship team in 2009.
                  Nope, he did not.
                  http://www.collegehockeynews.com/players/?pd=27066
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I wouldn't be too concerned over losing a guy with 9 points in 3 seasons for BU.

Still, that this has happened so often recently is disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                      I wouldn't be too concerned over losing a guy [Ben Rosen] with 9 points in 3 seasons for BU.
                      It seems that the Rosens were upset when Ben's brother Dan, a goaltender, began to lose ice time to Mike Clemente under the previous coaching regime. Ben allegedly didn't want to play for Roger Grillo.

Ben was a skilled defenseman in juniors and probably would have been a regular at defense for Brendan Whittet. Not a star, but solid. At BU he's been mainly a fourth line forward, which is not his natural position. Decommitting from Brown doesn't appear to have been a good decision in Ben's case.

Comment

Reports are that the Roys will be playing on St. Botolph this fall.
                        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Reports are that the Roys will be playing on St. Botolph this fall.
                          I'll have to make the drive up to Matthews to heckle them.

Plus, Matthews is the best place to watch a college hockey game, so why not?

Comment

From posts on the Northeastern thread, it does in fact appear that the Roys are going to NE. Seems logical choice with Jerry Keefe there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                              From posts on the Northeastern thread, it does in fact appear that the Roys are going to NE. Seems logical choice with Jerry Keefe there.
                              Judd Brackett ‏@Canuckscout

Kevin and Derick Roy headed to Northeastern. #HockeyEast #USHL #EJHL @Roy_K15 @DerickRoy1
                              Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                              Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Judd Brackett ‏@Canuckscout

Kevin and Derick Roy headed to Northeastern. #HockeyEast #USHL #EJHL @Roy_K15 @DerickRoy1
                                Skinsfan

Brackett has had the correct story on a lot of recruiting battles. Lets hope he is right again. Still, I'd feel better seeing this confirmed by some other credible sources.

I'm puzzled as to why you're not also posting on DHD. Or are you there under a different handle?

Comment

Working...
                                X